Italy for winter - advice svp? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Hello peeps!
Have spent last two winters in Spain but as we find ourselves at the start of an Italian tour - currently only in Trento - we are toying with the idea that over-wintering in Italia may make a pleasant change.

We have been told however that Italy almost closes down in winter and that we'd get pretty bored soon. Has anybody esperienced over-wintering in this neck of the European woods?

We would like the temperature to be a la Mediterranean Spain or similar. Travelling distance not an issue as we plan to tour wherever the fancy takes us. Sicily is a particular region that I am very interested in.
Any recommendations, advice, guidance etc mucho appreciated.
Thanks

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sicily I would think..many get ferry from Genoa I think? as its a long drive on rubbish roads when you head south. Not as popular as Spain but we fancy trying it in the future

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Not at all.... Meet a couple a few years back when on way home from Spain ( waiting for delayed ferry) it was May. They had been in Sicily all winter and were heavily tanned...

Med Spain probably more reliable and busier..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Mainland Italy can be unbelievably cold in winter. Any winds from the East /North East are cold and they seem to miss any warm air that might circulate up across the med.
I'd think Sicily would give you the best chance of above freezing temperatures but unlikely to be as warm as southern Spain. Expect 9-13c day temps but of course any full on sun will raise that.

Reactions: f6c
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Puglia is warm in winter according to my friend who has a house there...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Puglia is warm in winter according to my friend who has a house there...
image.png

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Search on here,last year a Funster enjoyed winter in Sicily.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Have spent a winter in Sicily and enjoyed it very much . Not roasting hot but very comfortable . Drive down visiting Rome , Positano and Pompii en route . Ferry back Palermo to Genoa. Palermo driving was horrible !!

Thanks. Could I ask where you stayed ?
Cheers

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
No probs . En route or on Sicily ? Is a number of years ago so sites might not be the same but will look out my diary . The person who has been there more recently in winter is Gary alias Flatpack Chicken so might be worth messaging him too :)
Our first site was in view of Etna. Amazing sight .

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
On Sicily we stayed at Camping Almoetia ( great views of Etna ) Agrigento next stop but didn't note the camp site !! site at Katibubbo was new and in a lovely spot and not far to beach . Diary ran out after that !! sorry :-( But Judgemental has given you good advice . We were there in 2006 !! Didn't realize it was so long ago !

Moritz

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
Italy
Funster No
MH
Alkoven
Exp
since 2013
I just wrote a post in another thread about a Sicilian friend who is collecting and sharing tons of information about touring in sicily. You have to write him a mail ... but i don't know if it is allowed to post mail-addresses here. Just let me know. Thanks

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The bay of Naples is a must. Plenty to do stay at the ASCI campsite at the gates of Pompey next to the train station and you can have a different interesting excursion cheaply by train every day for a fortnight. Throw in a ferry and there is even a day trip to Capri, take sandwiches (it's bloody expensive but worth it particularly if you take a boat trip around it.

Dick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back