Aug 12, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New
Hi,
We are off to Italy in May with Diesel the dog, to go to lake Garda and lake Como, new to MHs and had a few questions.
Do we need to book at that time of year ?
Any recommendations for nice sites by the water and walking distance to the pub etc.
We have booked for the first week at Como just to get started.
thanks in advance.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi,
We are off to Italy in May with Diesel the dog, to go to lake Garda and lake Como, new to MHs and had a few questions.
Do we need to book at that time of year ?
Any recommendations for nice sites by the water and walking distance to the pub etc.
We have booked for the first week at Como just to get started.
thanks in advance.
We were in Lake Maggiore in May/June last year (2017) and just pulled up at a site that was in the ACSI book. Really nice site and very friendly. We'd travelled down through Eastern France staying at Aires mainly and transitted Switzerland (didn't stay because sure at Brig seemed to be inhabited by, shall we say, travellers so stayed foc on The Simplon Pass.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We stayed on 2 ACSI sites on Lake Garda last week in June, no need to book unless you want a particular site. One we tried was full but it was in busy area right at the south end of the lake. Snowed on us one night 1st July!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We've done the Italian Lakes twice now. Lake Maggiore was really nice and loads of acsi sites on most lakes. Last September we did the Lake Garda area. I would really recommend Camping Baia Verde lake Garda, big pitches, good shade, close to lake and bars etc. However we also discovered some smaller more beautiful lakes like Lake Iseo and Lake Caldonazzo. If you want more detail on these take a look at my travel blog with some good pictures of these. You may need to scroll down to get them but well worth a look.
http://lightningtours.blogspot.co.uk/
Maggiore is Sept 2015
Garda area Sept 2017

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We stayed on 2 ACSI sites on Lake Garda last week in June, no need to book unless you want a particular site. One we tried was full but it was in busy area right at the south end of the lake. Snowed on us one night 1st July!
Wow, we've stayed there a few times, always had good weather in May/June. (Except for sudden rain squalls, over in no time). It's those mountains!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you go through Switzerland paying for the vignette then there is a free stop at Martigny which is then about an hour from the start of the pass where they filmed the original italian job called the grand st bernard pass which goes up to about 2,500 metres (plus i think), Allow a day to get over and charge your camera before leaving.
The obvious stop over the either side in italy is Aosta. A really secure site. Looks like a prison yard and cost 12 euros. Possibly the worst paying site i have ever stayed at.
Lake Maggiore (or similar spelling)has a free aire just north of Arona where you can pay to climb up the second biggest statue on the inside and have views over the lake.
Como has some free parking which was surprisingly quiet as we had to park against the road.
Might see you around Garda area as have to be in Venice for 23rd 24th ish but doing cinque terre and florence on the way

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wow, we've stayed there a few times, always had good weather in May/June. (Except for sudden rain squalls, over in no time). It's those mountains!
It was a late spring that year. We were snowed in in Switzerland on way down for 2 nights and campsite owner said spring about month late.

OP
OP
Flooky

Flooky

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New
Thanks for the replies, is it hassle to go through Switzerland with the dog ? and whats a vignette ? because of not knowing all this I was gonna use the French border, is this wrong ?

OP
OP
Flooky

Flooky

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New
We've done the Italian Lakes twice now. Lake Maggiore was really nice and loads of acsi sites on most lakes. Last September we did the Lake Garda area. I would really recommend Camping Baia Verde lake Garda, big pitches, good shade, close to lake and bars etc. However we also discovered some smaller more beautiful lakes like Lake Iseo and Lake Caldonazzo. If you want more detail on these take a look at my travel blog with some good pictures of these. You may need to scroll down to get them but well worth a look.
http://lightningtours.blogspot.co.uk/
Maggiore is Sept 2015

I like the look of Baia verde, looks great
Garda area Sept 2017

OP
OP
Flooky

Flooky

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New
Sorry cant even post properly, he he, I like the look of Baia Verde looks great

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We went through Switzerland and got a vignette at the border. We had to find a border post that was occupied and the guy issued it to us there and then. That was when we went to Maggiore. Switzerland expensive. Some sites charge a lot of money for taking your waste, even if you don't have any. When we went to Garda we went the long way around but found it a lovely trip....France, to Belgium to Luxembourg, back into France, Germany, Austria and then Italy. Avoided the Austrian motorway tolls.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back