Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I know autoglass is advertised as free to do stonechips and not to use your excess when using them but is it really free?
Will your insurance premiums rise next time, does anyone have experience of their insurance premiums rising because they have used them?
We have aquired a stonechip, vaguely remembering a lorry passing us and a sound, didn't recognize it as a stone hitting the window.
Few weeks later I thought that's strange I thought it was a dead fly ,that's been there a while even though it's been raining,
wipers on, should have wiped off, tried rubbing it with cleaner but realised then what it was so just a small bullseye at the mo.
.It's a coachbuilt not an Aclass, I know they are expensive.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just had Autoglass out to repair what I thought would be a 'chip repair'. It turns out that a new windscreen is needed.

It passed the MOT but the examiner informed about the chip (which I thought was insignificant) he said it was borderline and advised to get chip repaired asap.

We now have the aggravation of having to take it in to be replaced rather than repaired at home and also will now have to pay £100 glass excess.:Sad:

Rob

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Check the details of your insurance. Often they have a number to call for windscreen repair and it goes straight to Autoglass. I have had two chips repaired in car windscreens over the last couple of years with no effect on NCB.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
Had a repair done to a car windscreen. No difference to renewal premium. So, happy with that.
Last van had a small crack to it's screen...unable to repair cracks, so new screen needed. £60 excess on that. Still no effect on premium so no real complaint there.
MM

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We suffered a windscreen brake whilst in France with the MH.

Ended up replaced no additional cost to insurance:thumb:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I was pretty sure it wouldn't reflect on renewal premium - just the aggro of having to take it in .

Rob

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ours had a small chip when we bought it. Contacted Autoglas who checked and came back to say our insurance co. didn't use them. I contacted ins.co. who arranged an alternative national screen service to repair it. No cost. No change to premium. Speak to your insurer for guidance, I would say.

Wyn

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It is believed that they do charge to the insurers a premium rate fee. Their argument is that it is still cheaper than a new windscreen.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Last van, thanks to 3 gritter lorries in line across the M6: new windscreen needed, also plastic side windows which got peppered.
both replaced under insurance via Autoglass £50 excess and no increase in renewals.
some are not aware that all windows maybe covered under windscreen cover.

Last edited:

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
We had our chip repaired on our old car before a trip to France, free to us but the cost on the sheet to the insurance company was 125 quid. There were no additional charges to my premium the next year in fact it went down....:ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Chip repair isn't free at all - they charge your insurers for the work. They advertise it as 'free depending on your insurer' as many insurers do not make any charges for what is seen as preventative repair (you are stopping or reducing risk of further damage/cracking and thus saving them money!)

If you either have no windscreen cover, or are on a company or trade policy, they will usually refuse to carry out the repair for fear of the insurer not honouring the repair bill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back