It's all just gas to me (1 Viewer)

Gillswift

Free Member
Jul 27, 2018
Funster No
Hi, Everyone,
we have a Swift which had a Domectic B2200 roof air conditioning unit fitted when we purchased it almost 5 years ago. We don't use the motorhome as much as we might! And now it seems the aircon unit is failing, with the current temperatures we need to sort it asap as we will be taking several dogs on a trip soon.

The unit can run on mains or 12v while travelling but although it is running and pushing out a small amount, but the temperature is not reaching anywhere near it should. We have cleaned the charcoal filters, but it may well be the unit needs a Regas, we have not been able to locate the data-plate on the unit.
Can anyone tell us what is the type of gas this unit will need, please. We have sourced a local Air Conditioning garage that is prepared to do the job as long as he can supply the correct type of gas.

Help, Gill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
These are sealed / closed units and generally very reliable, and don't need re-gassing ..

but if it's lost the gas it will probably need a replacement..as repairing internals , if at all possible would be uneconomical

Has the garage actually looked at it.. ? It's not the same as a car A/C unit

I wait to be corrected..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed Jim, except fill valves can be fitted by breaking into the system and soldering proper schreader valves in,.... If you can find someone prepared to cut into an unknown system as far as existing gas is concerned.......it may just be low on gas which would mean the remainder would be released to atmosphere.

Chances are the unit is U/S.
They need regular use, even in winter, to keep the seals supple, once dried out they WILL leak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Gillswift

Free Member
Jul 27, 2018
Funster No
No Jim, the garage hasn't seen it yet & is basically concerned with car systems but said they would look at it tomorrow a.m. If we took it over.

By what you say I'm a bit concerned they could do more damage than good now?

OP
OP
G

Gillswift

Free Member
Jul 27, 2018
Funster No
Update on Domectic A/C, we took the M/h over to the garage man "Rob2" this morning. My hubby "Rob1" by this time using a pointer from another Funster thread had located & phtograped the data plate Rob2 had requested. On showing to Rob2, he said "as I suspected it is a domestic type you need to see someone else, I can't do as I only deal with vehicle A/cs".
Gave us an intro to someone he knows, and suggested from what we told him, we should try the Dometic on battery power on the way home to see if it performed any better, which it certainly did albeit on a slightly higher temp setting. Checked for water discharge around the roof unit & some now evident. When we arrived home, changed it over to mains to run for awhile on the slightly higher setting than the minimum Rob1 had
chosen yesterday for his a/c working trial in 35+ degrees = result - it didn't cut out once and was throwing out cold air gradually reducing the "room" temperature.
Phew - We might just have got away with it!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They need regular use, even in winter, to keep the seals supple, once dried out they WILL leak.

Incorrect, there are no seals that can leak, they use a hermetically sealed compressor, with no shaft seal.

Does the AC have heating mode? All I can think of is the 4 way changeover valve sometimes gets stuck. Switching modes back and forth sometimes frees it.

OP
OP
G

Gillswift

Free Member
Jul 27, 2018
Funster No
Incorrect, there are no seals that can leak, they use a hermetically sealed compressor, with no shaft seal.

Does the AC have heating mode? All I can think of is the 4 way changeover valve sometimes gets stuck. Switching modes back and forth sometimes frees it.

Okay that's a relief no leaking gas, thanks for that information R&A, yes. it does have a heating mode too.
We are also learning a lot more about how it operates, and have noted as it has a remote controller that talks to the a/c unit, the remote needs to be sited carefully. It seems the unit runs for awhile and then sends a signal to the remote to check the "room" (m/h internal) temperature, this may be when it cuts out for a few seconds and restarts the compressor/fan running again, it does this running on mains, but didn't do so going along running off the battery feed.
Today with less outside heat it is running a fair bit longer before sending a long tone (to the remote?) and cutting, before restarting, than it did on yesterday's test.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Light bulb moment!... :doh:Check the condenser fan is running correctly and the condenser is clean! The fact it worked better on the way home (with air being forced into the condenser) suggests the head temperature might be sky high when parked if the fan is off or faulty. Also working better on a cooler day fits with that fault too.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Also "cutting out and starting again" fits with condenser fan fault, as it will be tripping on high pressure and then auto resetting.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
@Gillswift I see you've probably read my last 2 posts and are saving your last free post to reply, so good luck with it and let us know.

More info:
The condenser fan is on the roof with the compressor.
Your AC system uses R407c refrigerant. (although I'm pretty sure it's not short).
Subscription is only £15 a year and you may, as we do, get £25 off your insurance as you're a member of a paid club :cool: (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back