LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
On one of the FB caravan/Motorhome pages was a warning about the weight watchers being open on the A55 and they were targeting caravans and moho's. So there was a warning about being over weight and someone commented why would I be overweight? Another how can I be overweight? Another just bought this moho and nobody mentioned maximum weight. Another how do I know what my max weight is? Another how do I tell if I'm overloaded?
Oh dear, I wonder how many out there are innocently driving about unaware? (n):whistle:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thousands Paul , and across Europe with so many mohomes built on 3500kg chassis with little payload and those that do not visit forums like this are ignorant of the law on vehicle weight.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Don't forget that some of these owners also fit their own brake pads and similar items themselves after a 3 minute lesson on YouTube :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I'm normal for my size at 13 1/2 stone ;):p
Brian & Jo

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Was at an Mcc rally once and guy had same van as mine.. 3850kg, had a big scooter, rack, towbar etc all hanging off the back.
I know for a fact you could not load the back end up so much, when i "tried" to chat to him about it he was quiet blatant that he ran overloaded and his van was about 4 1/2 tonnes.. :doh:

I agree there will be thousand out there over their gross / MAM weight.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In my tugging days I used to reckon at least 90% of caravans are seriously overloaded. Unbelievable what the French, Dutch & Germans carry, they arrive on site up goes the very heavy awning and out comes the full size domestic fridge, full set of patio urniture, patio set is a Dutch specialty. As for the market traders seen fridge, washing machine & dryer come out of their 2800kg van it's still got all their market stuff inside.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has was said on a thread on here the other day, only about 2% of motorhomers are on here, I know quite a few that are not and they are just not interested in the slightest about weight, grey water, gassing , wild camping, parking in lay-bys, and chucking their cassette contents down the nearest drain , they just do their thing and don't bother about the consequences for others.
Some times I must admit , some on here do get uptight about things that others just ignore.

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We swapped ours from a 3850kgs to a 5250kgs because we full time and I was worried about being overloaded with all our goods and chattels, must be the ex trucker in me. :rolleyes::LOL:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
On one of the FB caravan/Motorhome pages was a warning about the weight watchers being open on the A55 and they were targeting caravans and moho's. So there was a warning about being over weight and someone commented why would I be overweight? Another how can I be overweight? Another just bought this moho and nobody mentioned maximum weight. Another how do I know what my max weight is? Another how do I tell if I'm overloaded?
Oh dear, I wonder how many out there are innocently driving about unaware? (n):whistle:

I was 71 when I bought my 1st MoHo (after 35 years as a tugger) but when I turned 70 I did not take a medical to keep my C1 status as there was no need to.

7 months later when inquiring about a PX for a new van the dealer I was then speaking to (not the one I bought my 1st van from) asked me my age and whether or not I had got a C1 licence - I told him and he asked me if did the dealer I had bought the van from had asked the same questions - to which I replied no (cos at the time, stupidly, I was unaware of the exact licence weight restrictions)

The "new" dealer (Highbridge Caravans of Somerset) was appalled that the initial dealer(E S Hartley near Kendal) had not explained it all to me!!

They (Highbridge) said that it was a requirement of dealers to check the licence category of any MoHo they sell mover 3500kg!!

There were also lots of hidden faults on the 1st MoHo so guess which dealer I will not be recommending!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
down here on the a30 in the summer there is very often a weight check team out . they stop many down near indian queens . use the mobile weighing scales then just a short distance away is a china clay loading bay to provide the paper work for the weight if over loaded .
the what was vosa chaps used tpo say about half of the m,homes they weighed were over weight . saturdays are a good time for them to be out catching folk . they know so many are over weight .
plus its a few hours overtime and they arent getting dirty.

Reactions: DBK

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
mine is fine at 4200kg put what I want in with the bike in the garage. no problem at all until next November when it will have to drop right down to 3500kgs and resort to the trailer on the back. Stupid really one day OK and the next day Banned.
I was talking to a German at our CL and he said that there is two rules for Medicals in Germany, one for Commercial use and another more basic eye check for Private use self certified.
He was driving a Liner and that was huge, on a Mann Lorry Chassis, with a microlight plane in the garage and a Smart on a trailer, which goes in the garage when the plane is not wanted.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Overloaded.png

Bit like this one then ..

The bike on the back had come loose and he spent ages trying to get it to stay tied on. It's nice to see someone is doing something about it. Some of these MH's are so overloaded they are just dangerous. The manufacturers are selling vans with hardly any payload and the guy driving it doesn't have a clue about weight.

What people don't realise is the further you get the weight from the back wheels the more it weighs

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I have recently bought one similar to the one above (here it is below) and it was rated at 3500kg with an actual unladen weight of 3150kg - I had it upgraded to 4000kg (a paper exercise by SVtech (y)) so now have "oodles" of weight margin!! :)

hymer-motorhomes-506-58f5e83d3a64e.jpg

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I have recently bought one similar to the one above (here it is below) and it was rated at 3500kg with an actual unladen weight of 3150kg - I had it upgraded to 4000kg (a paper exercise by SVtech (y)) so now have "oodles" of weight margin!! :)

No you don't you are still restricted to the weight which the back axle will carry. If it's a maxi chassis then 2400Kg the lighter chassis is 2000kg
We are 300kg under the vehicle weight of 4250kg but only have 70kg to spare on the back axle. It's not just how much weight you can carry it's where you put it. Most of your weight will be lost on the front axle as it's impossible to load it to it's maximum.

I would check what your axle loadings actually are fully loaded you may get a very nasty shock. Don't forget a full tank of diesel and water + wife etc .. All adds up.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
No you don't you are still restricted to the weight which the back axle will carry. If it's a maxi chassis then 2400Kg the lighter chassis is 2000kg
We are 300kg under the vehicle weight of 4250kg but only have 70kg to spare on the back axle. It's not just how much weight you can carry it's where you put it. Most of your weight will be lost on the front axle as it's impossible to load it to it's maximum.

I would check what your axle loadings actually are fully loaded you may get a very nasty shock. Don't forget a full tank of diesel and water + wife etc .. All adds up.

Went into all of that with "experts" & all is well :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back