Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Camping Cappuccini have replied and can fit us in. It's all coming together :D

@hilldweller Brian, do you know if Luzern Camping International are likely to take us for one night at the end of July if we just turn up or should I try and book it?

Sorry, you will have to ask the site. We usually stop two nights because the place demands you have a good walk into town.

You can't fail to love Cappuccini and Peschiera. You are in for a real treat.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sorry, you will have to ask the site. We usually stop two nights because the place demands you have a good walk into town.

You can't fail to love Cappuccini and Peschiera. You are in for a real treat.

Two nights could be a plan. I was thinking 3 or 4 days bumbling around Maggiore and Como before Peschiera so we have some time. Are the Swiss dog friendly as a rule?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Is Easter (first 2 weeks in April) preferable to August?
Have been looking at the GB Privilege Italy Tour route for ideas and was thinking we could just about get as far as Pisa.
Will need to check if the majority of campsites are open.
As long as the kids get plenty of eating/cycling/water play, (we've bought some inflatable kayaks) I can sneak in a bit of culture!
It would be our first long trip out though.
OR we could plant ourselves around Lac Iseo/Idro for a few days in summer, via Germany and/or Switzerland.
Not sure we'd like heat AND crowds.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have a reservation at Camping Cappucini for a week from 29 July :D

The person I've been emailing has been great.

We're now thinking that we will take a week or so to get there including a couple of days at Lake Lucerne on the way.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
the lakes are fine during the summer, hot but far cooler than med coast....Tuscany a it of a stretch in 2 weeks return @Easter with kids I would think...+ lakes at easter could be iify weather wise, best check as never been there in April but feel its a bit early. That being said my daughter there at the moment staying in Salo and skiing in the mountains, and my son going over wit ha gang of mates in a week for a b day beano :)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Thought I was being too clever. :D
Was more worried about the traffic and queues at all the tourist places, like Bellagio etc. than the hot weather, but I guess you can't have one without the other!
Maybe we'll stick to the smaller, quieter lakes and use the trains for day trips to 'bedlam'.
Joking aside, I'm guessing even the smallest villages/towns sell gelato, right? :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Spent a week in a beautiful lakeside hotel in Bellagio 25 years ago on our honeymoon ( a week each on the 3 main lakes) thought we would pop in for lunch last year....in the camper, not a chance!lol Took the risk and parked in restricted car park anyway and walked into town...Felt so nervous we just grabbed a sandwich and coffee, had a mooch around and drove away. You would be better off staying on other side of the lake and getting one of the numerous ferries over. Bellagio is lovely but compact, go into the Villa Serbelloni for drinks, costs a packet but worth it for the experience......grand piano player on the terrace the works!lol :)

http://www.villaserbelloni.com/

Como is not the best motorhome destination....

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Lake Como, Mandello del Lario Moto Guzzi Factory & Museum, What more could you want (y) not been for years though

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's all coming together for us now.

Tunnel is booked for 22 July, Camping Cappuccini from 29 July to 5 August and tunnel back for 12 August. We're thinking that the week to get there will be via Switzerland stopping at Camping International Luzern for a couple of days (thanks @hilldweller ) The week back to Calais is probably going to be via Austria and Germany

Can't wait :D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just dont try the return over a weekend!:(

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can anyone recommend an aire around Nancy? (y)

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
We are fortune enough to be totally free of stuff for the time being and have spent the past two years wandering around France and Spain. We are going to Italy in just over four weeks and intend to be travelling down to Sorrento, spend a few days hoteling in Capri and then poodling back up the way. So we expect to be in the Italian lake area at the end of June. We're in no rush, only moving around 50/100 miles a day max. Looking at the lakes, it 'appears' that most sites are outside of any urban areas. We would really like a few recommendations of campsites within walking distance of some life. Bars, restaurants, people on streets, that kind of thing.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Camping Tonini http://www.campingtonini.com/en/ is a couple of Km from Malcesine on the shore of Northern Lake Garda...an easy and pleasant walk from the campsite to the hilly , cobbled town which has loads of restaurants , bars etc and also a rotating funivia http://www.funiviedelbaldo.it/en/ which will carry you to the top of Monte Baldo...stunning views on a clear day.
Limone [on the other side of the lake] is a short boat ride away and bustling Torbole and serene Riva Del Garda at the far North of the lake are a short bus or boat ride away. :)

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Thank you Andrew, I'll investigate these tips.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have our plan roughly in place now. If anyone has recommendations for aires in the Saint Quentin/Reims area, and the Mulhouse/Basel area I'd appreciate it. Then 3 nights at Luzern and a week at Camping Cappucini.

On the way back we're going via Germany. A couple of nights in Garmisch, then a Stellplatz somewhere roughly in the Stuttgart area (recommendations welcome again), Bacharach (based on another thread today) then back into France and a stop in the Ardennes somewhere.

That's going to be more or less what we do but if anyone wants to suggest any tweaks I'm listening (y) One option I guess could be to go straight from Garmisch to Bacharach and have 2 nights there.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
have booked camping Covelo on Lake Isleo for 3 nights before we get to lake Garda. any recomendations For lake Maggiore or Veresa please

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Have scrubbed Garda off our list this year as I think it will be too mad. Compared Google street view of Lazise in May and then various campsite pictures in what I presume to be summer. :eek: Easter 2017 looks a better bet (if we ever go).
Lago Iseo is on my list though - especially as they allow boats - and Camping Covello gets very good reviews.
Probably planning to drop past Stuttgart too (husband was born, but never lived there), then I want to stay at one of the Tyrol campsites. The Alps look like fun with a capital F. Summer alpine coaster anyone? :cool: How do you guys tear yourselves away from all they have to offer? Often for free. (y)
I do like their interpretation of a 'family' for pricing purposes too. It means you and er.... all your own children. Novel idea eh, UK? (Yes, yes - there are no TVs in our house!)
I'm probably being seduced by very slick websites e.g. Camping Schlosshof near Merano, but they LOOK a lot closer to 'Millionaires camping' than many of the Italian lake ones, (in peak season) for less money.
Supply and demand, I guess.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Garda? Oh! Its unbearable! and why we go July/August every year..

Salo Saturday lunchtime:giggle:

salo.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Was the weather unusually rubbish (in August) last year? Lots of people reported camping on top of 'rivers of mud'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back