It has been a great Christmas Day but..... (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
For the first time ever, my wife and I spent Christmas Day alone, being in Tier 4. Well not quite alone, for we have seen most of the family via internet and watched some present opening which meant less travelling, less cooking stress and a wife who's stress level rises every year when trying to please everyone with food and all that goes with the day.
Is this the beginning of people staying in their own little bubbles, an extension of working from home, the break-up of the family gatherings?

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
We did exactly the same thing here, first time ever just the two of us. Zooming this morning and watching each other open presents, followed by a stress free dinner. I don’t think this will be the norm in future though. Already, people are planning a big get together sometime next year when safe to do so, to make up for their low key Christmas.

My son lives in Devon, his partners mother lives alone in Kent. Because of a last minute lockdown, her mother had to stay in Kent, so presents were posted off to her, but unfortunately they didn’t arrive in time for Christmas. Left on her own, no presents, although someone did provide her with Christmas dinner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Just the two of us at home. Some of our grandkids came to see us from outside the window, our daughter in law works on the Covid ward so no taking any chances. Gills cousin set up a quiz night via the iPad for six families so a good time we had. See what happens on Boxing Day, curried Turkey maybe.
So not so bad after all.
Phil

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a multi generational household , six of us plus two dogs so a good day but tinged with sadness as our son and his wife and our eldest grandson for COVID risk reasons stayed away.
The families of my other two sisters and brother also cancelled Christmas Day meets for safety.
Sad but necessary.

🍾🍾🍾🍾Merry Christmas all 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just the two of us and the dog everyone else unable/too sensible to come. I think it could go either way let will like it this way or miss getting together so much they appreciate it more. I think we will be seeing more of family and friends after than we did before.

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Just us 2 - fabulous stress free dinner, surprise visit from daughter, partner and mini-suasage dog [not bacon wrapped], and zoomage to others. Here's to the future - stay safe all and be well :xThumb:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thought we were going to get it easy as we were going to our daughter's. No such luck yesterday ended up spending half the day cooking mince pies & curry puffs.

Then today "Dad can you cook the turkey & the beef". After the turkey had been in for a while found I couldn't get the beef in the oven so had to take it down to daughter's for her to cook.
Was a bit worried about her cooking it but it came out perfect nice & rare with blood running out. :giggle:

At least we didn't have to panic about cooking all the dinner so not a bad day in the end.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
An easy Christmas Day for me as I only had to cook for mum and myself, but that is the norm.
I do wonder how many families get together at this time of the year because it is ‘expected’.! I have a friend who has had a great Xmas because her elderly mother and bachelor brother weren’t joining them - all they did was complain about things!!
Sometimes I think we should just give offspring the chance to ‘do their own thing’ and if that includes just staying at home with the kids so be it.
I’m sure most Funster families love getting together for big family gatherings but it isn’t for everyone.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Strange to be at Home and not in our Highland hideaway.

Face-timed family which was new (no internet at the cottage) got some great presents and a Kit-Kat selection box which will go to someone’s kids.

Spent last night on Otter patrol, not seen one here yet but several fish taken in the village ponds since the Nene flooded.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Update. We had a large box of Ferrero Rocher Choc’s bought for us. But with no family or grandchildren present to help we ate them all. Kept awake with chocolate caffeine buzz half the night.
Naughty but nice.
Phil

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It's no change to quite a lot of people, they spend Christmas day alone anyway.

We were at Tan Hill in 2013 at Christmas staying in the van. I was in the pub Christmas lunchtime just me in there, a guy came in, lone cyclist, we got talking he was having a 30 mile bike ride he had sandwiches in his bag for Christmas dinner. Seemed very happy and content we were laughing and joking.

A woman in the village near us lives alone in her virtually derelict house doesn't want help from social services or anyone.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Strange to be at Home and not in our Highland hideaway.

Face-timed family which was new (no internet at the cottage) got some great presents and a Kit-Kat selection box which will go to someone’s kids.

Spent last night on Otter patrol, not seen one here yet but several fish taken in the village ponds since the Nene flooded.
Otter Spotter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nice stress free day for us, hubby for once took my advice and didn't go mad with food as he usually does everything from scratch/home made and also loads of it so we end up eating it for days!

This time he did cheat roasties, pre-prepared parsnips (reduced at Co-op the other day!) which he froze, frozen Yorkies. He made Paxo stuffing, pigs in blankets, cooked the turkey, doing the sprouts, carrots and spuds (for a bit of mash) in the pressure cooker. Whilst he had a snooze I stripped the turkey as it's easier when it's been freshly cooked and tidied up the pots - he usually puts stuff in individual bowls/dishes for us to help ourselves but instead served straight onto the plates and used foil containers/baking tins lined with foil which went in the bin so I just rinsed stuff off the plates etc afterwards leaving very little washing up which will be done today! So much easier and stress-free, hopefully he'll do it this way again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sometimes I think we should just give offspring the chance to ‘do their own thing’ and if that includes just staying at home with the kids so be it.
I agree, I know people like to get together but especially when younger kids are involved dragging them away from home and their presents which they want to play with to go elsewhere seems 'cruel' to me and certainly doesn't make for a 'happy' mood!

Better to have a get-together on Boxing day when there's not so much 'pressure' with a more relaxed 'buffet' type meal.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
First time in 49 years we haven't been having company or going to someone's home, so yes it was a ton less stressful but also less fun. Girls are already making plans for next Xmas and I have been told it's round ours.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My elder sister & bil always used to host Christmas, their house was the only one big enough to sleep all of us... last year she decided it was all too much for them.
I didn't realise that she began to stress about it in August!
Without the religious connotations, it makes much more sense to spread the visits around throughout the year, and not make a huge fuss over Christmas.

It's trite to say, but it's for the kids

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Morning Funsters, nice Christmas bubbled with Daughter and grandkids really good to not have to cook Liz (D) is great cook, had a long chat with teenage grandson who has been having a really hard time. I was really chuffed that he got himself a job and he has improved tremendously. His boss is asian and has been teaching him mindfulness and meditation which appears to have worked. Movan, shame you didn’t see any Otters, just be careful today and tomorrow with the storm coming through.
For all who spent Christmas on their own I hope you had a good time and were able to get some comfort from FaceTime/zoom or however you could speak to family and friends.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
When we recieved our first pay packet that wasn't already allocated, way back in the '90s, we decided to pay for Christmas dinner at a local "posh" pub.
Over the years it has grown to a few days away over Christmas to let other folk do the cooking.

Yesterday was the first Christmas day at home for about 30 years.

Next year? AWAY.

Phil

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
When we recieved our first pay packet that wasn't already allocated, way back in the '90s, we decided to pay for Christmas dinner at a local "posh" pub.
Over the years it has grown to a few days away over Christmas to let other folk do the cooking.

Yesterday was the first Christmas day at home for about 30 years.

Next year? AWAY.

Phil
:xlaugh:

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We got up at the crack of dawn yesterday morning and drove up to West Yorks. Stood in the back garden and spoke to my parents through patio windows. Daughter turned up with partner and we had a socially distanced chat on the patio. Swapped presents and back home to Basingstoke in time to cook christmas dinner. We are in Tier 4 as of today.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Lovely day at youngest daughters, there were 6 adults and a 2 year old and 10 month old. The sitting room where we ate is from front to back so we had the top ventilation windows open front and back. Unfortunately I woke up this morning with a runny nose and sore throat picked up from the 2 year old on Tuesday. It shows how easy a virus is spread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back