Italy require covid test result (1 Viewer)

Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Hi all, something of a newbie here and we're still new to this game, being only recently retired and having the time to travel. :)

Had a trip to Italy planned, to go to try to follow the Mille Miglia for a bit, passing through Germany on the way. Was hoping for some late sun in southern Italy.
This week Italy have announced that for travellers from UK they require a negative covid test result. Advice on Gov.uk reads:
Entry to Italy from the UK
A negative COVID-19 test result is required when you arrive in Italy from the UK.

The test needs to have been carried out in the 72 hours prior to your travel and should be a molecular (PCR) or an antigenic test. You’ll be asked to show proof of your test date and result at the border.

You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country. You should arrange to take a private test.

Alternatively, you can take a free COVID-19 test at the airport when you arrive in Italy. You will have to self-isolate at your hotel or accommodation until you get the results back from your test.

At some airports, fast testing is available, and you will be able to get your results within an hour. At these airports, you usually won’t be allowed to leave until your results are available. Check the website of the airport you are flying to for more information on their process and operating times.

Remember that if you test positive, you will be quarantined until two consecutive negative tests have been recorded. The time spent in quarantine can vary greatly from a few days to several weeks. Travellers should be prepared for this eventuality. <<

Wondering what to do about this. Haven't seen much in the media about this at all. We have the Eurotunnel booked for Tuesday. Wondering what kind of checks are being done at borders. Shall we go to Spain instead?

Is there anyone else here that goes to Italy for late sun, would appreciate the thoughts of those more experienced than us. :)

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Coincidentally, a close friend was telling me about this subject on Thursday. He is car racing in Italy This weekend.
Apparently getting a Private test done proved quite straightforward. Cost him around £150. He found a suitable testing lab via Google, rang around and read reviews online, to check they were Ukas approved and would return the results in time.
I can find out more details when he returns next Friday if it helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Coincidentally, a close friend was telling me about this subject on Thursday. He is car racing in Italy This weekend.
Apparently getting a Private test done proved quite straightforward. Cost him around £150. He found a suitable testing lab via Google, rang around and read reviews online, to check they were Ukas approved and would return the results in time.
I can find out more details when he returns next Friday if it helps.
Hi, many thanks for this. I have been looking at private testing, prices I've seen have been a little higher than that at £180, there's two of us of course so that would be £360... and I'm guessing perhaps I'm not that keen to go to Italy. :-(

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
We have just recently returned from a holiday in Sardinia.
We had to fill forms in online twice before We left the UK.
No Covid test to visit but this has now changed due to surge happening in the UK.
We also had to pre-fill .gov forms in before We returned to the UK.
Wearing 'surgical masks' on Easyjet was mandatory { except when eating or drinking }
We kept watching the news on Holiday as the situation was and is changing globally on a daily basis.
We were tempted to visit Corsica but that is a French Island and a Covid test was required so We didn't .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for advice folks. Gus-Lopez has got me thinking, and reading rules again. On gov.uk it says: "Entry to Italy from the UK" - we'd be entering from Austria. The rules doesn't stipulate citizens or residents of UK, just entering from UK.

Furthermore rules say: " Entry to Italy from outside the UK - Travellers arriving into Italy from Malta, Spain, Greece, Croatia, the Netherlands, Belgium, The Czech Republic and France must also undertake the compulsory COVID-19 test".

As I say, we'd be arriving from Austria, and prior to that we'd be in Germany.

Hmm. I think we might be going. Due to leave Tuesday.

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Ah - think I've answered my own question. On an official Italian site it says

>>Belgium, the whole France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Spain (as per the Order of the Minister of Health of 7 October 2020, in force from 8 October to 15 October 2020): persons entering/returning to Italy from these countries (after staying or transiting in any of these Countries in the 14 days prior to travelling to Italy) besides filling in a self-declaration form, must also:

a) present a declaration to the effect that they have taken a molecular or antigenic swab test, with a negative result, within 72 hours before entering Italy;

alternatively

b) take a molecular or antigenic swab test on arrival at the airport, port, or border location (where possible) or within 48 hours of entering Italy at the competent local health authority surgery.<<

We can stay in Germany and Austria for 14 days beforehand, which would be no hardship, although we'd miss the Mille Miglia, and then head into Italy and head south for some late sun. Italy seems to be doing much better than us regarding covid, especially southern Italy.

Am struggling to persuade wife to go to Spain. Seems Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands and UK are not doing well.

Sugar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back