Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
We have just got back from what started as our trip to Lake Como,but as you know having a motor home means you can change your mind and go where you want when you want, so after work on Friday left Yorkshire via the tunnel spending the first night in Citie de Europe in Calais we drove via through Belgium to avoid the tolls and Luxemburg (diesel 1.22 euros a litre) second night at a quiet ACSI site in Nancy, then Switzerland,through the Gotthard tunnel, next night just over the border on the edge of Lake Lugano then we carried on to Lido De Jesolo just the other side of Venice,two nights at another great ACSI site Parco Capraro great site with a pool and 14 euro's a night within easy reach of Venice via a short bus and boat ride.
We then decided to get to Lake Como, although a little hairy driving around the lake we found the most amazing site located on the north west side of the lake called Magic Lake in Dongo, and it was,right by the side of the lake sunny and hot but overlooked by snow capped mountains. Although it was an ACSI site,the low season discount was not aplicable but it was so good we stayed three nights and with a good bus and train service I was able to pay a visit to the Moto Guzzi factory and museum (only opens one hour a day and not weekends) we then drove back through Switzerland stopping only for sightseeing and very expensive meal and drinks, we got to Mullhouse in France another ACSI site with a nice pool were we stayed three nights and met some great people who sugested we should visit Germany as we weren't too far off and we were going towards Luxemburg again so off we went, stopping at a town called Reibervile a charming olde worlde place habited by lots of storks then on to Strasbourg, then on to Saarburg on the upper Moselle a historic town with a fantastic waterfall,the ACSI site Landal Warsberg, we found there was on a plateau with marvelous views and a cable car to get up to the site from the town, it also had a great pool and its own tobbogan ride, we had four nights there and I must say it was the cleanest site we have visited and would recommend it especially for families,we then had a long drive home 534 miles, a total of 2500 miles but well worth it. :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It was reading about your trips to Italy that gave us the idea Brian. :thumb:

I am a bit enthusiastic about the place, and as you now know, getting there is a real joy with so many excellent places to pass through. Via Chamonix is a good way. Last year we routed right round the coast from Nice.

2012 is an Italy free year, does not feel right, I nearly turned right on the way home from Spain but with the ferry booked from St Malo it would not have worked.

2013, not 100% sure yet but I feel Germany deserves a bit more than just a route to Italy. That is provided 2013 is not cancelled due to EU meltdown.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back