LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My sister-in-law lives in Abuzzo and is coming back in a couple of weeks* - for good she says. One of the reasons she gives is that she has been treated with rudeness but I think a lot of that is to do with her attitude. I found the people I interacted with helpful and pleasant but I did try to communicate and made sure they knew my lack of Italian was a fault on my side. I was asked a few times where we were from and when I said we lived in Scotland it was as if we were long lost relatives in many cases.

In France I tell people I can only speak French like a very small child and they need to pretend I am such. It usually makes people smile and forgive me for massacring a beautiful language.

"Please, thank you, sorry, good morning/afternoon/evening" go a long way in any language.

*She has not sold her house so we aren't quite sure what the plan is except she can't come and live with us.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Don't get mistaken for a German in Greece
Years ago, holidaying in Crete, we were staying at a small hotel. At the first breakfast, we noticed that we had two small slices of dry bread, one butter square and a tiny tub of honey. The tables on either side had pots of jam, bowls of fruit, yoghurt, honey, slices of cheese and olives. We asked why our breakfast was so Spartan.
It transpired that, as my surname is originally German, they'd concluded we were German. When they found out we were from Britain, all the goodies were brought over to our table and there were warm apologies.
We can see the funny side but it's a little harsh to visit historic wrongs of the fathers on the children or, in this case, the great and grandchildren!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivor Lock

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Don'town one now.
Exp
Since 2012
Blame Brexit, and the fact that Italy is not going to get a cut of 30 billion Quid. I would probably be miffed as well.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Blame Brexit, and the fact that Italy is not going to get a cut of 30 billion Quid. I would probably be miffed as well.
images (26).jpg

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We spent the best part of a month in Italy in 2017, ie post B vote, and found the people perfectly friendly albeit a little manic behind the wheel compared with U.K. drivers.

I did spend some time learning a smattering of Italian and would always start any conversation in broken Italian - and invariably got reply in English. I think trying to speak the local lingo goes a long way.

Off to Poland next week via the Netherlands and Germany, so that will be interesting as I know almost no Dutch or Polish so maybe won’t get on so well.

Re the Germans, I travelled to Germany quite often on business when I was working, and hosted Germans back here. I really like them, contrary to popular belief they do have a sense of humour and I found are good company and good people to do business with.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In my coach driver days I travelled all over Europe and generally found everyone helpful and friendly although I did take the trouble to learn a few words of the language. I did notice that every country had different attitudes so I just adapted.

To be honest I found folk less friendly and helpful in the UK!

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Just returned from a similar route doing Lux/France/Swiss/Italy/Austria/Germany/NL/Belgium
I don’t think the Italians would have bothered with us had it not been for us having a 6yr old in tow who they went out of their way to fuss about but ignored us, not that it bothered us.
We wondered whether it was a Brexit thing but it wasn’t, it was probably because it was us :ROFLMAO:
We found that the Dutch can only communicate by shouting to one another, preferably from one end of the campsite to the other. The Germans tried their best to try their English but didn’t know how to smile, the French just tutted and shrugged and the Swiss were happy amongst themselves letting fireworks off.

The prize for us went to an American who looked like the guy with the beard from the film The Hangover who, despite having his own pitch situated some 100m away, decided to bring his two young kids onto our pitch and play badminton. He even brought his chair and coffee. It was totally random as we were inside our Motorhome so wasn’t as if it was kids making friends. My sarcasm was totally lost on him and I still think his skin was made of Teflon.
You can imagine my delight when they lost the shuttlecock on my Motorhome roof.
I think that we are all just different - like our English neighbours in their big American RV.
They never sat out once and when they did go out, he wore trousers and blazer whilst we had our shorts & T shirt stuck to us in the heat.
God know what they all must think of us Brits :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back