May 23, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Competent, sometimes.
Hi everyone.

We are taking our motorhome to the Isle of Man TT in 2019, anyone know any good sites. The van is 7.75 metres long and does not need hookup. Hope someone can suggest somewhere near / in Douglas.

Thanks

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
You will struggle to find anywhere in Douglas as the main Nobles Park camp site is taken over by the teams and riders as it is behind the grandstand.

The nearest would be at Quarterbridge rugby pitch, or Glen Lough campsite Glen Vine.

There is one near Hillberry, (Glen Dhoo country cottages).

Laxey has a nice small campsite, Peel has a big one, Ballaugh has a big one (Ballamoar), Silly Moo's campsite is near Ramsey, St Johns rugby pitch, Glen Willyn campsite Kirk Michael, and there is camping at Sulby Claddaghs, which is government owned and requires a permit which costs £20 for the season.

Ramsey has a camping area opposite the sea, which requires a permit from Ramsey town hall for £20 for the season. There is fresh water and waste dumps but no electricity at Sulby or Ramsey.

'Wild camping' isn't frowned upon here.

Craig

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Peel campsite is fully booked for the 2019 TT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi everyone.

We are taking our motorhome to the Isle of Man TT in 2019, anyone know any good sites. The van is 7.75 metres long and does not need hookup. Hope someone can suggest somewhere near / in Douglas.

Thanks

Douglas I think will be a problem but definitely book somewhere ASAP. We take a small motor bike for getting around. I wold recommend Ramsey or Sulby Glen free parking spots. We prefer to travel through Liverpool on the fast Seacat but you may have a problem with size and a long overhang, it can be a bit torturous getting on at Liverpool. Staying over two weeks can make the crossing cheaper, but book now!!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Douglas I think will be a problem but definitely book somewhere ASAP. We take a small motor bike for getting around. I wold recommend Ramsey or Sulby Glen free parking spots. We prefer to travel through Liverpool on the fast Seacat but you may have a problem with size and a long overhang, it can be a bit torturous getting on at Liverpool. Staying over two weeks can make the crossing cheaper, but book now!!
I think the Seacat from Liverpool has a max length limit, but might be wrong
In any case TT week sailings I would think would be getting full NOW

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I think the maximum length is 6.5m. I will check.

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The restrictions are, 3.4m Height, length for single vehicle 8m, vehicle towing a trailer 12m, 2.5m width, 7.5 tons max weight. The sea cat can accommodate larger vehicle on the Heysham, Dublin, and Belfast routes, although the Belfast sailing is a maximum of 4 tons.
This is taken from their website.

Craig

OP
OP
Wools
May 23, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Competent, sometimes.
We have booked the Hysham ferry. Thanks all for the info on campsites.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We don't do poncy posh hotels on the Island. There are a few mediocre ones though.
I've done the shit ones on Douglas sea front a few times in me yoof and had a great time. But I just fancy doing it 5* for a change :)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi
Let me know if you find a poncy posh hotel on the Rock, I cant think of one TBH:D
Hi
Let me know if you find a poncy posh hotel on the Rock, I cant think of one TBH:D
Hang on hang on hang on. What about that concrete monstrosity currently being thrown up behind Marksies? Lovely views and all. :)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Cronk Dhoo is your best bet. It has all the facilities of a campsite and has hook up. You’re right on the course but it’s big enough to get a space away from the main road so will be slightly more peaceful at non race times. There also a bus stop right at the gate that will take you into Douglas if that’s where you really want to be. If a fifteen minute ride away.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Lived on the Island, for the first 4 years of my live, my Granmother had a B And B at the top of the hill in Douglass, my cousins told me years later that I was with them on an old wooden walk bridge that used to rock when bikers went underneath, also my father said I was taken in a side car around the circuit, driven by (Geff Duke) might be wrong spelling, not my good points.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hi
Many years ago we found a beauty, up a side road. Proper nice. I remember they had a huge grand piano and a long haired lad played Bat out of hell

Can't remember the name :(

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Hi. We've just returned from a 4 month stay in the isle of man. Apart from Sulby Claddachs and Ramsey which both need permits, we never used a campsite. Every where is very busy during TT period and prices of campsites are reflected by this.
Sulby has max 2 week stay. Ramsey is 3 nights. In the past motorhomes have been able to stay for longer in Ramsey during the race periods. However during the Manx Grand Prix this year, vans were only allowed to stay for 1 week max. If they overstayed an official warning was served stating '' that if they did not move the police would be called and the offenders would not be issued with a permit in future''. This may happen during next years TT period.
I will be interested to see how the planning application progresses for the sports complex in Ramsey.
We found the Isle of Man to be very motorhome friendly. However we always respected residents and parked carefully.
This was the second year we have spent the summer on the Island. We have got to know of many wild camping spots and very rarely woke in the morning without a sea view.
If you need any more info I'll help you all I can.
Frank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back