Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
Hi All,
We're going up to the Isle of Skye at Easter,booked a couple of nights at Kinloch campsite, then just gonna wing it for a few nights.
Anyone know of some good/nice places to stay? maybe near a pub . Also has anyone stayed at the big car park at portree ?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Kev

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just go, there are lots of places to overnight on Skye, all for free. Just fill up with gas and diesel, there is a large garage a few miles into Skye that sells both, have an empty cassette and plenty of water. Just enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We were there last September. Battered by tail end of Atlantic storm for 3 days. I'm sure it's really nice but we saw bugger all.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
  • Top up your diesel and lpg at Broadford Co-op - it's cheaper than on the mainland. The other lpg is at Uig.
  • Kinloch is in a lovely location but as it's on the lochside you need to have Smidge midgie repellent, though you're probably going to be in advance of the little blighters.
  • Bayfield carpark in Portree is a great village stopover. There's a section just for motorhomes (but don't expect cars NOT to have parked there during the day!) The sign that says 'no overnighting' isn't intended for the motorhome section, even though it looks as though it is - it means the main car section. Again make sure you have Smidge on board! (Just in case.) There aren't any facilities except picnic benches overlooking the bay. Loos are up on the main street. Plenty of eateries; The Granary does a lovely lunch.
  • Sligachan campsite is again a cracking location and has a pub attached.
  • There's a fairly new community-owned campsite just outside Broadford called Camping Skye - I haven't been but it's said to be one of the best locations.
  • Edinbane campsite (Camping and Caravanning Club) allows 2-hour motorhome servicing stops for about £7 to empty waste & fill water, use showers, laundry (at usual cost) - you'll need to book and I think you have to be a member.
  • Beware of many foreign tourists driving on the WRONG side of the road.
  • Watch out for major potholes!
  • Make sure you know how to use single-track roads and passing places
  • There are so many gorgeous places for off-site camping you'll be spoilt for choice. Winging it is good!
  • Enjoy!!! :smiley:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The car park at Portree is fab so long as you stick to the middle part.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks for all the tips & advice CWH we're really looking forward to going.just hope the weather is kind to us.
:thanks3:
We've had so much rain the last few months I don't think there'll be any left by Easter!

But as long as you're prepared for all weathers you'll have a great time (y)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I found this great looking campsite, read the reviews, all good until I saw the pitch prices, then an option for a 24 hour fishing license for £24 !!!!!
First time I have ever seen a fishing permit required to fish in the sea!:eek::mad:
Wont be going there then!
Les

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
just been looking on google maps, the price of diesel at Broadford co-op is £1.48,if that's correct i think i'll filing up on the mainland :swear2:
Normal for Skye and far to reach places up north, you have to build in the cost of transporting the fuel to these far flung places though, it can't be cheap.
When we did the NC500 last spring, if we saw a fuel pump anywhere, and we were below half a tank, we felt we had to bite the bullet and refuel to the brim. I know the other MH guy behind me felt the same.
The garage at Broadford was the nearest place for us to get LPG, we even crossed the bridge from the mainland to get some. We didn't do Skye that time as it looked by the number of hired mH's coming over the bridge that it was probably stacked out already.
Plus I am not sure if LPG is still available now, heard a rumour the pump has been removed in favour of charging points for hybrids, really hope that's not the case though, I dont trust The LPG Apps too much unless I see a realy recent review.
LES

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We tour in the Highlands and Islands every year and have seen many shops and service stations disappear over the last 40 years. Hence, our attitude is use it or lose it, we always buy locally taking very little with us and make a point of filling up. hopefully the places will still be open next year.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
just been looking on google maps, the price of diesel at Broadford co-op is £1.48,if that's correct i think i'll filing up on the mainland :swear2:
129.9 at Broadford Coop today
Normal for Skye and far to reach places up north, you have to build in the cost of transporting the fuel to these far flung places though, it can't be cheap.
Skye has a 5p per litre discount for exactly the reason you state. People drive over from the mainland because it's so much cheaper than Kyle which is 143.9

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Don’t park in the coach spaces near the Tourist info office.

I was told they will ticket you.

Close to Danny MacKaskill museum is a toilet block and you can use the outside tap for water.

If you do the fairy pools there is a car park just before you drop down the hill.
Park there as you will struggle on the car park further down.

This is at Glenbrittle.

Beware of foreign drivers cutting in front of you into passing places ?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Don’t park in the coach spaces near the Tourist info office.
I was told they will ticket you.
This is Bayfield in Portree. They may indeed. More likely though is that coaches will block you in (well, I've seen it done to cars anyway).
There are motorhome-specific spaces. Every space has a sign saying which type of vehicle should use it. This car park is free.
Close to Danny MacKaskill museum is a toilet block and you can use the outside tap for water.
That sounds like the Giant Angus Macaskill museum in Dunvegan, close to where kevntrace have their couple of nights booked.
The community has an arrangement with the Kinloch campsite for black waste disposal at the site (for a small fee) to try to stop people dumping in the toilets ... so to speak!!!
If you do the fairy pools there is a car park just before you drop down the hill.
Park there as you will struggle on the car park further down.
This is at Glenbrittle.
There are new parking facilities at Fairy Pools, Old Man of Storr etc, and more planned at other hot-spots. These have been provided by the local communities so please anyone, no complaints about cost! - these are NOT publicly-funded!
Beware of foreign drivers cutting in front of you into passing places ?
Haha - not just foreigners - unless you count the English as foreign :winky: Whichever side of the road the passing place is, drivers should stick to the left. Silver-Fox is absolutely right - so often people dive into the passing place, trying to be helpful. It's astonishing how many people can't reverse. Even worse though is when (usually foreign) tourists come off a single track road and start to drive on the right-hand side of the road - horrendous in the dark!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back