Itchen Toll Bridge - Southampton (1 Viewer)

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
On a recent trip to The Isle Of Wight, we found ourselves stuck in traffic trying to got the toll bridge over the River Itchen on our way to Southampton Docks. When we eventually got to the toll kiosk, as we were travelling at peak time - 9-00 a.m. - we were charged the princely sum of £25-00 for the privilege of crossing the river. They insisted that our motorhome counted as a HGV !

We couldn't afford the time to turn round as the traffic heading away from the bridge was at a standstill and we had a ferry to catch. Needless to say we learned our lesson and set the sat nav to avoid tolls on the return journey, and it found a free crossing just up the river. So, if you are heading for Southampton Docks at peak time, please be aware that Dick Turpin wasn't the only one committing highway robbery !

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I would have just stopped, handbrake on, engine switched off and walked to the booth and continued to state that I am not HGV (which I am not).

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
On a recent trip to The Isle Of Wight, we found ourselves stuck in traffic trying to got the toll bridge over the River Itchen on our way to Southampton Docks. When we eventually got to the toll kiosk, as we were travelling at peak time - 9-00 a.m. - we were charged the princely sum of £25-00 for the privilege of crossing the river. They insisted that our motorhome counted as a HGV !

We couldn't afford the time to turn round as the traffic heading away from the bridge was at a standstill and we had a ferry to catch. Needless to say we learned our lesson and set the sat nav to avoid tolls on the return journey, and it found a free crossing just up the river. So, if you are heading for Southampton Docks at peak time, please be aware that Dick Turpin wasn't the only one committing highway robbery !

I guess you're more than 2.39m high at your front axle, so £25 is correct - albeit I agree, a rip off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@MH 55 FUN I would still insist that they measure the height of my MH at the exact point of the front axle to verify it is higher that 2.39m and then question the accuracy of their tape measure and ask to see the certificate of accuracy and then...........

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I would have just stopped, handbrake on, engine switched off and walked to the booth and continued to state that I am not HGV (which I am not).

H.G.V. or not, class 4 toll @ £25 is more than 2.39 m high at the front axle, which most A class & overcab bed coachbuilts will be :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
I guess you're more than 2.39m high at your front axle, so £25 is correct - albeit I agree, a rip off.

We are over 3 metres so they got us bang to rights :-( But with no alternative way thorough the traffic, it was swallow the charge or miss the ferry.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@MH 55 FUN I appreciate what you are saying but the Southampton City Council price list specifically says Class 4 is 'HGV' in excess of 2.39m at the first axle so they are stating it only applies to HGV's. It is quite clear. It may be the incompetency of a public servant at Southampton but that is their problem and not the ustomers.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We are over 3 metres so they got us bang to rights :-( But with no alternative way thorough the traffic, it was swallow the charge or miss the ferry.

It's rip off, if you were a low profile coachbuilt with no over cab bed, the charge would be £1.20. :eek:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

They did not have you 'bang to rights' unless your vehicle is registered as HGV or HPV (if that is the correct term) but you only paid because of your time limitation. Even though you have paid I would take it up with Southampton City Council and maybe consider a County Court Action?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
@MH 55 FUN I appreciate what you are saying but the Southampton City Council price list specifically says Class 4 is 'HGV' in excess of 2.39m at the first axle so they are stating it only applies to HGV's. It is quite clear. It may be the incompetency of a public servant at Southampton but that is their problem and not the ustomers.

Either way, the height limit seems to apply - I agree it's a rip off.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Either way, the height limit seems to apply - I agree it's a rip off.
Well, I would argue (with Southampton City Council) that the height limit only applies to HGV's. But, as we know, councils impose many illegal fines on motorists which are not challenged but they know individuals generally do not challenge the fines. We need an organisation to protect our rights.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Isn't it just the Council's own class for vehicles over a certain height *(ie not dvla's). I completely sympathise with the op but this isn't a new thing and it's like the Dartford crossing charging some 4x4s as commercials some time back .

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Isn't it just the Council's own class for vehicles over a certain height *(ie not dvla's). I completely sympathise with the op but this isn't a new thing and it's like the Dartford crossing charging some 4x4s as commercials some time back .

I do not question what you have said but why do we just roll over and accept what councils say. I believe we should challenge them all the way.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@MH 55FUN I agree with what you have said. Please do not feel that my previous comments were directed at you. I admit that I do have issues with how our undemocratic councils target sectors of the population without justification.

Deleted User

What they are doing is defining 'HGV' as over 2.39m at the front axle for their purposes, they can define this any way they like, our perception of hgv is from licencing legislation which use their own definition.

I think you will find that 'HGV' is simply a term not a legal definition.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
HGV means Heavy Goods Vehicle. A motorhome is not particularly Heavy, neither is it a Goods vehicle. Ergo, one cannot describe any Motorhome as an HGV.

If they called it a Large vehicle and said anything over whatever height notwithstanding use or length or weight automatically falls into the Large category, then fine.

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new

I would respectfully say that it is your problem if they do not let you over the bridge. :)

Deleted User
HGV means Heavy Goods Vehicle. A motorhome is not particularly Heavy, neither is it a Goods vehicle. Ergo, one cannot describe any Motorhome as an HGV.

If they called it a Large vehicle and said anything over whatever height notwithstanding use or length or weight automatically falls into the Large category, then fine.

I will concede that a motorhome is not a goods vehicle but define 'heavy', you say 'not particularly', which means nothing.

The terminology may not be the best, perhaps 'large vehicle' would have been better, the fact remains that they decided on this particular criteria for a huge increase in price, presumably because they do not really want large vehicles to use the bridge.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
One little known reason for tolls is to control the flow and type of traffic using a bridge. It's obvious that the council are discouraging large vehicles in the city centre.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Same thing happened to me on the M6 toll years ago.Guy kept saying van was HGV.I kept saying it wasn't,didn't work still had to pay £11.50 I think,not happy but wiser.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
You might not like it, but as Southampton Council is desperately short of money they are going to charge whatever they can. It's your problem, not theirs.

I have used the Itchen bridge twice in 30 plus years, there are alternatives which cost nothing.

But thank you for highlighting the exorbitant charge.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sit there and not move. until they call the police. The definition of a motorhome is as a motor car and that is why they do not use HGV mot stations. The height is a bit odd though 2.39 meters.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Same thing happened to me on the M6 toll years ago.Guy kept saying van was HGV.I kept saying it wasn't,didn't work still had to pay £11.50 I think,not happy but wiser.
I had to pay that for my car and a camping trailer

Deleted User
Sit there and not move. until they call the police. The definition of a motorhome is as a motor car and that is why they do not use HGV mot stations. The height is a bit odd though 2.39 meters.

And what's the definition of a HGV?

Nov 16, 2012
Hedge End
Funster No
MH
Bilbo's Nexa
Exp
Since 2012
One little known reason for tolls is to control the flow and type of traffic using a bridge. It's obvious that the council are discouraging large vehicles in the city centre.
Not really - there are several other crossings which are free. We never use the toll bridge (which was supposed to become free when the tolls had paid for it!) and use Northam Bridge - which also delivers vehicles of all sizes into the city centre. Unfortunately nearly everyone else uses Northam too!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I never saw this thread and was VERY UPSET when a charge of £25 flashed up last week, as previously I crossed for 50p (2012). Having blocked the eastbound exit for approx 10mins, the operator agreed to let me over for £1.20 but it would be £25 in future (y).

There will NOT be a future! :whistle: - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back