Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hi folks,

I have been lurking for a few weeks now and felt it was time to introduce myself.

I do not own (never have) a motorhome but will be looking to purchase nearer the end of the year once I have completed a "try before I buy" in September. Probably sometime after (or maybe during) the NECC show depending on the "deals" been offered. I will probably buy new, ( I know, I know, loss 20% as soon as I leave the showroom) but wife wants a new one so as quoted here and on many other sites, SWMBO, MBO ::bigsmile:. Anyway, currently fancy an entry level Elddis Autoquest 195. I have viewed various layouts online and at local dealers and have come to the conclusion that I do not want a fixed bed. I like the idea of having a separate dining area with a nice lounge at the back. The u-shaped lounge converts into a large double but we also would have the option of two single beds (easier for toilet visits). I am just over 6' tall and the length of the single is just about right although at 2'3" wide, I hope I don't fall out. :Doh:. The shower area is a bit tight but nothing that we cannot cope with and there appears to be plenty of storage for our needs. Although there will only ever be two adults sleeping in the motorhome we do have an eleven month old Golden Lab that will accompany us on all trips hence the motorhome holidays and not jetting away as usual (her idea to get the dog, not mine :RollEyes:.........but I love him really). The 195 is 7.2m long and 2.2m wide and will fit in the drive with a bit of manoeuvring but could end up being a bit of an eyesore. Our lounge is at the back so we won't be staring out at it but it will be about 8 feet away from our bedroom window. Most of the motorhome be hidden from the road by a tall hedge but I will take advice as to whether it is a good idea or not. We are really keen on this idea but it's a lot of money to spend so we are taking our time and will consider everything that we see and the opinions of the experienced.

I know it is difficult to advise on the best layout but from a build quality and reliability perspective, what are your thoughts on Elddis? Further, any other tips and advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

ABZSteve

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
If you think it might be an eyesore-so might a neighbour. do check that there are no covenants governing what sort of vehicles can be parked on your drive.

Mike.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
welcome aboard ! i have a rear u shaped lounge in my van and i must say i find it the perfect layout for 2 adults and a labrador, (a black one in our case !) we have a pull down bed but we just tend to keep the duvet, pillows etc up there, most of the time we just pull out the base and slide the cushions together and sleep in the lounge area . this still leaves full access to the kitchen and bathroom and habitation door . good luck with whatever you choose and if in doubt ASK !!! regards garry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Hullo

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Fun.... I've got a U-shaped lounge layout and have been well pleased with the flexibility it offers.

I'm not very familiar with the Eldiss brand but haven't been aware of a general reputation for faults like I've heard about some brands. They seem to be liked by those that own them.

Good luck with whatever MH you get, and I hope to see you at a meet sometime soon.

Simon

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
:welcomefunster:

We have a rear U shape layout which we use as two singles, works well for us :Smile:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A different viewpoint :Smile:

We aren't keen on a rear lounge because (in our opinion of course) it divides the MH into two halves with a corridor between the kitchen / wardrobe / bathroom dividing them. The cab end has the benefit of a lot of glass and (if they rotate) two very comfortable armchairs to add to a front lounge.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, I'm a bit confused, you are after a NEW motorhome yet think it might be an "eyesore", your new pride and joy an eyesore, I don't think you are ready for the lifestyle yet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:you need to go back to motorhome appreciation school, hee hee

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
We have a rear lounge, it works well for us, we allso park it on our drive, never been an eyesore to me

edit: sorry welcome

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Hello and Welcome from Leicestershire. adventures ahead then. enjoy.

I personally prefer the lounge behind the cab seats, otherwise the MH seems cramped and cut in half, also cab seats can be part of the lounge so making the best of the available space, but most of all, on sites you reverse in, so your lounge windows more than not will look out on to a hedge, where as the front and side windows there may be a lovely view. at the end of the day everyone has what suits them.

Good luck.

Margaret

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Hi
Our van is 10cm longer at 7.3m with fixed twin singles. Have never regretted the layout with a half dinette at front, covers all options. Look at as many layouts as you can before comitting.
Darren.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi and welcome.
Single beds are definitely the way forward.
Not only are they more convenient for bathroom visits, but you actually get to keep possession of your own duvet.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. I guess I could have picked a better word than “eyesore”. What I should have said was an unconventional driveway structure that may affect the aesthetics of my house. I do see many motorhomes parked in driveways and most are up the side of the house. Unfortunately, I do not have enough room to get any vehicles up the sides but the MH will fit in the drive and still allow space for my car. The nearest safe paid parking area is about 10 miles from where I live and I would like to avoid the hassle of traveling there each time I want to take the MH out. I may have the option to park it a 2 minute walk from the house in a quiet back street where there is already one MH parked, a Bailey 740. There is loads of room and it doesn’t interfere with anyone’s view or indeed where they park as the spaces are nearly always empty. Basically, the spaces are pretty much tucked away from the view of the houses although still within sight of my in-laws house (they can keep an eye on it). Regarding layouts, although open to suggestions at this time I am pretty much set on the front dinette and the u-shape lounge, but that could change as time goes on. I think also, that viewing many layouts at the NECC show will help with the decision making.

ATB

Steve

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Hello and Welcome from Leicestershire. adventures ahead then. enjoy.

I personally prefer the lounge behind the cab seats, otherwise the MH seems cramped and cut in half, also cab seats can be part of the lounge so making the best of the available space, but most of all, on sites you reverse in, so your lounge windows more than not will look out on to a hedge, where as the front and side windows there may be a lovely view. at the end of the day everyone has what suits them.

Good luck.

Margaret

Hi Margaret, thanks for your post. Is there not an option to park the MH head first?

Thanks

Steve

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
From what others have said no, the site wardens have more rules and regulations now than ever they did, jobs worth comes to mind, has taken the fun out of it in my opinion, perhaps on the continent it is better, I don`t go on the continent now so I wouldn`t know. Also if you drive in , your door could be on the wrong side ( depending which model you go for, ) for the pitch and you wouldn`t be able to sit outside your door or put awning up if you have one, just a thought, best to sort out what and how you want to use your van before you take the plunge.

I have had decades of caravan, s so I knew the layout that would work for me.

I do think that if you have paid for a pitch,( within reason to be fire safe from another unit on next pitch,) you want to position it for the best view and where the sun is , if and when we get any, , not get your offside rear up to a marker.

Regards
Margaret

An after thought, if parking in the street especially not in front of your house, the insurance company may not take too kindly on that.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hi and welcome, Hymer 534 rear lounge no probs for family and dog. You can park face in or out if you do not join any clubs and just ask Funsters whereto park up.
Good luck.:thumb:

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
From what others have said no, the site wardens have more rules and regulations now than ever they did, jobs worth comes to mind, has taken the fun out of it in my opinion, perhaps on the continent it is better, I don`t go on the continent now so I wouldn`t know. Also if you drive in , your door could be on the wrong side ( depending which model you go for, ) for the pitch and you wouldn`t be able to sit outside your door or put awning up if you have one, just a thought, best to sort out what and how you want to use your van before you take the plunge.

I have had decades of caravan, s so I knew the layout that would work for me.

I do think that if you have paid for a pitch,( within reason to be fire safe from another unit on next pitch,) you want to position it for the best view and where the sun is , if and when we get any, , not get your offside rear up to a marker.

Regards
Margaret

An after thought, if parking in the street especially not in front of your house, the insurance company may not take too kindly on that.

Thanks for the info Margaret. I will check with insurer prior to purchase.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back