Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Having travelled to S Spain twice in Oct / Nov we are considering going to Italy this year. We would like to go to Sicily. The trip would be around 9 weeks.

But we have a couple of concerns and I wonder of anyone has experience of Italy at that time of year.

The first is that there appear to be very few sites open at that time of year.

The second is that sites seem to be expensive, with figures like 55 or even 60 euros mentioned, per night.

Third, I am very familiar with french aires, and this year we have been impressed with germain stellplatz, does Italy have anything similar?

Finally how are the roads in S Italy for a reasonable (7m) van?

Any comments about motorhomes in Italy in October / November would be much appreciated.

Thanks

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Last time we used a campsite in Italy was in 2008 in a village near Siena. Cost was about €25 per night (MH + 2) as I remember including electricity (no option not to have it). Your prices look very steep to me, but Italy is known to be more expensive than France.
Most sites close on 30th September as far as I know.
Where France has Aires de Service, Italy has Sostas. Many of these are listed in guides such as the French "Aires de Service - Camping Car" and also on "CC Infos" website. Also, on this website:
Link Removed
you will see "Sosta_Camper" in the navigation bar at the top.

Quite a few Sostas charge - a fee of €10 per night is not unusual - but some are free. We have used them in Verona, Vicenza, La Spezia and Gubio to name a few. Once you get into it, finding a pitch in Italy is quite simple, but campsites will be scarce in winter.

Philip

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi motorhomer

In Oct & Nov 2005 had 45 days in Italy. Only 3 or 4 nights on sites. We used sostas (aires) or wildcamped. Got way down south but didn't go to Sicily (don't like ferries).

The further south we went the less English was spoken but when we wanted what they had & they wanted our money we managed to communicate.::bigsmile:

Also the locals can be subject to Mafia pressure. In one town there were no Taxis despite having Taxi Ranks. The locals just shrug & say 'No taxis in Coriliagno'

Had no problem with the roads in 7m van.

Not even when the tarmac ran out:whatthe:

Have a great trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
We went that way in January plenty of sites open on Sicily but struggled from Pompeii down to there came back up the east coast found a few open there best to get the asci book and all you pay is the €15 and you can see which sites are open aswell

OP
OP
motorhomer

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Thanks for the replies. Sostas sound like at least a partial answer. One of the dificulties with assessing prices is that books like the caravan club and acsi (not the discount book)tend to quote for high season and for a family of 4, which can be very different from 2 adults out of season.

Do I gather that wildcamping is OK there?

Thanks again,

Jeff O

PS, currently we are using WIFI on a site in Austria towards the end of a trip through Czech Poland, Slovakia and Hungary. Very good (apart from weather!). Also WIFI is a bit intermittent so if there are more replies that I don't acknowledge for a while it will be due to lack of internet access.

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
If you check my signature you will see some of the places we stayed at will try to put a few more on from Italy when I get mh back as it was a 4 mounth trip in total around Italy we also found that a lot of the sostas cost around the same as acsi sites a few even more. The most we paid for a site was €15 and a sosta €20 (with no electric) thats 2 adults and a dog with a 7.5m mh with scooter on back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

silverbike

Free Member
May 13, 2008
Funster No
We're planning to go in September and have already bought the Acsi book - maximum charge €15. It also gives the opening and closing dates for each site so you can check.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back