Its raining & my roof is leaking? (1 Viewer)

asinboat43

Free Member
Aug 2, 2008
anywhere & everywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
9 years
Hi everyone,

Looking for advice with how to stop it raining?? or fix my RV roof, or both, which has now given us an extra 2 showers up front right over the driving cab....anybody got the ultimate in sealants or mastics...what to use?

Our RV is 14 years old a Safari Serengeti and we love her to bits, don't want to see her turn into a submarine :cry::whatthe:

cheers asinboat
:thumb:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Have you got a fibreglass or EPDM rubber roof ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Neither by the sound of it:whatthe:
But it does make a huge difference:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I have just used Everflex Weathermate Sealant made by Everbuild around my windows on our fifth wheel, this can be applied even when the surface is wet. Wasn't sure if you could use it on rubber roofs, so I just rang their technical department and they said they wouldn't recommend it on a rubber roof, but to use their other product called Puraflex 40 which I have used in the past and it bonds as well as seals.

However, on looking at the spec. on line, we read that it can't be used on wet surfaces.

Food for thought.

Nigel

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi everyone,

Looking for advice with how to stop it raining?? or fix my RV roof, or both, which has now given us an extra 2 showers up front right over the driving cab....anybody got the ultimate in sealants or mastics...what to use?

Our RV is 14 years old a Safari Serengeti and we love her to bits, don't want to see her turn into a submarine :cry::whatthe:

cheers asinboat
:thumb:

Hi
If you give Stateside or Star Spangled Spanner a call you will get some really well informed advice.
Jim
:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Sounds like the joint between the fiberglass front cap and the rubber roof, a common place to leak..

if so you need:

EPDM Rubber Roof Sealant
Dicor special lap sealant for use on rubber roofs, specially formulated for sealing vents screw heads air con boxes etc, 10.3 oz tube £8.50

call linda for advice and fast service

Link Removed

In the meantime, try to raise the front end of the RV so that the rain runs backwards on the roof and not into the joint,

jim

OP
OP
asinboat43

asinboat43

Free Member
Aug 2, 2008
anywhere & everywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
9 years
Hi

Sounds like the joint between the fiberglass front cap and the rubber roof, a common place to leak..

if so you need:

EPDM Rubber Roof Sealant
Dicor special lap sealant for use on rubber roofs, specially formulated for sealing vents screw heads air con boxes etc, 10.3 oz tube £8.50

Link Removed

In the meantime, try to raise the front end of the RV so that the rain runs backwards on the roof and not into the joint,

jim

thanks for that, will do the easy bit and re-jack the front, and when it stops raining will be back on that roof,

many thanks

from a novice RV-er

cheers asinboat :Doh:

OP
OP
asinboat43

asinboat43

Free Member
Aug 2, 2008
anywhere & everywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
9 years
Hi

if so you need:

EPDM Rubber Roof Sealant

Link Removed

jim

thanks Jim,

will try tomorrow

cheers asinboat:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks for that, will do the easy bit and re-jack the front, and when it stops raining will be back on that roof,

many thanks

from a novice RV-er

cheers asinboat :Doh:

hi

we were all novices at one point.. I had leak in the same place so I was fairly sure.. mine used to leak when the RV was low at the front.. wait until it's dry and warm to do a re seal.. no point in trying to do while it's wet..

if push comes to shove, scrape out any old dried out sealer then use a warm air gun or hair drier to dry out the joint before re sealing, you can always re do next summer .. and that would be a good time to check all the seals and re paint the roof with Plas T Cote ..also from Linda :thumb:

jim

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Isoflex is a liquid rubber sealant/paint available from B&Q at a really good price for 5 litres if it is an emergency.

It Is BLACK but can always be overpainted afterwards with a white epdm "paint"

Brill if you need a quick and lasting repair while waiting for snail mail or a courier.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back