Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
I am a newbie, we have just been to Abersoch, for a couple of days, but found the site a bit isolated
although, beautiful.( a mile to town/pubs was too far for us unfit pensioners)
What I am finding very, difficult is to find that site that suits
us, I thought I had researched this place well enough ?

I have joined CCC and looked through the site guide, checked all
the symbols as to what we wanted, even did a google map search of
the area, but the place was not suitable, for us.

Can anyone recommend a method of finding that ideal site ?

We like coastal, places, with a pub/restaurant nearby ?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Firebird. Have a look at Britstops which tends to use loads of pubs etc where you can stay. Also I like using CLs (caravan club small sites) do a lot of google before you go, there really are so many places that you can stay without being too far from the action,

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I am a newbie, we have just been to Abersoch, for a couple of days, but found the site a bit isolated
although, beautiful.( a mile to town/pubs was too far for us unfit pensioners)
What I am finding very, difficult is to find that site that suits
us, I thought I had researched this place well enough ?

I have joined CCC and looked through the site guide, checked all
the symbols as to what we wanted, even did a google map search of
the area, but the place was not suitable, for us.

Can anyone recommend a method of finding that ideal site ?

We like coastal, places, with a pub/restaurant nearby ?
Hi Firebird123 and welcome :)

Register with this site and use their search engine. It's an extremely good and useful site and allows you to search for places in a number of ways. I especially like the map search whereby you simply set in a few parameters and tap the map and all the sites available will come up. You can then simply click on each one in turn and a full list will come up and give you all the info you require, including all the feedback from previous camp site visitors :)

Give it a go, as you've nothing to lose in trying it :)

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/calcdist.asp?md=10&l=51.3683716719935&lg=-0.8922206747411435

image.jpg

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Welcome on board

As above, we find a nice sounding site, check it out on google earth and then look for reviews. Beware, bad reviews have a habit of disappearing from some well known site guides, but you can read between the lines of other reviews and obtain a good idea of what it is like.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
on the other hand, dont forget to make notes of the sites you do like, cos there is nothing worse than trying to remember "that place we went to 2 years ago" but cant even remember what county it was in let alone what town!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The best way I find is once you pick an area or campsite check pubs/food with post code then look at location on google earth it give a great idea how the land pans out!

Captain

(y)(y)(y) Very sound advice. Also, we look at supermarkets in the area, go onto Google Earth with the postcode(s), and then go street scene. That way you can check out any car park barriers before you decide to travel.

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
As your already a c&cc member you have a huge choice of Certified Sites to choose from all over the country( much the same set up as CC Cl's).
Good advice re google earth,also, the c&cc site finder is full of info re local amenities etc.
We also use Britstops & have found it very usefull this year. Well worth the ÂŁ25.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Get Jims log book thingy, on here somewhere but can't find it now, then when you find a good site stick it in the book and you can find it again. If you want a place to stop thats near to town, go to France :roflmto:

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
its uk campsites for us

we like the smaller sites 5 vans or so but saying that weve found one thats less than an hour away & we love it in the middle of essex just off the beaten track & dead quiet @ night with no street lights, you would honestly think you were miles away if it weren't for the occasional car.
I intend to dig out my ol Telescope for our next visit there (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Get yourselves a couple of push bikes to get around on, cant beat them for shopping and sightseeing. BUSBY;)

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Get yourselves a couple of push bikes to get around on, cant beat them for shopping and sightseeing. BUSBY;)

Im toying with this idea or a moped, currently I bring a Kayak but often find a lack of water on the roads :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Im toying with this idea or a moped, currently I bring a Kayak but often find a lack of water on the roads :roflmto:

Not this weekend...BUSBY:)

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not far for where we live. I think that Assington farm shop now has a CS. Try to keep out of the farm shop, though - too many nice things (and a small garden centre.....)
& expensive, we generally buy one or two items like some sweets or a bottle of booze but thats it as it is not soley produced on site so has extra cost & the same can be bought @ the supermarkets.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh, yes. We use it for something forgotten (live about a mile away) but there are home interesting things there. Used to have some brilliant local bacon. If you are in the area try Lower dairy farm for beef, but it is pot luck what is available - depends on when buttercup makes her final journey...........

Edit - corrected farm name. In Nayland on the road to Little Horkesley

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We seem to come at things a different way, find a area we want to go to have a look around then find somewhere to stay, love to have our bikes on the back for that extra freedom.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back