Italy to Germany - route selection? (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
sometime early May I aim to be in Italy at Massa (near Pisa) and want to get up to Germany (Fussen) to do the romantic road route on way back to Calais. Have about a month.
Route choices are via Austria or Switzerland.
Whilst I generally avoid toll roads, it may be that either route will need some as I don't fancy lugging a 5 tonne tag axle up and down too many windy mountain roads!!!
Thoughts and suggestions welcomed - I'm going blind staring at my maps!!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you want to go the Austria or Switzerland route, you will have to do a mountain crossing! Someone rather inconveniently put a mountain range in the way! :rofl:

On the plus side, whilst the roads are twisty, the scenery is breath taking, and I heartily recommend it! :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just a side note @BreweryDave If you take a 5 tonne tag into Switerland, you are going to have to pay the heavy vehicle levy charge. It isn't expensive, but you do have to stop at the border and fill in the paperwork.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd chose Switzerland
Cheaper and quicker than Mont Blanc tunnel

We paid €25 for 10 x 1 day Swiss road pass in our 4.25 ton van

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I'd elect for the Brenner Pass easy through to Innsbruck then 120km to Fussen

Pete

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Second on the Brenner Pass, take the Italian toll road as far as Brenaro and then take the 182 which is the old Brenner pass road towards Innsbruck, if you stay off the Motorway you wont need a go-box for Austria.

We went that way and onto Garmisch back in August.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
So it's possible to avoid the motorways and have no go box without running foul of weight limits?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Did it last autumn, pretty much. A couple of nights at Fossalta on Lake Garda, up to Bolzano to see Otzi The Iceman, then drove through the Brenner Pass (worth it just for the scenery) to a site at Hall in Tirol near Innsbruck which allows MH parking on tarmac near the front gate for a lower fee. After that we headed for Vienna via southern Germany but I'm guessing Fussen wouldn't be too hard to get to from there. There's a well-established Stellplatz at Fussen which is a handy stopover for the nearby Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Castle (Neuschwanstein).

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
So it's possible to avoid the motorways and have no go box without running foul of weight limits?
No, in Austria, if you go on the motorways, you need a go box. Stay off the motorways and you don't. I Switzerland, you have to pay if you are over 3,500kg regardless, but you don't have to muck about with a go-box, you just pay the tax and you are off! :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Did it last autumn, pretty much. A couple of nights at Fossalta on Lake Garda, up to Bolzano to see Otzi The Iceman, then drove through the Brenner Pass (worth it just for the scenery) to a site at Hall in Tirol near Innsbruck which allows MH parking on tarmac near the front gate for a lower fee. After that we headed for Vienna via southern Germany but I'm guessing Fussen wouldn't be too hard to get to from there. There's a well-established Stellplatz at Fussen which is a handy stopover for the nearby Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Castle (Neuschwanstein).
I knew I recognised the place name, we stayed at the Stellplatz in Fussen last year, my little girl wanted to see Neuschwanstein castle. The Stellplatz is perfectly acceptable there! :D

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Second on the Brenner Pass, take the Italian toll road as far as Brenaro and then take the 182 which is the old Brenner pass road towards Innsbruck, if you stay off the Motorway you wont need a go-box for Austria.

We went that way and onto Garmisch back in August.

Am favouring this route - thank you!!! Will head for Garmisch instead of fussen.
Since you've recently done it, I assume I'll have no issues in an 8.2m 5 tonne tag???

Deleted User
Am favouring this route - thank you!!! Will head for Garmisch instead of fussen.
Since you've recently done it, I assume I'll have no issues in an 8.2m 5 tonne tag???

You could always try the Stelvio pass if your game, buses use it!
IMG_1665 (1408 x 1056).jpg

and that's only the top bit on one side.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We are 6.5m and 4250 and had no problems at all, though I would let think the extra couple of metres would Make a difference.

The road is a bit windy is plasses but not steep and certainly not narrow. Once you are in Innsbruck easy drive to Garmisch and onto Fussens from there.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Ya gotta love campsites!
My 'neighbour' has Austrian plates - so correctly assuming he was Austrian I asked him about my proposed route. He did spraken de English ! A little !!!!!
Anyway - long story short
and a couples of bottles of red elicited the information that ' NO' you don't need a go box - hardly any Austrians have one - the roads that 'mirror' the motorways are good roads and no problem - hic !!!!
Brenner pass it is!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back