Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Several months ago I had a few times the co alarms went off for no apparent reasons.. The van was parked in the garden and on a hook up to charge the batteries up. I have three leisure batteries and if it is not being used for a time I will couple it up to the mains. During the night I heard one of the two alarms bleeping it's head off, so I had to get up and open the van to remove the batteries from the alarms. Why does it do it, the alarms will sense hydrogen and that is why they are going off. When it first did it Icoupled all the leisure batteries together with a breather pipe to ven all the produced gases to the outside so there should be no way it comes into the living area itself. This time only the high level alarm went off so it was a light gas???? Ie hydrogen. The main vehicle is in a sealed box under the floor and covered and sealed from the cab. I do not know where to look for a source as the vent tube is only external. Has anybody else had this trouble? The alarms are good make and last time they were both singing away the high and the low one. This time only the higher one went off. Annoys me a bit as it always seems about 3 am the it happens and the neighbour will get the annoyance of it as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could be the batteries are low in the alarm they will tend to go off in the middle of the night as the battery will have less power at low temperatures.
Normally when they go off for no apparent reason in a Motorhome it's often battery gassing that causes it. Assuming the alarm isn't faulty.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is almost certainly gassing from the charge but how does it get inside the van to set them off, The batteries are all coupled with the breather to the outside. UNLESS they have breather hole in either end and I never noticed them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Check them again. Batteries have a breather hole at each end so they can be fitted a particular way round regardless of obstacles.... But they generally have at least one plastic bung from new.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The batteries shouldn't be gassing. Do you have a monitor which shows the battery voltage? If you do, or can rig up a volt meter, it might show a high voltage and indicate a faulty charger. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back