Isle of Wight (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Thinking of going there early September. Any recommendations for campsite, any not to be missed places?
What is driving around like? Or should I consider hiring a car for part of the time? (Van is 6-5m A class)
Without rushing what sort of timeframe would be needed to have a good look round.
Thanks in advance

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Whitefield forest touring park , really nice site walking distance to Tesco about half a mile , bus stop right outside the lane to the site 100yds, In my opinion one of the best on the island , situated between Ryde and Sandown
I used to live on the island .if you want to go book through the individual site as they can get ferry bookings at reduced rates so included in price.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
We are going in July, went last year as well. No problem driving although parking not always easy, we are 7.1m. Taking a scooter in the garage this time.

If you go more than 5miles without finding something interesting to see/visit then you are probably not on the Isle of Wight

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Osbourne House would be a must for me. The Isle of Wight us a bit run down in places. We stayed at Heathfield, Waverley Park, Ninham and Alverstone Ponds sites over a 2 week period, this allowed walking or cycling from each site to places of interest. We will go back in a year or so. All the sites were fine with no issues but I am easily pleased

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The Isle of Wight us a bit run down in places.
I went there last July for a week and found it rather tatty too, mostly the sea front places with the exception p'raps of Yarmouth and Cowes.
Osborne House was interesting as was Carisbrooke castle. The Ventnor botanic gardens were worth a visit in just-passing-time sort of way.
Sandown Esplanade and Shanklin sea fronts were were dismal; closed and rust stained hotels, scaffolding and overrun gardens and we were put off buying any food from the grubby shops/kiosks.
Sorry, but that what all 3 of us thought.

Edit - just remembered.
We had some excellent seafood meals in pubs but one of our group was a veggie and how we laughed at a blackboard outside one pub:

Local seafood.

Daily specials.

Extensive wine list.

Cask real ales.

Dog friendly.
Vegetarians welcome.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I flew into Sandown last week for a day trip and walked into town, I wouldn’t have said it was tatty
Perhaps slightly run down but lots of work being done as far as I could see,
On the sea front we had one of the best fish and chips we have had in a long time sitting in the sun,
SWMBO loved it so improving the number of brownies points I have so a result, :clap: as far as I’m concerned,

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
I usually stay at waverley, about 600 yards from east cowes ferry point. Fantastic views over the solent, in particuliar when the shipsturn to port to head up the channel. Waitrose and bus stops 5minutes walk from the site. I use my bus pass get to newport the just catch the bus whereever. Osborne house about 15 to 20 minute walk from the site with a pub opposite. Parts look tatty, but sandown has a new premier inn which will be good for that part of the island. Lived there for 3 years. Roads generally fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
The island has a good choice of 5 van sites to choose from, plenty of good pub stopovers and a number of larger sites. So depending on your preferences, the world's your lobster 😊. As for driving around, the Military Road is a must to drive along, there are some nice parkups to stop and admire the view. We have a fair amount of narrow lanes, so think Devon or Cornwall and you'll be fine😊. As for timeframe to have a good look around, the island may be small but there's plenty to explore. We've been here 30 years and still find bits we've missed 😊. Feel free to PM if you need anything while you're here. Enjoy your holiday.

Oct 31, 2018
Redruth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Peg 590
Exp
since 2009
Four of us with two dogs going to Appuldurcombe site in early Sept for 10 days. £340 including ferry. We went there years ago and it is a nice camp. Book through the camp first to get the cheaper ferry. We have a 7.5m A class.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Another vote for Appuldurcombe. Good location and nice walk into Godshill from the site.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Ferry companies do insist you get out of the vehicle during the crossing because of the Maritime law on hazardous cargo - this includes gas in a plumbers van for instance.
If you are in the lounges, the snack and coffee bars are closed and you are not allowed to consume own food and drink on board. masks must be worn once out of the vehicle and in all lifts, stairs and lounges. On top deck in the "fresh" air, it is allowed to unmask and there is a coffee kiosk.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
When I was little and we used to go to Lake for a fortnight - was Godshill the place with the Model Village?

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
When I was little and we used to go to Lake for a fortnight - was Godshill the place with the Model Village?
It still is the place with the model village, we took the kids to see it last year, always worth a stroll around followed by a cream tea.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
If you can afford it, hire a car. You'll see much more, have relatively stress free parking and help the people who actually live and work on the island to get around. That said, the bus service is pretty good with nearly all services passing through Newport at some stage of their route. Top deck from seat recommended if you like roller coasters. The toy train across the island isn't running at the moment but if it is by September, that's another alternative mode of transport and an interesting ride as well.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Isle of Wight Postcard c. 1960:

Cowes you can't milk
Ryde where you walk
Needles you can't thread
Freshwater you can't drink
Lake you can't swim in
Blackwater that's clear

Steve

Sep 3, 2017
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E625
Exp
MH since 2016, caravanning since 1984
Two sites on the Military Road, Chine Farm Caravan Site at Atherfield Bay and Grange Farm at Brighstone, both sites right on the cliff top overlooking the English Channel. Very windy but superb sunsets.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
We have used the bus to visit the islands sites and this worked out very well. We had a ferry from Southampton and the fog was so bad we could not see either of the shores at all during the crossing. We used the special offer of Ferry and Campsite that was available in the spring, as the cost of the ferry can be high. The return trip was very good with bright sunshine.

OP
OP
teddybear
Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, have booked site and ferry deal.we are stopping a day longer than planned as no ferry available for our planned departure date. But not a problem.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
There now traffic is bad too many road works and diversions also Sandown Ryde Shanklin are all run down towns which is a shame as we were last here twenty years ago and they were much better .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back