Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@tonyl

Yes, I wasn't sure. In retrospect, given what Norman has been told, it is pretty clear. I guess I didn't read it properly when I did mine. If they still use the same form I don't think the reg doc is needed, and if asked I just used the temp reg no they Campirama lent me (even though it's not a real one....). Perhaps we've all been doing it wrong for a while then?

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
I will keep you updated. The last phonecall to IVA appointments said that they were 3-4 weeks behind before they could look at the application form. Campirama said that the'd set the lights but took it to my local MOT garage this morning to check on their beamsetter, they were wrong so they took the units out and re-set them. I still haven't managed to track down the Merc chassis number stamped on the chassis, another search called for.
Hey Jenben...I wonder if Campirama gave us the same number??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Makes you wonder if Brexit effects are starting to kick in.
Doubt it government were caught with their knickers down. My mates daughter was working for the treasury until recently, they had nothing in place at all, completely taken by surprise they never expected the vote to go that way.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007

We had '1 ZAI 716'

Given the courier we used to return the plates managed to lose them I suspect you got a different number.

Chassis numbers probably different on Mercedes but on Fiat Exsis I its on the front wheel arch , accessed via the battery compartment next to the passenger seat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I will keep you updated. The last phonecall to IVA appointments said that they were 3-4 weeks behind before they could look at the application form. Campirama said that the'd set the lights but took it to my local MOT garage this morning to check on their beamsetter, they were wrong so they took the units out and re-set them. I still haven't managed to track down the Merc chassis number stamped on the chassis, another search called for.
As been said you don't need an IVA test just need to fill out the VCA form and send it in with C of C and garage statement and pay VCA £100 they will then send you a certificate that allows you to registered the van.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Following this and just amazed that our dear old bureaucracy has actually managed to make what should be a simple system even more of a bureaucratic nightmare and I bet somebody will try and blame the EU for it, whereas the reverse is the actual case. Our re-reg was blissful by comparison with what @Norman Jones is having to go through. Moral of story Buy a nice not new RMB next time !! :):):)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
I bet you both drove back from Dover illegally (like me).:ROFLMAO:

Hmm :whistle::whistle: personally I was on my way to have RH MOT'd (perfectly legal) it just happened that my house was conveniently situated half way between the Newcastle ferry and the MOT place in Edinburgh:whistle::whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Geronimo!
Happened to find the Mercedes chassis number stamp.
Open the bonnet, look at the white crossmember that runs under the winscreen.
It is stamped in the centre, you can only see it if you shine a torch sideways.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hmm :whistle::whistle: personally I was on my way to have RH MOT'd (perfectly legal) it just happened that my house was conveniently situated half way between the Newcastle ferry and the MOT place in Edinburgh:whistle::whistle::whistle:
To be legal I take it you removed the foreign plates and drove home without any plates.:)

Sep 29, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
2016 Hymer, Adria
Norman, just re reading your thread. I imported a hymer from Germany in May, with import plates. The dealer gave me the german vehicle registration document along with the CofC etc.

Although first registered in Germany, the VCA and DVLA process still made me the first registered keeper. Surely Campirama must have registered the vehicle in Belgium in order to arrange export plates for you? Have you asked them for the Belgian registration docs... the VCA then DVLA process seemed so simple in comparison to what you are having to do, and more timely?

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Norman, just re reading your thread. I imported a hymer from Germany in May, with import plates. The dealer gave me the german vehicle registration document along with the CofC etc.

Although first registered in Germany, the VCA and DVLA process still made me the first registered keeper. Surely Campirama must have registered the vehicle in Belgium in order to arrange export plates for you? Have you asked them for the Belgian registration docs... the VCA then DVLA process seemed so simple in comparison to what you are having to do, and more timely?
Yes I think that helped with mine too, I had the German registration documents in my name (DVLA keeps this so photcopy it if you want a record).

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
To be legal I take it you removed the foreign plates and drove home without any plates.:)
Did I remove MY German export registration plates compete with ADAC third party insurance covering me to drive ANYWHERE in the EU ? Nope...(y)

EU = An economic and political association of certain European countries (including the UK for a while longer and hopefully Scotland for a lot longer:)) as a unit with internal free trade and common external tariffs.

I'd have just loved to have been done for it and listen to them explain how it was possible for a legally owned, taxed, registered and insured EU vehicle driven by an EU resident with the required EU licence, following the rules of the road with all the required EU and UK modifications in place on its way to its UK MOT which wasn't actually due in German (EU) terms for another three months could possibly be illegal.... Think I could have run that one all the way to the CofHR...:):)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Did I remove MY German export registration plates compete with ADAC third party insurance covering me to drive ANYWHERE in the EU ? Nope...(y)
My comment was referring to Belgium false plates mentioned earlier in the thread not German export plates. The law states a UK resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK how this is interpreted with German export plates I don't know.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
My comment was referring to Belgium false plates mentioned earlier in the thread not German export plates. The law states a UK resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK how this is interpreted with German export plates I don't know.
(y)
Me either, I wasnt being sarcastic, just possibly poor humour??
But being serious for a mo, having studied all the applicable rules and regs guff plus the bit about sticking it on a low loader at Newcastle, I decided sod that, I'll cover the bases as well as I can and que sera sera.. I suspect that whole ridiculous rule is a typical piece of British bureaucracy (More than my jobsworth mate) that's never been challenged in court. Its patently ridiculous and I think contravenes the European concordance on the Road Traffic Acts, so as my vehicle was legal in any state of the European Union, then it MUST be legal to drive in the UK therefore the rule about not driving a foreign registered vehicle in the UK is a personal attack on my freedom to drive a legal vehicle and nothing to do with Type Approval.

I could be wrong but I have never read anyone on the Motorhome websites mention having been pulled over for driving a foreign registered moho in the UK. Additionally it is NOT illegal for me, a UK national to drive a German registered moho anywhere else in Europe, so its purely a British rule. Unfortunately in a short period of time it will no longer be possible for the European courts to deal with this sort of parochial nonsense as far as Brits are concerned.

End of being serious....:):)

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Latest news of this painful saga. It took a month for them to check our IVA application form and another 4 weeks for an earliest available test appointment in Bristol. So on tenderhooks until 31 August.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Latest news of this painful saga. It took a month for them to check our IVA application form and another 4 weeks for an earliest available test appointment in Bristol. So on tenderhooks until 31 August.
I still don't understand why you have gone down the IVA route if it is a new vehicle with a Certificate of Conformity it is not necessary, you just have to get the van inspected by a VAT registered garage or MOT station and fill in the VCA form and send them a 100 quid .

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I still don't understand why you have gone down the IVA route

I think that Norman has discovered that the VCA will only deal with vehicles which have already been registered in the EU. If you admit it hasn't been then they send you down the IVA route apparently.

However if you ignore this you can go through the VCA process as they never ask to see the registration document - as many of us did. I also know of at least one other person who has imported from Campirama since Norman and is following the VCA approach.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
GUIDANCE NOTES: The following notes are intended to help the reader identify if their vehicle is
subject to the provisions of the Commission Notice / Mutual Recognition scheme and should be
read, in full, prior to making an application to VCA.
Commission Notice / Mutual Recognition: This procedure is intended for motorhomes built to a
European specification that are being imported into the United Kingdom from other European countries. In
order to process an application under this scheme we require specific documentation, and payment, as
outlined in this application form.
Age of vehicle:
MOTORHOMES: If your motorhome is built prior to 29 April 2012, and does not have a European
Certificate of Conformity confirming that it is a motorhome then you would need to contact DVLA to discuss
registration.
If your motorhome is built on, or after 29 April 2012, then Type-Approval is required and, if you have the
documentation required by the Mutual Recognition scheme then you would need to make an application to
VCA.
Vehicle previously registered in the United Kingdom?
If this applies to your vehicle please contact the DVLA to discuss the requirements for re-registration.
First registered outside of Europe?
In this case, unless there is a European Certificate of Conformity for the vehicle, you would need to contact
VOSA to discuss the Individual Vehicle Approval scheme and not apply to VCA.
Obtaining documents:
If you do not have an original, 52 point European Certificate of Conformity for the motorhome you need to
contact the motorhome manufacturer to see if one is available for your vehicle.
We require:
- Original European Certificate of Conformity (with 52 numbered items confirming that the
vehicle is a motorhome)
- Garage evidence that the vehicle meets the United Kingdom national requirements (UK
specification headlights, dual marked speedometer, suitable rear fog-light(s))
- This completed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think that Norman has discovered that the VCA will only deal with vehicles which have already been registered in the EU. If you admit it hasn't been then they send you down the IVA route apparently.

However if you ignore this you can go through the VCA process as they never ask to see the registration document - as many of us did. I also know of at least one other person who has imported from Campirama since Norman and is following the VCA approach.
Mine wasn't registered and didn't have any problem, I think he has been given bum advice and taking a much more complicated and expensive route.
There is no mention anywhere on the VCA info and application form about being registered in another country.

If it was me I would cancel the IVA inspection and do it the normal way as Norman is already outside the legal timeframe for registering an imported vehicle. If Norman gets a local garage or MOT station to do the inspection and give him a letter stating the vehicle conforms and gets the VCA application in he will get a VCA certificate to allow him to register the van within a week.

I have uploaded the VCA info and form which includes the info from @sallylillian above, all in the PDF.

Attachments

• apply-commission-notice-motorhomes.pdf
    135 KB · Views: 6

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@lennyhb - Agreed, the VCA mutual recognition process worked for me too (and lots of other people I've spoken to). As I said, I now think it's because they don't ask for any proof of registration and I never really considered it.

However , unless I'm missing something the correct procedure is a bit vague - but there IS information to suggest that previous registation is required..ie

The VCA website says you should have a registration document ..

"I am planning to import a passenger car, motorcycle or motorhome that is under 10 years of age into the United Kingdom from a country within the European Union. I also have a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and registration document for the vehicle"

Also the gov.uk site outlining the registration process differentiates between registered and unregistered vehicles..

"If the vehicle’s not registered in the EU
To get approval for a vehicle that’s not registered in the EU, apply for either:

If the vehicle’s registered in the EU
Get a European Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer to show you have approval for an EU-registered vehicle.

You also have to get a certificate of Mutual Recognition if it’s a left hand drive vehicle."

Personally I would follow the route you said and if asked then it was registered temporarily in Belgium,:)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
And I thought that registering a foreign registered vehicle here in France was a b***** nightmare. It isn't of course you just have to have the correct pieces of paper, signed by the correct people, in the correct order. There have been horror stories here of people trying to re-register UK MHs and having to produce a CoC for every piece of kitchen equipment as well as the original chassis and MH build (not sure if that is true or apocryphal).

The comments above about the "UK resident not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle in UK" for me typifies the attitude of MPs and servile servants to the EU, introduce a UK only rule then blame it on the EU.

My sympathies to all, just remember "nil carborundum etc"

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since they have updated the DVLA site it is very misleading, I believe the VCA information is correct and providing you vehicle has a EU C of C it is acceptable under the Mutual Recognition scheme. The DVLA site implies that if it is not registered in the EU it needs an IVA inspection. I am absolutely certain that this only applies to vehicles without a EU C of C, i.e. older vehicles or ones from outside the EU.

I sill say @Norman Jones best & route is the normal Mutual Recognition via the VCA.

Waiting until the 31st for a IVA check is prolonging it unnecessarily he is already well outside the 30 days that you have to register an imported vehicle and must be struggling with insurance cover.

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
I've said it before. VCA will NOT take an application on a brand new unregistered vehicle,
I have spoken to them twice. I have no choice.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've said it before. VCA will NOT take an application on a brand new unregistered vehicle,
I have spoken to them twice. I have no choice.
Crazy, everyone else has done it that way it that way. The VCA documentation makes no mention of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back