Italy.......advice please (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
we are going to Italy in March and would like some advice on touring.
Particularly interested in taking a 7.5metre van into Sorrento and Sicily.....is it doable?
Thanks in advance.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sicily should be no problem with a 7.5m van. There are narrow roads but you can find them anywhere. We did an anti-clockwise circuit of the island, almost exactly 1000 miles in 4 weeks and on reflection we rushed it! As a generalisation, and therefore not wholly true, the nicest bits were the south and east coasts.
If we go back to Sicily it would be in the spring - if only because the flowers will be out then. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
We stayed at Camping Nube d'Argento in Sorrento earlier this year. Coming from Sorrento, the turn in is very sharp (it is easier to go past, turn around and come back), the access from the road down to the site is quite steep and goes around a couple of hairpin bends which were not too much of a problem in my 6m van, but might be with 7.5m.

We walked into Sorrento (about 3/4 mile) and caught the train to see Pompei and Herculaneum.

Cheers

Trevor

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Still finding my way around this site.
Would I have got more response had I posted in Motorhome Chat?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Still finding my way around this site.
Would I have got more response had I posted in Motorhome Chat?
Compared to the numbers going to Spain Italy isn't that popular apart from perhaps the Italian Lakes area. By all means try another thread but I suggest making it specific, such as visiting Sorrento or wherever.

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
We stayed in Piano de Sorrento on a lovely clifftop campsite called Blue Green if I remember correctly and it provides spectacular views over to Sorrento. The access for my 7.5m van was fine and the site had big pitches, It's not an acsi site but was reasonably priced. The rail station was a short walk away to get two stops to Sorrento.
(we had a look at the access for the afore mentioned acsi site and decided it was not for us)
Just watch out for scooters up your backside there are no rules around there.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We stayed at Camping Nube d'Argento in Sorrento earlier this year.

Likewise, that was the site we used on our last trip to Sorrento, and our MH was 7m with bikes on the back. The entrance to the site is a bit tight because it's on a slope but bigger vehicles than ours were using it. The section of road connecting the Autostrade from Naples to Sorrento can get a bit hectic at rush hour but it's not impossible with patience. Going any further around the Amalfi Coast road than the turn around junction just past the campsite isn't a great plan. There's sod all parking for smaller vehicles along that coast, let alone MHs, and there's a lot of hairpins and low balconies. Best way to visit the quaint bits is catch a bus in to the top of the village, walk downhill to the sea then catch a ferry back. For Pompeii the train stop is outside the town gate, for Herculaneum it's a short walk from the Ercolano Scavi station through the suburb to the site.

I can recommend a stroll downhill from the campsite to the older part of Sorrento for an evening meal - it's well hidden from the rest of the town. Capri's worth a day of your time too.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed at Nube d'Argento in Sorrento with our 7.5m vsn. Never sgain! Last 5 miles was nerve-wracking what with tourist buses in the middle of the road and suicidal scooter riders overtaking everything.

And the entrance into and out of the site is very steep and twisty. Ok going down but very difficult back up when you can't get a run at it.

We were only intending to stay for 4 days but it took us a week to pluck up the courage to try to get out. My advice is to stay at a site near Pompei and get the train into Sorrento.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
We stayed at Nube d'Argento in Sorrento with our 7.5m vsn. Never sgain! Last 5 miles was nerve-wracking what with tourist buses in the middle of the road and suicidal scooter riders overtaking everything.

And the entrance into and out of the site is very steep and twisty. Ok going down but very difficult back up when you can't get a run at it.

We were only intending to stay for 4 days but it took us a week to pluck up the courage to try to get out. My advice is to stay at a site near Pompei and get the train into Sorrento.

Thanks for that.....methinks I will avoid that site...I try to avoid stress if I can and that sounds like mega stress to me.
Thanks again.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Thanks for that.....methinks I will avoid that site...I try to avoid stress if I can and that sounds like mega stress to me.
Thanks again.

On the basis of that you'd better not try to traverse any Italian towns by road then. The area around Sorrento has its moments but it's not a lot different to any other built up place in Italy. Fiat Pandas and scooters everywhere and everybody push push pushing. After a day or two you start push push pushing yourself and it becomes a lot easier because you're bigger than a Fiat Panda or a scooter :)

Given the choice between camping in a resort like Sorrento or in a suburb of Naples like Pompeii I know what I'd choose every time, but only you know what's right for you.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Thanks for that.......we may well do........reviews on acsi site are not very encouraging though......only plus seems to be location.
I know we all have our opinions but the pattern is not good.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
On the basis of that you'd better not try to traverse any Italian towns by road then. The area around Sorrento has its moments but it's not a lot different to any other built up place in Italy. Fiat Pandas and scooters everywhere and everybody push push pushing. After a day or two you start push push pushing yourself and it becomes a lot easier because you're bigger than a Fiat Panda or a scooter :)

Given the choice between camping in a resort like Sorrento or in a suburb of Naples like Pompeii I know what I'd choose every time, but only you know what's right for you.
Well now I am undecided ......maybe stay further away and get train in to the sites...is that feasible?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Well now I am undecided ......maybe stay further away and get train in to the sites...is that feasible?

If you mean the Roman sites, the railway runs very close to both, but it stops at Sorrento, so for the Amalfi Coast you need a bus and/or ferry to get you there and back because attempting to drive there in a MH is a bit silly. I reckon the local bus drivers are actually prisoners who get their sentences reduced if they can endure a year of driving the Amalfi route :). There's a bus terminus outside Sorrento station so that's no bother, and ferries go in all directions from the harbour. Sorrento is by the sea and it's geared up for keeping you entertained in the evening, whereas I'm not sure if that applies to Pompeii, which is a stunning historic site but it's a bit of a one trick pony.

Anyway, my experience of traffic was based on a September trip when it was still the tourist high season - you've said you're going in March, which I'm sure will be more sedate.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
If you mean the Roman sites, the railway runs very close to both, but it stops at Sorrento, so for the Amalfi Coast you need a bus and/or ferry to get you there and back because attempting to drive there in a MH is a bit silly. I reckon the local bus drivers are actually prisoners who get their sentences reduced if they can endure a year of driving the Amalfi route :). There's a bus terminus outside Sorrento station so that's no bother, and ferries go in all directions from the harbour. Sorrento is by the sea and it's geared up for keeping you entertained in the evening, whereas I'm not sure if that applies to Pompeii, which is a stunning historic site but it's a bit of a one trick pony.

Anyway, my experience of traffic was based on a September trip when it was still the tourist high season - you've said you're going in March, which I'm sure will be more sedate.

Yes March so hopefully it will be quieter......just did not like the way in and out of the campsite at Sorrento but maybe I will give it a go but I listened intently to Webbys advice.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back