Italy in January/February? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We are thinking about a trip to Italy after Christmas. Does anyone have any advice or comment please?

We like to tour and prefer Aires (especially free ones;)). Is there an area better suited to touring at that time of year with regard to weather and aires etc.

Big sites do not appeal to us, nor do big cities.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thank you(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Aires (Sostas) in Italy are there but can be a bit pricier then France and no way as many. You dont say where you are heading but weather in North will be very cool!

You would have to head south to chase the weathr. Sicily is a winter camping destination but will be quiet compared to Benidorm:D

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks Judge, I was just looking at a couple of weather sites for Italy....... looks like a long drive South!

Quiet is good(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes it is a big country and fuel the most expensive in Europe (slightly more then here). Not really a winter destination, spring would be far nicer IMO but I like decent weather, and we are all different......To drive through Italy and not visit Tuscany without looking would be criminal in my book...

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have just spent time in Italy - down through Umbria and back through Tuscany with two and a half weeks in France going there and back. We used Sostas and I don't think we had to pay for any (our entire 6+ weeks average nightly cost was € 60 cents).
In January and February you may find the fresh water is shut off on some sostas. Those in the lowland areas will probably be more likely to have water. The hills in Liguria and the Appenines are quite high as, of course, are the areas bordering the Alps.
Most campsites will be closed anyway so you will be restriced to sostas in the main.
Remember that in order to reach Italy you will have to travel through mountains requiring winter tyres and once in Italy, many areas will also require you to have winter tyres fitted; some areas will require you to carry snow chains.

Regarding loacting sostas, our recommendation would be the book 'Camperstop Europe' published by Facile Media - a Dutch company - it's available in English.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back