Isle of Wight ferry from Southampton (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Warning to any funsters using ferry , if arriving early don't be tempted to park on town quay( next to ferry terminal ) for a brew and thinking staying in vehicle and not paying , there are cameras that take plate no on entry and if ( after I think 15 mins ) the payment machines don't get the plate no on there ticket / system the private company will send reg keeper a pcn . Mayflower park ,the other side of the terminal , council run , you can get away with free parking . Just watch for the wardens and move on .

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Never had a problem but always pay to park if arriving early!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Been like this for i think a couple of years now, the signs are really small and hard to see. We got caught out just after they changed it as we always used to drop off the kids (they still live on the iow) and park at the end waiting for red jet to come in then go. I got caught picking them up and my wife dropping them off, i wouldnt take a motorhome there though as at the end there are height barriers anyway and not a lot of room with all the cars/taxis/buses constantly going back and forth. The limit is indeed 15mins or paybyphone app with location code 9593 :) Alternatively you can drive into redfunnel ferry car park and just tell them you are picking up which is what we do when we take the motorhome to get them. they allow free parking. No good if going over though :(

Last edited:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
or go from Lymington, nicer all round
We used to always go this way until they got the new bigger ship and then all the residents started complaining so they were restricted to how fast they could drive it in and out of the harbour. Not sure if it is still the same as we now usually go Portsmouth - Fishborne in the car (motorhome too damn expensive for a day crossing to visits the folks/kids even with multilink passes.)

OP
OP
T
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Good info above , yes that's right the ferries are extremely limited to 'knots.' coming up the lymo river . The locals being 'rich and famous ?'carry a lot of weight that part off the world my god when Poundland / and Argos before them ,opened in lymington it hit the local paper when the so call locals thought it brought down the tone of the area !!!! Same up the road in beaulieu horrible part of the world ( feudal)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello everyone,

I have to say Dawn and I do have to work very hard at being Funsters....

Last week someone on this forum, I never name names, described our motorhome as "deserving a place on the ugliest motorhomes hall of fame. It looks like the love child of an Ambulance and the Back to the Future car".

This week someone on this forum, I never name names, feels the need to berate us and our home town of Lymington.

We are really looking forward to reading next week's forum...

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back