Its been a beautiful friendship but... (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If I get on with it the R1200GS has gotta go to make room in the stable !

Then get rid of the GS... :nod: :nod: :nod:

And buy a real bike... (y)

th

:wink: :giggler:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Fatal,,

I am to scared to go into a bike shop now as I get so tempted, got rid of 4 so have some room!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Got a test ride on a 1200 Triumph Tiger full spec tomorrow.. If I get on with it the R1200GS has gotta go to make room in the stable !

Aren't they as big as the barge you just got rid of ?

They are and they don't handle as well by all accounts (carry their weight much higher).

I love the overall look of the Africa Twin - is that not an option @Jaws ?

Ian

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They are and they don't handle as well by all accounts (carry their weight much higher).

Ian
Good grief no..Absolutely gutless.. The 1200 Tiger has the 137 bh so about 110 at the back wheel.
The Africa is 10bh down on that and due to the Honda drive train it will be about 95bh at the wheel
Also, the 'Twin is chain while the tiger is a shafty
The 'Twin weighs in at 235 kg and the XrX Low comes in at 242 kg, so it it is slightly heavier but a good 3" lower seat height !!

Not sure where the idea they handle poorly came from
What got me interested in the first place was a few laps at Snetterton last ( 2016 ) summer
They do not behave the way the GS does ( but what does ! ) and it took a couple of laps to get in the groove, but once I got the feel of it, no problem at all :)
Anyway, nothing set in stone until the test ride tomorrow.. I shall report back

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Ian

Good grief no..Absolutely gutless.. The 1200 Tiger has the 137 bh so about 110 at the back wheel.
The Africa is 10bh down on that and due to the Honda drive train it will be about 95bh at the wheel
Also, the 'Twin is chain while the tiger is a shafty
The 'Twin weighs in at 235 kg and the XrX Low comes in at 242 kg, so it it is slightly heavier but a good 3" lower seat height !!

Yes, those two issues are their Achilles heel and is what puts me off them - still think they are a great looking bike though.

Rumour has it that they have a new (additional) model/version coming out next year. Won't deal with the Drive train issue but hopefully will the power issue.

Ian

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
110 at the back wheel.
The Africa is 10bh down on that

Do you mind if I smile at that.

You don't know gutless 'till you ride 47 bhp. But don't forget those 47 horses stayed with you for hundreds of miles across Europe. Being light, well mannered and harmless means all the more enjoyment of sane riding.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Making a bike that 'handles' is not an exact science, it just feels good and you seldom need more than 100hp. Are you just changing for a change, not for the better?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes, those two issues are their Achilles heel and is what puts me off them - still think they are a great looking bike though.

Rumour has it that they have a new (additional) model/version coming out next year. Won't deal with the Drive train issue but hopefully will the power issue.

Ian
Of course there is the point that the 'twin has the advantage of the Honda pedigree, but for me, they ( Honda ) seem to have lost their way somewhat.
It started back around 2009 / 2010 with the micky mouse VF1200 ( neither one thing or the other and generally despised the world over )..Since then,apart from tweeks and gimmicks they have progressed very little
But yes, the build quality is still there, and still leaves most other makes looking like brit bikes from the 50s LOL!!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I did the deal for the trumpet today and it will be coming home tomorrow !

Handled like a dream and the seat height is so low I can stand flat footed with it..Feels weird after years of tip toeing :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I did not get it..
Went over to collect it and yep, it was ready for collection..... no probs

Before I could actually take possesion the sales guiy offeredme a brand new one for only £400 more

So I know have a new 1200 Tiger XrX fully luggaged up in Triumph Crystal white
'Course,. the bad side is ANOTHER bike to be run in!

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Hi John,
Enjoy your XRX! I too moved away from a succession of GS's. Now got a 2013 Honda Crosstourer DCT for my long distance ride. Absolutely love it! The DCT took some getting used to but it can change gear faster & smother than I can manually. That 1200 V four; tuned for grunt, is an absolute peach. I changed the rear shock to a Hagon and it handles really well now. They're not popular and the journos slag them off, but I love it (y)

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Hi John,
Enjoy your XRX! I too moved away from a succession of GS's. Now got a 2013 Honda Crosstourer DCT for my long distance ride. Absolutely love it! The DCT took some getting used to but it can change gear faster & smother than I can manually. That 1200 V four; tuned for grunt, is an absolute peach. I changed the rear shock to a Hagon and it handles really well now. They're not popular and the journos slag them off, but I love it (y)

I looked at these as always had Honda- for me having no cruise control put me of. Probably going for an Explorer

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I purchased my R1200 gs in 2005, put some serious miles on it in the early years, when I considered upgrading the Bmw sales guy was not impressed that I had actually been using it! We would have to put yours out to the trade, too many miles for us to retail he quipped, I tried explaining that you market it as a round the world bike, to no avail, so I decided there and then to keep it. This so capable bike has taken me all over Europe and a good bit of North Africa, it has been on ferries large and small, auto trains to the south of France and has even been packed up in a crate and flown home from The Gambia.
These days I do most of my traveling in the moho, but I still do a trip or two with a group of pals on the gs, this year some in the group had bought new bikes, there was a good selection of Triumphs, Suzuki's, Yams, a Ducati a Ktm and my comfy and super reliable old girl. I was a bit concerned that these new bikes with up to 150 bhp would leave me behind, not a bit of it, the Gs although a bit down on power corners like its on rails and because of its height you can see over the hedges and ride accordingly, I hope you like your new Triumph, me I'll be keeping my GS.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi John,
Hi Valkman,
I am afraid it aint only the Jorno's mate :0(
I was taken to Germany to try the VF12 before the Jornos in the UK even got to see it in the flash..
Long story but I could not get on with that bloody engine at all.. And of course it is the same one fitted in the crosstourer.
Bottom line though,if YOU like it that is all that matters :)

I guess you do not do your own servicing as the valve clearances are a fiddly bloody nightmare to do
They ( Honda ) missed a chance with the 12.. They should have gone with hydraulic lifters
Have they sorted out all the recall work yet ?
Of course, being Honda they do not call it a recall !! LOL!!

The Hagon shocks are good for about 20k miles but then get it rebuilt at a reputable place ( not Hagon ) and it should be good for yonks after that

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I purchased my R1200 gs in 2005, put some serious miles on it in the early years, when I considered upgrading the Bmw sales guy was not impressed that I had actually been using it! We would have to put yours out to the trade, too many miles for us to retail he quipped, I tried explaining that you market it as a round the world bike, to no avail, so I decided there and then to keep it. This so capable bike has taken me all over Europe and a good bit of North Africa, it has been on ferries large and small, auto trains to the south of France and has even been packed up in a crate and flown home from The Gambia.
These days I do most of my traveling in the moho, but I still do a trip or two with a group of pals on the gs, this year some in the group had bought new bikes, there was a good selection of Triumphs, Suzuki's, Yams, a Ducati a Ktm and my comfy and super reliable old girl. I was a bit concerned that these new bikes with up to 150 bhp would leave me behind, not a bit of it, the Gs although a bit down on power corners like its on rails and because of its height you can see over the hedges and ride accordingly, I hope you like your new Triumph, me I'll be keeping my GS.

I LOVE the GS's.. All of them..... ( 'cept the 800.. Seat feels like its cuttinng me in half, chain drive, ordinary forks etc etc,,,, not REALLY a GS at all :) )

too many miles for us to retail he quipped
Would not have been Cannons in Braintree perchance would it ? The least professional dealership I have ever had the misfortune to deal with

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Hi Valkman,
I am afraid it aint only the Jorno's mate :0(
I was taken to Germany to try the VF12 before the Jornos in the UK even got to see it in the flash..
Long story but I could not get on with that bloody engine at all.. And of course it is the same one fitted in the crosstourer.
Bottom line though,if YOU like it that is all that matters :)

I guess you do not do your own servicing as the valve clearances are a fiddly bloody nightmare to do
They ( Honda ) missed a chance with the 12.. They should have gone with hydraulic lifters
Have they sorted out all the recall work yet ?
Of course, being Honda they do not call it a recall !! LOL!!

The Hagon shocks are good for about 20k miles but then get it rebuilt at a reputable place ( not Hagon ) and it should be good for yonks after that
It is the same engine but the Crosstourer was retuned for low down torque at the expense of top end. Suits me that way. I got a three year service contract because I just didn't fancy servicing it. (At my age I've already established my limitations - usually at great expense!)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I LOVE the GS's.. All of them..... ( 'cept the 800.. Seat feels like its cuttinng me in half, chain drive, ordinary forks etc etc,,,, not REALLY a GS at all :) )

Would not have been Cannons in Braintree perchance would it ? The least professional dealership I have ever had the misfortune to deal with
@Jaws Why do you say that about Cannons John? I've bought 3 bikes from them and don't have any complaint about their customer service.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
@Jaws Why do you say that about Cannons John? I've bought 3 bikes from them and don't have any complaint about their customer service.
Perhaps I caught them on bad days ( 4 to be precise ).. When we meet up I will give you full details :)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years

Bizarrely the bike was supplied by Cannons, but they were not the dealer that declined my business.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bizarrely the bike was supplied by Cannons, but they were not the dealer that declined my business.
Perhaps their policy when dealing with the trade ( and, interestingly BMW them selves ) is different to the way they deal with the public :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back