LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Thinking ahead a bit, post vax and as the UK hopefully eases up from lockdown. I was thinking of going north to the Isle of Lewis. All the current ferry and camping websites unhelpfully state "Not available ATM", but I'm trying to plan for May or June subject to availability. So do any funsters have any recommendations?

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
In my opinion I’d not look at Lewis as early as May, I suspect covid will be around later than that and I suspect the locals may not be favourable to your visit, then if you get there and things change you might be stuck out on a limb.

That said it’s a lovely place and I’d go there as soon as practicable and you’ll love it

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Lots of wilding places to choose from. Well worth island hopping and doing them all down to Barra.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Book a hopscotch ticket on Calmac ferries, no need to plan, we didn’t, just go when lockdown is over. However as previously stated, how welcome you would be is another matter entirely.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I doubt you'll be allowed over the border until late summer at the earliest tbh. Once everywhere is at the old tier 2 levels things will get better but that's a long way away yet.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Maybe I should have added " Provided it is legal and approved". To prevent the all knowing grand proclaimed from informing all that "you shouldn't go until you're allowed" .

But hey ho, they need to vent....

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We’re booked on a site in Northumberland early June. Hoping to head up to Scotland after that. We’re hoping to go over to Harris.
I do think this could be happening but the anti lockdown removal brigade will. Probably have a melt down if it is allowed.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
No need to be angry, the OP knows that. They clearly say when allowed and approved.

We would love to go back to Scotland as soon as we can and the Isles are on our list for sure.
Still be nice to think in terms of safe for residents of Lewis rather than 'legal and approved'..

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
There's a lockdown for a reason 😠
There is, and if it’s gone we’ll tour. That’s being positive. We could always like your self be negative and hope the lockdown is still in place. Hopefully there are more of us positive people that want to get the vaccine done and get rid of lockdown than there are you negative types.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Still be nice to think in terms of safe for residents of Lewis rather than 'legal and approved'..
So when would you recommend going. Next year? Ten years time? One hundred years time?
Oh you won’t answer I guess. You do realise that when lockdown is lifted that it won’t be compulsory to travel? You can stay locked down for the rest of your life if you want to.
The rest of us ( the more positive) will be guided by the professionals that make decisions based on scientific evidence.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
There is, and if it’s gone we’ll tour. That’s being positive. We could always like your self be negative and hope the lockdown is still in place. Hopefully there are more of us positive people that want to get the vaccine done and get rid of lockdown than there are you negative types.
I so hope your right and we can all get out by the summer, I can’t wait to get back to the Highlands and or Europe and better still Ireland.

But we’ll just need to wait and see

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
The simple fact is there’s no point in arguing about covid//restrictions things well or will not improve over time, we’ll just have to wait and see

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2004
I have relatives on Lewis, and trust me some are missing tourism .
Its a fine balance but once legal and allowed where is the problem? we get fun & relaxation they get $$$ the economy grows.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2004
I so hope your right and we can all get out by the summer, I can’t wait to get back to the Highlands and or Europe and better still Ireland.

But we’ll just need to wait and see
I feel the same. I just get this feeling they will keep us in lock down as much as economically possible (rightly) until after both bank holidays, so idiots dont all flock and mingle too close like last time.
Hol camps gradually allowed after may day ?? to keep us all away (safe)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thinking ahead a bit, post vax and as the UK hopefully eases up from lockdown. I was thinking of going north to the Isle of Lewis. All the current ferry and camping websites unhelpfully state "Not available ATM", but I'm trying to plan for May or June subject to availability. So do any funsters have any recommendations?
Firstly, most sites in the outer Hebrides were on a ‘first come first served basis’ but this isn’t an issue normally as the locals didn’t mind you wild camping as long as you didn’t block gateways and did not park up on the Macha. Currently They are tier 3 according to a local ‘Andrew ditton’. Check out his ‘ How to Hebrides’ on utube at present.
if you look at the Hebrides tourist website there is a usual map for sites and dump stations.
personally I think it will be July / August before we will be permitted past Gretna Green, but good luck, I am aiming now for Shetland mid August and will stay up there for a couple of months.

You will love Harris and Lewis, but try to go south if you have time, you will be amazed at how the scenery changes as you cross the various islands.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
It’s very difficult isn’t it to plan.

I have a trip in the UK booked in May in the motor home and a cruise abroad in July. The cruise is booked with a tiny deposit and the option to move if needed but I dared book the flights, extra hotel or excursions until much closer (and hope I can get what I want) as not convinced things will be back to normal by then. BUT if we don’t plan and but down deposits a lot of these firms, shops, tourist places will not survive.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2004
It’s very difficult isn’t it to plan.

I have a trip in the UK booked in May in the motor home and a cruise abroad in July. The cruise is booked with a tiny deposit and the option to move if needed but I dared book the flights, extra hotel or excursions until much closer (and hope I can get what I want) as not convinced things will be back to normal by then. BUT if we don’t plan and but down deposits a lot of these firms, shops, tourist places will not survive.
By all accounts many people are booking quite a way ahead and slots are becoming sparce. Id think about it if I was you so you dont miss out.
Maybe use a reputable credit car that will refund sooner if covid is the issue for cancellation.

Ive had refunds twice now both in 3 or 4 days from my cc card, one was Virgin atlantic who said expect almost 12 weeks one was Emirates who said 8 weeks.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
So when would you recommend going. Next year? Ten years time? One hundred years time?
Oh you won’t answer I guess. You do realise that when lockdown is lifted that it won’t be compulsory to travel? You can stay locked down for the rest of your life if you want to.
The rest of us ( the more positive) will be guided by the professionals that make decisions based on scientific evidence.
Post #5 has my thoughts on when it will be considered safe to travel.
Simply based on the very rough scientific guidance of other countries wanting 70% of the population vaccinated prior to any significant removal of restrictions. At the current rate this will be around September in the UK.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Post #5 has my thoughts on when it will be considered safe to travel.
Simply based on the very rough scientific guidance of other countries wanting 70% of the population vaccinated prior to any significant removal of restrictions. At the current rate this will be around September in the UK.
That’s your hope. My hope is for sooner. Like I said some are more positive than others.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Booked ferry to Orkney and site in Kirkwall for July, was meant the be going to France but cant see that happening so fingers crossed for up north !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back