Itinerary/campsites in Canada (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,
We are supposed (Covid willing) to be going on a Motorhome holiday to British Columbia/Alberta in September. This is a rescheduled holiday from 2020.
Has anyone been around those parts in a Motorhome that can offer any advice on campsites, locations, itineraries etc. please.

Thanks

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think theres a few funsters been this direction. I was reading this thread earlier so perhaps ceejayt .

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
We toured for 3 weeks the west coast, Vancouver island and whistler etc.
great trip. Highlights were orca sightings off Tofino and kayaking in desolation sound at the top of highway 1. Also white water rafting Whistler. No issues. You start off nervously driving the big rig and 3 weeks later hand brake turn into the dealership!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We toured for 3 weeks the west coast, Vancouver island and whistler etc.
great trip. Highlights were orca sightings off Tofino and kayaking in desolation sound at the top of highway 1. Also white water rafting Whistler. No issues. You start off nervously driving the big rig and 3 weeks later hand brake turn into the dealership!
Ha, handbrake turn! I'll look forward to that! Thanks for the info, the orca/whale watching are on our list and the kayaking sounds great, we'll look at that.
Because we want the 'full experience' and we're not sure about Covid in Canada in September we're in the process now of rescheduling the trip until same time 2022. Unfortunate but hopefully more things/everything may be open again.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Most towns in Canada have a Visitor Information Centre Very useful for local knowledge. Parks Canada run all the National Parks and Historical Sites. When we've been they only offer daily or annual passes. Daily passes would make it very expensive so an annual family pass although pricey work out as the best option. Get parks Canada information leaflet for the area, it has the camp sites in the parks. There are also Provincial Parks with camp sites. Other than that most commercial camp site are well marked.
The pitches are described with various combinations of the letters E, W and S, standing foe Electricity, Water and Sewage.
If you are going to Vancouver Island (The Island) consider booking the ferry, it will save a queue wait for the next available space.
I would also recommend Tofino for whale watching.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
You can become an FLT in Canada and try boondocking.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Most towns in Canada have a Visitor Information Centre Very useful for local knowledge. Parks Canada run all the National Parks and Historical Sites. When we've been they only offer daily or annual passes. Daily passes would make it very expensive so an annual family pass although pricey work out as the best option. Get parks Canada information leaflet for the area, it has the camp sites in the parks. There are also Provincial Parks with camp sites. Other than that most commercial camp site are well marked.
The pitches are described with various combinations of the letters E, W and S, standing foe Electricity, Water and Sewage.
If you are going to Vancouver Island (The Island) consider booking the ferry, it will save a queue wait for the next available space.
I would also recommend Tofino for whale watching.
Thanks SomeoneElse that's really informative. Tofino is on the list 👍

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
You can become an FLT in Canada and try boondocking.
Thanks and excuse ignorance but whats an FLT and whats Boondocking?

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I have driven from Calgary to Vancouver via Jasper in a car. The roads are excellent and I would be quite happy to drive a motorhome on the roads. The scenery was amazing. We didn’t have any trouble finding accommodation on route so I’m sure it would be the same with campsites.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Thanks and excuse ignorance but whats an FLT and whats Boondocking?
Some people on MHF call those that enjoy wild camping (staying in often remote and beautiful areas with no services or facilities) Free Loading Tossers. Canadians call this Boondocking. Whatever you call it, it’s what motorhomes were made for. From my experience of travelling around Canada (not in a motorhome) I think you will have no trouble finding some beautiful and safe places to wild camp. Just don’t leave your rubbish bags outside or the bears will come calling. Also, make sure your motorhome has fly screens. Some regions are plagued with black flies that give you a nasty itch.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
If you have the time and cash, have a look at the Inside Passage, an 18/20 hr day ferry from Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert we saw several whales, and a sea eagle taking a salmon.
From Prince Rupert we went to Hyder just across the American Alaska border to a great Bear / Salmon viewing area, check the dates when the Bears are feeding. We were in a car but there were RVs parked up at the viewing area. The road to Hyder is a dead end so no visa was required as the only access was via Canada.
We saw plenty of bears as we were driving around.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Our 1st motorhoming trip was in Canada's west coast. For 2 weeks late September 2002.
From the UK we arranged our camper-van rental & prebooked one 2 night campsite in the mountains.
We picked up the camper-van in Vancouver. A short taxi ride (or courtesy vehicle 🤔 ) from the airport.
Headed west via some lakes. Then went in to the mountains.
The season turned suddenly to winter so - with frozen waterpipes - our only pre-arranged campsite shut early for winter. They did give us a chalet to rest up in before being moved on.
We followed the Glacier highway, etc.

Despite only pre-booking one campsite we never had to wild camp.
RV campsites are so common we just went to the area we fancied and found an RV park.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I have driven from Calgary to Vancouver via Jasper in a car. The roads are excellent and I would be quite happy to drive a motorhome on the roads. The scenery was amazing. We didn’t have any trouble finding accommodation on route so I’m sure it would be the same with campsites.
Thanks Aly1👍

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Some people on MHF call those that enjoy wild camping (staying in often remote and beautiful areas with no services or facilities) Free Loading Tossers. Canadians call this Boondocking. Whatever you call it, it’s what motorhomes were made for. From my experience of travelling around Canada (not in a motorhome) I think you will have no trouble finding some beautiful and safe places to wild camp. Just don’t leave your rubbish bags outside or the bears will come calling. Also, make sure your motorhome has fly screens. Some regions are plagued with black flies that give you a nasty itch.
Arh, thanks Kiwicampers, that all makes sense now. We've altered the dates for the trip to Sept 2022 Initially it was 2020, then 2021 and now 2022 - we'll get there eventually!! We normally are FLT (see, I'm into the jargon now 😅) when we go to Greece, just hadn't heard it called that. I quite like the Boondocking term though!
We go for a month in September (preceded by an Alaskan cruise, Covid willing!) so hopefully this will a quieter month for finding some idyllic free spots and campsites (without having to prebook). Cheers 🍻

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
If you have the time and cash, have a look at the Inside Passage, an 18/20 hr day ferry from Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert we saw several whales, and a sea eagle taking a salmon.
From Prince Rupert we went to Hyder just across the American Alaska border to a great Bear / Salmon viewing area, check the dates when the Bears are feeding. We were in a car but there were RVs parked up at the viewing area. The road to Hyder is a dead end so no visa was required as the only access was via Canada.
We saw plenty of bears as we were driving around.
Thanks Sheddy. We're actually booked on a 7 day cruise to Alaska, taking in the Inside Passage before we pick up the MH, so we'll look out for Hyder and the whale watching area. The cruise was cancelled in 2020 and has been cancelled again for 2021 hence one of the reasons we've deferred again til 2022. In one way it's been a blessing cos as it was one of the elements of the whole trip and the cruise was cancelled by the cruise company, the travel agents (Trailfinders) gave us options for refund or deferral. We don't normally use agents, preferring to book independently but on this occasion, because of Covid, it was probably lucky we did.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Our 1st motorhoming trip was in Canada's west coast. For 2 weeks late September 2002.
From the UK we arranged our camper-van rental & prebooked one 2 night campsite in the mountains.
We picked up the camper-van in Vancouver. A short taxi ride (or courtesy vehicle 🤔 ) from the airport.
Headed west via some lakes. Then went in to the mountains.
The season turned suddenly to winter so - with frozen waterpipes - our only pre-arranged campsite shut early for winter. They did give us a chalet to rest up in before being moved on.
We followed the Glacier highway, etc.

Despite only pre-booking one campsite we never had to wild camp.
RV campsites are so common we just went to the area we fancied and found an RV park.
Thanks Kevenh, we're following a similar route and at a similar time (mid/late September) so good to note the change in weather at that time of year! We're also picking up the MH (Cruise Canada, C25) from near the airport.
When you say 'headed west' is that via Whistler then or Kamloops on your way to the Rockies?
Thanks

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Thanks Kevenh, we're following a similar route and at a similar time (mid/late September) so good to note the change in weather at that time of year! We're also picking up the MH (Cruise Canada, C25) from near the airport.
When you say 'headed west' is that via Whistler then or Kamloops on your way to the Rockies?
Thanks
One of the downside at that time of the year that many of the campsites close as the water supply freezes. Just make sure you call ahead to the local tourist office and they will have a list of what’s open. Sometimes the black waste tank freezes and we have seen people using hairdryers to thaw out the external connection! Great time of the year to go away though. I will try and look out the route we took for 7 weeks.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You should know today new restrictions came in to force in BC as cases are rising again so would recommend you delay until 2022, it will still be as magical as ever! Our home and family are there and would not consider travelling at the moment as much as we want to.
Can give you advice willingly but it would be my opinion and what suits me may not suit you.
Will willingly post what should not be missed, the parts that are not worth it and even some alternatives you may not think about if you wish either by PM or on here.
I know a few campsites but obviously living in a home there haven't used too many of them!
Remember it is a huge area and you can spend many years there and not see half of it so in a few weeks do not try to cram it all in unless you like driving a lot! That said it is a very very easy place to drive!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thanks
It was before I bought a GPSr but mrskevenh keeps a diary: -

Canadian Itinerary
Sat 21 Sept
Home / Vancouver
Leave Gatwick at 15:45 on flight TS863 and arrive Vancouver airport at 17:30 for an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn, Metrotown
Sun 22 A day at leisure in Vancouver with a second night at the Holiday Inn
Mon 23 Collected by the RV company to pick up the RV. After a visit to the supermarket take a leisurely drive to overnight at Lytton
Tue 24 Leave Lytton and continue on to overnight at Canyon Hot Springs
Wed 25 Leave Canyon Hot Springs and drive to Banff where we will stay for the next three nights
Thur 26 A day in Banff site seeing and hiking
Fri 27 Spend the day at Lake Louise then return to overnight at Banff
Sat 28 Transfer from Banff to the David Thompson Resort RV Campsite where we will spend the night <<<< This was our pre-booked campsite that closed early for Winter the day we arrived!
Sun 29 Leave David Thompson Resort to travel the Icefield parkway to Jasper
Mon 30 Spend the morning in Jasper before continuing on to Wells Gray Park
Tue 1 Oct Spend the day at Wells Gray Park then drive to Vernon for an overnight stop
Wed 2 Leave the Vernon campsite to drive on to Penticton where we will spend the day
Thur 3 Leave Penticton to travel back to the coast just outside Vancouver
Fri 4 A short drive back to Vancouver to return the RV before noon, this will leave an afternoon at leisure in central Vancouver. Overnight at the Holiday Inn
Sat 5 Board the bus for Victoria for a day of Whale watching. Evening bus back to Vancouver to overnight in the Holiday Inn
Sun 6 A day at leisure in the local shopping centre before departing Vancouver on the 23:55 flight number TS822 back to Gatwick
Mon 7 Arrive Home at 17:05

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
One of the downside at that time of the year that many of the campsites close as the water supply freezes. Just make sure you call ahead to the local tourist office and they will have a list of what’s open. Sometimes the black waste tank freezes and we have seen people using hairdryers to thaw out the external connection! Great time of the year to go away though. I will try and look out the route we took for 7 weeks.
Great thanks Pandas. We hadn't thought it would be that cold in mid/late Sept but we live and learn. I'm glad we're aware of the possibility - maybe we'll pack the hairdryer! We'll obviously follow our noses but plan some sort of rough route but having a looksee at your itinerary would be useful albeit we'll only have 20 days. (7 weeks? Really! Wow!!)

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
You should know today new restrictions came in to force in BC as cases are rising again so would recommend you delay until 2022, it will still be as magical as ever! Our home and family are there and would not consider travelling at the moment as much as we want to.
Can give you advice willingly but it would be my opinion and what suits me may not suit you.
Will willingly post what should not be missed, the parts that are not worth it and even some alternatives you may not think about if you wish either by PM or on here.
I know a few campsites but obviously living in a home there haven't used too many of them!
Remember it is a huge area and you can spend many years there and not see half of it so in a few weeks do not try to cram it all in unless you like driving a lot! That said it is a very very easy place to drive!
Excellent, many thanks. We have now (earlier today) deferred the trip to Sept 2022 for the exact reasons you say. In our research we were finding that hotels were not fully functioning, cruise had been cancelled, possibility of having to quarantine in hotel on arrival back in uk, etc. so we decided to postpone.
An idea of what not to miss and possible alternatives would be brilliant, thanks. On here is fine by me (so others can possibly use the info at some point) but PM is also fine. We've only got 20 days with the MH and are hoping to do some of Vancouver Island in addition to the Rockies. Thanks

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
It was before I bought a GPSr but mrskevenh keeps a diary: -

Canadian Itinerary
Sat 21 Sept
Home / Vancouver
Leave Gatwick at 15:45 on flight TS863 and arrive Vancouver airport at 17:30 for an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn, Metrotown
Sun 22 A day at leisure in Vancouver with a second night at the Holiday Inn
Mon 23 Collected by the RV company to pick up the RV. After a visit to the supermarket take a leisurely drive to overnight at Lytton
Tue 24 Leave Lytton and continue on to overnight at Canyon Hot Springs
Wed 25 Leave Canyon Hot Springs and drive to Banff where we will stay for the next three nights
Thur 26 A day in Banff site seeing and hiking
Fri 27 Spend the day at Lake Louise then return to overnight at Banff
Sat 28 Transfer from Banff to the David Thompson Resort RV Campsite where we will spend the night <<<< This was our pre-booked campsite that closed early for Winter the day we arrived!
Sun 29 Leave David Thompson Resort to travel the Icefield parkway to Jasper
Mon 30 Spend the morning in Jasper before continuing on to Wells Gray Park
Tue 1 Oct Spend the day at Wells Gray Park then drive to Vernon for an overnight stop
Wed 2 Leave the Vernon campsite to drive on to Penticton where we will spend the day
Thur 3 Leave Penticton to travel back to the coast just outside Vancouver
Fri 4 A short drive back to Vancouver to return the RV before noon, this will leave an afternoon at leisure in central Vancouver. Overnight at the Holiday Inn
Sat 5 Board the bus for Victoria for a day of Whale watching. Evening bus back to Vancouver to overnight in the Holiday Inn
Sun 6 A day at leisure in the local shopping centre before departing Vancouver on the 23:55 flight number TS822 back to Gatwick
Mon 7 Arrive Home at 17:05
That's great, thanks kevenh. This gives us a good start point on planning our own route. As we all know doing your own thing is what it's all about with a MH but having a head start (using your itinerary) gives us a good idea of what is possible in the time available. Thanks very much for sharing. 👍

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Blimey! Can't attach Google Earth kml files.

Not sure of actual route or mileage but roughly as the zipped GE attachment and for ~1400miles of driving - used a boat for Victoria ;) :rofl:

Attachments

• Canada 2002.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Blimey! Can't attach Google Earth kml files.

Not sure of actual route or mileage but roughly as the zipped GE attachment and for ~1400miles of driving - used a boat for Victoria ;) :rofl:
Cheers. I bought a good Canadian road map last week so can plot your route on there 👍

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Great thanks Pandas. We hadn't thought it would be that cold in mid/late Sept but we live and learn. I'm glad we're aware of the possibility - maybe we'll pack the hairdryer! We'll obviously follow our noses but plan some sort of rough route but having a looksee at your itinerary would be useful albeit we'll only have 20 days. (7 weeks? Really! Wow!!)
We were heading back from Whitehorse which is the northern most point early October, around the Icefield parkway mid October.
Vanvouver>Tofino>Saratoga Beach>Telegraph Cove>Whistler>ten mile Lake>Stewart>>Terrace>Inside Passage>Haines> White Horse>Alascan Highway> Jasper>Emerald Lake>Icefield Parkway>Emerald Lake>>peyto Lake>Lake Louise>Banff>Lake Minnewanka>Bow Valley Parkway>Lake Moraine>Kinbasket>Emerald Lake>Kamloops>Vancouver>Home End October. Peyto Lake is the most beautiful lake in the World to see. Lots of lakes!

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We were heading back from Whitehorse which is the northern most point early October, around the Icefield parkway mid October.
Vanvouver>Tofino>Saratoga Beach>Telegraph Cove>Whistler>ten mile Lake>Stewart>>Terrace>Inside Passage>Haines> White Horse>Alascan Highway> Jasper>Emerald Lake>Icefield Parkway>Emerald Lake>>peyto Lake>Lake Louise>Banff>Lake Minnewanka>Bow Valley Parkway>Lake Moraine>Kinbasket>Emerald Lake>Kamloops>Vancouver>Home End October. Peyto Lake is the most beautiful lake in the World to see. Lots of lakes!
Thanks Pandas, that's some trip and certainly more extensive than we can manage. However it gives us some idea of a provisional route that we can adapt. Many thanks 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back