It is Humming! (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Currently on a site in Portugal; warm in the day, cold at night. Just been to take on fresh water and dump grey waste. The smell of the grey waste was pretty bad. We are very careful about what goes down the sink and have been using the site facilities not those in the van. We have not had this problem before and I would appreciate advice on how to deal with it.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Perhaps getting smelly as not used and emptied as often as you usually do. Our motorhome instructions say not to use bleach, but have been known to use it with a lot of water to dilute. Cheap cola works too, especially if you will be on the move.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we get exactly the same when not used as much, after a few days away and back to 2 daily emptying normally all OK, but we do often put a splash of our Bio liquid down the sink, we use Aldi scented liquids in loo and for grey if needed :)(y)

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Put plugs in the plugholes and a wet flannel over the shower waste.
Won't clear the smell but will keep it contained.

Each drain hole has a trap so we have no internal smells unless a trap dries out.

I'm inclined to agree that lack of use could be the problem.

Not sure about using bleach but may give it a try if things get worst.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Each drain hole has a trap so we have no internal smells unless a trap dries out.

I'm inclined to agree that lack of use could be the problem.

Not sure about using bleach but may give it a try if things get worst.
If no internal smells surely there's no problem? Grey water generally smells of rotting cabbage - why would that matter?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I try and make a point of using good quality antibacterial washing up liquid in the van this seems to help.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We use liquid soap for hand washing and have discovered some are the cause of this problem.

As said above, I use a little bleach to cure the problem but there seems to be a reaction against this from some posters in this thread ... can anyone please explain why using bleach is wrong and what damage it could cause.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
We are also in Portugal,and have noticed the same as the OP however we are using internal facilities , usually emptying daily. Just thought it was the softer water. Have noticed the kettle seems to be furring up very quickly,so started buying bottled water which cleared it and tastes better

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
One very hot summer, years ago, I was throwing most of the sink water out onto my garden (this was when we lived in a house) the sink started smelling-in the house-it was because not enough water was going down the sink and the trap was dry.
I think, as others have already said, you need to use the facilities in the van more and empty grey at least every other day.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A biological washing powder tablet washed down one of your plug holes per day will keep your pipes clear and your waste tank sweet.

We also use one for cleaning the toilet bowl daily as it removes limescale and leaves the bowl shiny clean

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We also use bleach.

On our last morning we drain the grey waste then run about 10-20 litres of fresh water into the tank together with some bleach. It “swishes around” on our way home where we drain it.

Doing this at the end of each long trip seems to keep things sweet.

As the bleach doesn’t go through the water heater, only through the plastic waste pipes and into the plastic grey water tanks I can’t see any problem. We certainly haven’t had any problems with it in over twenty years.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Not always practical but I do make a point of flushing the grey water tank every now and then with fresh water.
I use a hose pipe and put directly into the plug hole so as to create a little agitation, I then fill the grey tank and let it go. Care obviously has to be taken.;)

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just had a conversation with a fellow camper. Turns out he is a micro biologists. He advice was simple and hopefully I can repeat here without error. Putting any form for antibacterial wash and / or bleach into the tank is counter productive. The natural enzymes (bugs) get destroyed and the soup begins to pong. Left alone the bugs will keep the tank clean naturally. His advice was use soap for washing and no antibacterial this and that, also try to fill and drain the tank more frequently. I will give it all a try.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!