It’s cold outside - Motorhome in cold weather? (1 Viewer)

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Still searching for our first motorhome. Search narrowing nicely though. Looking mostly at A-class models now.

Our dream of jumping in the van and spending many long weekends away was shook by the cold weather this morning. Took the dog for a long walk, but heck… I forgot what it’s like to wake up to a cold and wet morning… and it’s not even winter yet!

It is actually viable to actually use a motorhome in winter in the U.K.? I understand that most A class models are more suitable for this than U.K. models, we’re looking at something in the area of a 2008-2010 Burstner… is there something I need to specifically have on my ‘must’ list? Double floors? Adle heating? Condensation problems? LPG costs or stick to EHUs?

This forum has already saved me greatly in my search of a motorhome, yor comments and thoughts are really appreciated.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
People take their Motorhome on skiing holidays ( admittedly knee high snow has some insulating properties😄) mainly A class but I have seen some self builds...
Insulating the windows with an external silver screen is IMO the best way to avoid heat loss, some vans are made to be more cold proof ( heating vents in underfloor where the waste tank is - heater in waste tank etc) mainly continental models - but someone else in MHF will have more advice. We have propane gas - never had problem with the heating or condensation .
It is lovely to wake up to a misty or frosty morning in the Moho. One issue might be unexpected sudden drop in temperature which opens valve on water tank so it empties. Inner is relatively small space to heat - we bought a teeny oil filled heater which we use on ehu if it is really cold as the gas heating makes a noise when going on n off , but have wild camped ( bravely!😂) for one or 2 nights in winter with just thick quilt gas heating and warm Jim jams .

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Good morning and good luck with your ongoing search. Of course it's viable using a moho in the UK in winter - you'll no doubt be bombarded with tales of people who park up in the Alps for the ski-ing season (I know, not UK but maybe a tad colder?) as an example of how, with adequate prep, you can 'survive' most conditions. You seem pretty well aware of all the main areas of concern - I would say that double floors are low on the priority list for the UK but adequate heating, ventilation and insulation (including of water supply infrastructure etc) is necessary. Then it's down to you and whether or not you mind the wet, cold mornings and if you can find places to overnight that are open (if you want facilties etc).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
It is actually viable to actually use a motorhome in winter in the U.K.?

Jim ran a thread on this a while back.....

Interesting reading.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
It really depends how you want to spend your time, on site with EHU is no problem, just use your heating on electric or get a small heater of some sort, we find a 500 watt convector heater keeps us fine and cosy. Best to make sure the warmth can get to your boiler to stop it dumping.

If you plan to be off grid then it depends on your available power, the gas heating set low is fine for us overnight and not too heavy on the battery. You will probably need to recharge your leisure battery by driving around or, if it's sunny, rely on solar charging.

We camp off grid all year round in northern Scotland, heavy duty duvet or sleeping bag and a fleece sleep suit keep us cosy.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Common problem is water freezing in uninsulated tanks.
keep a few containers of water inside van just in case.
leave waste water tap open and put a bucket underneath it.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Outside screens for the cab windows are essential. Also ensure the cab ventilation is set to re-circulation to stop draughts.
We have had several vans, both British and European. We found those with Combi boilers gave patch heating - one area too hot and others not hot enough Plus can be noisy if on overnight.

At the moment, we have a British van that has a gas/electric fire with optional blown air which suits us. It can be left on low over night and quickly warms up the van when turned up, especially using gas. Also useful when you stop for lunch.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
We have a very poorly insulated British built van . Never had a problem keeping it warm in the winter months . We nearly always have electric hook up so we just use an additional fan heater at the front of the motorhome if it gets really cold .

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We have the Burstner i800 as in my avatar pic.
Big improvement on my previous British built Autotrail.
This has double floor, Alde wet heating which is just like radiators at home. Fresh water tank is internal under a seat and waste tank between the heater floors. On the times we have used it in UK winters it's as snug as anything. Ref gas use, refillable gas system cuts the cost down and pays for itself. 2 batteries and 2 solar panels sort out the power.

The issue with a lot of British van is they fit underslung tanks, they insulate them but often there will be a weak spot in the pipework with a potential to freeze. People forget about the windchill blowing under the van and this can cause the freezing problems.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
People take their Motorhome on skiing holidays ( admittedly knee high snow has some insulating properties😄) mainly A class but I have seen some self builds...
Insulating the windows with an external silver screen is IMO the best way to avoid heat loss, some vans are made to be more cold proof ( heating vents in underfloor where the waste tank is - heater in waste tank etc) mainly continental models - but someone else in MHF will have more advice. We have propane gas - never had problem with the heating or condensation .
It is lovely to wake up to a misty or frosty morning in the Moho. One issue might be unexpected sudden drop in temperature which opens valve on water tank so it empties. Inner is relatively small space to heat - we bought a teeny oil filled heater which we use on ehu if it is really cold as the gas heating makes a noise when going on n off , but have wild camped ( bravely!😂) for one or 2 nights in winter with just thick quilt gas heating and warm Jim jams .
And 2 hot water bottles with thermostatic control [kick them out of the bed if it gets too hot and then when they turn cold ... Snuggle under the quilt and away you go! Also wear a jumper and plaid shirt in the Van, stops the onset of feeling cold!

Steve

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve got a Burstner of about the vintage you are considering.
Build quality and level of insulation is good, copes ok with UK winter temps. It has blown air heating which is more than up to the job.
Things to look for -
Onboard water tank (usually under the Hab area seat)
Heated waste tank (if not then leave the tap open - as above comments)
External windscreen cover (loads of places sell them)
Fan heater or convection heater (if anywhere near an EHU)
Decent high-tog duvets and Jim-Jams
Optional -
Extra strong mints
A sense of humour (this applies to all seasons)
Happy travels

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We’ve got a Burstner of about the vintage you are considering.
Build quality and level of insulation is good, copes ok with UK winter temps. It has blown air heating which is more than up to the job.
Things to look for -
Onboard water tank (usually under the Hab area seat)
Heated waste tank (if not then leave the tap open - as above comments)
External windscreen cover (loads of places sell them)
Fan heater or convection heater (if anywhere near an EHU)
Decent high-tog duvets and Jim-Jams
Optional -
Extra strong mints
A sense of humour (this applies to all seasons)
Happy travels
Our 'long version' external cover that covers the scuttle area [so should stop the leaves clogging the drainage holes!] should arrive from Taylormade Covers tomorrow. £175 incl postage. Should complement the Taylormade Bike Cover on the rear end ... Just need a Taylormade Nosebag for eating on the move [with 'Hercules' embroidered on the side] and that's a full house! (y) :giggle:

Steve

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Just need a Taylormade Nosebag for eating on the move [with 'Hercules' embroidered on the side] and that's a full house!
And one of those water bottles like they fit into Budgie cages then you’re good to go
(don’t forget the OP can see this - we might be taken for serious….)

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
And one of those water bottles like they fit into Budgie cages then you’re good to go
(don’t forget the OP can see this - we might be taken for serious….)
I've never been taken seriously, but I suppose there's always a first time ... (y) :LOL:

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Thanks everyone! You’ve given us confidence that we should still continue our search over Autumn and hopefully we’ll get out there come rain or shine.

Can’t believe it’s so hard to find the right van though. I’m sure without this forum we’d have made a mistake by now, wit’s a very steep learning curve and we’re still climbing…

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I live in Northumberland and use the van all winter we regularly wild in Scotland no problems our previous two vans were Autotrails and used them in sub zero temps with no issues. Present van is an A-class Hymer which takes winter weather in its stride with no issues whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2020
Scotland Central
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
Since 2014
HI Tony,
We have a 2004 Pilote Galaxy 270 ( A FOUR SEASON VAN ) alko double floor and we find it fantastic to look out onto knee deep snow from inside out toasty warm van.

Water tanks - 160 lt. clean and 110 lt. waste water - are inside the double floor and are also subject to controlled heating from Thule blown air system.

We do try where possible to get electric to save on gas, but have no requirement for additional supplementary heaters.

Travel well and travel safely.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
F709E113-9116-4EE3-8652-F2F6A2298313.jpeg

Constant 21'c inside. No condensation.
yes we camp all year round. And ski 5 weeks per season (when possible)
prefer the quiet off season sites and the joy of winter walks returning to cosy truck.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back