Italy in the Spring - maybe???? (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My sister (in-law) and her husband want to go to Italy with us in April / May and to visit the Adriatic side of the country. We have about 6 weeks to get there and explore. Brother-in-Law speaks fluent Italian - his parents were from Italy. They are thinking of emigrating there so it is more of a fact finding trip than a holiday.

I am busy looking at routes and costs now but has anyone done this and any tips on the best route or places to avoid? I'm not sure how she will react to the restrictions in the van but we will see....... she does like a long shower and her hair drier, tongs etc. !!!!

I think it will cost far more than they are expecting to take the van and they will decide on a cheap flight, hotel and car hire but we will see. If they do go we will be going to visit them regularly so information won't be wasted!

We will travel from SE Scotland, Teesside to pick up in-laws and then down from there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally if you've never taken them away before in your camper for at least a few days I would be very wary of spending 6 weeks in it with them! You'll probably end up wanting to kill each other!!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
This is a popular question in the Continental Touring thread.

If it was us we'd probably drive through France to Briancon then cross into Italy via Montgenevre, thus avoiding the excessive Mont Blanc (or Frejus) Tunnel toll. Then we'd drive straight across northern Italy to the Adriatic coast.

An alternative is to head through France to Basel, then go through Switzerland and the Gotthard tunnel into N Italy, drive down past the lakes then head eastwards. You'd only have to pay the Swiss motorway vignette fee (not much) to use the Gotthard tunnel.

An alternative scenic route is via Strasbourg , through the Black Forest to Lake Constance, then into Austria and down into N Italy via the Brenner Pass. Nice views, but more driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sounds like a game of Russian Roulette with an automatic.

Have you done the weight sums, two adults and belongings are not light.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sounds like a game of Russian Roulette with an automatic.

... that was my second thought ... but I decided there was no point in mentioning it as once they've killed off the 'inter-loapers' there'll be more than enough payload! :D2

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Yep, been to the weighbridge fully loaded with us and all our gear (including cycles and kayaks and all their gear which we won't be taking) plus food and Stephen's toys (18kg in his train set alone). Oh full tank of diesel and water and gas (since swapped to a light weigh refillable). We still have just over 400kg (we are rated at more than 3500!!) Sis and her hubby are light-weights at less than 80 kg each :)

I am suggesting they get a cheap flight and use a B&B or home rent but if they do still want to do the trip I will insist we have a long weekend (at least) before we do the big trip. Not sure how sis will react to not being able to use her hair dryer!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its much different spending time with friends and family in a house or hotel,,you have a bedroom to escape each other...You WILL annoy each other but having the privacy of a bedroom to call each other blind every night relieves the tension each evening..In the motorhome you cannot do that,,I don't think i could hack it for a couple of days,,BUSBY:):)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Well we worked out the rough cost of fuel, tunnel, campsites and divided by two. It's much cheaper for them to get a cheap flight to Rome from Newcastle, get a hire car and an apartment for a month. Guess what they are going to do?

And we are going to Ireland instead :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well we worked out the rough cost of fuel, tunnel, campsites and divided by two. It's much cheaper for them to get a cheap flight to Rome from Newcastle, get a hire car and an apartment for a month. Guess what they are going to do?

And we are going to Ireland instead :)

Phew ! Close shave.

But Ireland or Italy, I think you got that wrong. I'm a bit biassed.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
But Ireland or Italy, I think you got that wrong. I'm a bit biassed.

But we don't have ancestors in Italy .......

We'll take the kayaks to Ireland so we'll be alright :)

We have been away in the van with Martin's niece and her two teenage children and we all had a great time. The teens are asking if they can come with us later this year so maybe we are doing something wrong!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We (the 2 of us) went to Italy in the spring of 2016. Went via France and crossed into Switzerland at Basle. Then straight across Switzerland on the motorways and crossed into Italy at Como. Easy journey - other than the fact that an idiot reversed into us on a Belgian motorway aire!! Once you drop down to Milan you have the choice of going straight on to the West side of Italy or turning left and heading towards the Adriatic side.

We went down the west coast as far as Sorrento then drove across Italy and headed north up the Adriatic side.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

We'll take the kayaks to Ireland so we'll be alright :)

We have been away in the van with Martin's niece and her two teenage children and we all had a great time. The teens are asking if they can come with us later this year so maybe we are doing something wrong!

I don't have ancestors in France Portugal or Spain,,,my surname is Nicholson (Scottish ancestors) BUT THE SUN DONT SHINE long enough there,, so we go where it does,,BUSBY:D:D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Don't be too sure. The Romans were quite generous with their sperm.

We once hired a boat on the Erne, pleasant week, very quiet but a bit on the boring side.

Never been bored in Italy. Garda offers you a 30 mile paddle, not big enough ?

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We once hired a boat on the Erne, pleasant week, very quiet but a bit on the boring side.

Never been bored in Italy. Garda offers you a 30 mile paddle, not big enough ?

But no family history mystery to be solved in Italy!!

30 miles is only 2 days paddling at most.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back