It started with a seized grub screw and ended up with the sink out !!! (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just a little job before winter lay up, a seized grub screw on the Thetford glass sink top hinge, the glass top was a bit loose so needed attention, so tried WD 40 overnight, no chance. After a bit of persuasion on the grub screw the sink hinge then decided to seize in the upright position :doh: In the end I managed to get the hinges out, and found a really a bad design, thanks Thetford!!! Basically there are little metal plungers inside the hinges which are open to water and crap getting into them, so it's only a matter of time before they seize. After using a blow torch to finally get the stuck grub screw out I put in loads of WD 40 and oil to clean the plungers out, a lot of gunk and rust came out, but finally they are now working fine. The sting in the tail ? The hinges would not go back into the sink in situ so ended up having to take the whole sink unit out to finish the job :doh: Built in obsolescence or bad design ? I couldn't find any replacement hinges listed in the Thetford catalogue so I am going for the first one, a new sink sir? that will be £££££££

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
£££££££'s... Is Back pocket money to you,get it BOUGHT!:ROFLMAO:(y)
Tea Bag

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Hi.
£££££££'s... Is Back pocket money to you,get it BOUGHT!:ROFLMAO:(y)
Tea Bag
What :Eeek:You are dealing with an honourary ex aberdonian here.......;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
And the moral of the story is
Don't do a little job without pricing up replacement costs.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
And the moral of the story is
Don't do a little job without pricing up replacement costs.
Not sure, my moral is, don't hit it if you are not sure you can replace it ;)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
You should always apply the "buggeration factor" equation.(n)

Estimated time : (next unit of measurement) x 2

i.e.
When attempting a "30 seconds" job.
Move to next unit of measurement i.e. Minutes
Multiply by two.

30 seconds becomes 30 minutes x 2 = 1hour.

It tends to work for me!:unsure:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
What :Eeek:You are dealing with an honourary ex aberdonian here.......;)
Hi
My experience of "Aberdonian...Shrewed?..ness" Billy Y. and Gary were going home on a 72hr pass,now Billy was built like a Brick...Outhouse,with hands like shovels and a habit of saying. " Phuts wrang ? ... and singing the Northern lights of old Aberdeen" Whereas,Gary was a bit more refined...sort of. So when they got off at some Scottish station,they had to change stations and trains,the conversation went along these lines. "Come on Gary,we will have to get a move on or we will miss the connection (Well,thats what Billy meant in his language:ROFLMAO:)". Gary at this point produces a £5 note holds it aloft and says his family had sent him a £5 to get a Taxi.... What happened next?
Billy snatches the £5 note and says.."RUN!! This is for the BEER!!" Billy reported that when he and Gary got off the train in Aberdeen,Gary was last seen leaving the station being..Supported..by his family:whistle:. How i would have loved to be in Gary's house that night:ROFLMAO:.
Memory. Waiting in the bar of an hotel in Spain,for the night flight home,got quite merry,with two of Londons finest Police officers,it got around to singing time and i started out with... The Northern lights etc. and forgot the words halfway,straight in comes one of the police men and picks up the song,helping me. When we had done,i asked him how he knew the words so well he said. " I was in a Thistle M******S Regiment"..... Result!!(y)
Tea Bag.."You only live twice..." HOW I WISH!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Really sorry for this as it's too late. The mechanic who works on my taxi swears by cola to loosen anything tight on the car. Even pours it on diesel injectors the night before removing them.
afraid your username says it all.
Once again genuinely sorry.
John

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Really sorry for this as it's too late. The mechanic who works on my taxi swears by cola to loosen anything tight on the car. Even pours it on diesel injectors the night before removing them.
afraid your username says it all.
Once again genuinely sorry.
John
Thanks for the info, but as it was I needed to strip the whole thing down anyway to sort out the hinges which were about to seize :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back