Isolating Leisure Batteries for Long Term Storage (1 Viewer)

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our Adria sits in secure offsite storage with no EHU for many weeks between runs and it will be that way for until next year, unfortunately.

The master control panel supposedly turns off all electrical demands on the leisure batteries but I wonder if I should be physically disconnecting them as well?

If that's the case, rather than mess with the terminals, would it be OK to fit battery isolation switches on the pos & neg cables to achieve the same effect?

Thanks in advance. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You should not need to isolate them but if you choose to do so one isolation switch on the +ve lead to the MH electrics is enough. However if "many weeks" = more than 6 your batteries will have a very short life. A much better option if they are left longer than a month is to bring them away with you & connect them to a modern trickle charger.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a quick way to kill batteries is to leave them without maintenance charge for months on end. an isolator is only ok for short terms,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Makes sense, thank you both.

I think I might be investing in some quick release terminal clamps, or perhaps bring the girl out of storage more frequently for some time on EHU at home.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why not just pull out the fuse or 2 mins with a spanner and the terminals are off completely.. Cant see any point in spending time and money doing a longer job for something you plan to do just now and again..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Why not just pull out the fuse or 2 mins with a spanner and the terminals are off completely.. Cant see any point in spending time and money doing a longer job for something you plan to do just now and again..

It might depend where the batteries are located. I believe some are well hidden under seats and floors etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It might depend where the batteries are located. I believe some are well hidden under seats and floors etc.

Yes,.. agree on that. Just thought as the OP was talking about fitting quick release terminals he is doing half the job to start with.. :)
And not going back to it till 2015 it's not a great hardship...
Sure a solution will be found.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back