DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You will certainly get on the ferry to Jura. When we were in Islay a few years ago (with a car, not MH) we saw a monster artic tanker crossing to and fro between Jura and Islay, carrying waste from Jura distillery. The distilleries on the two islands share a common disposal point on Islay which is just north of Port Askaig, near the Caol Ila distillery. I would have thought the most likely place for grounding the MH is getting on and off the Calmac ferry at Port Askaig - that ferry is higher than the Jura boat and the ramp is steep. You may need to ak them to adjust the ramp if it looks too much of an angle.

Great advice thanks, I was thinking of going in via Port Ellen and back out of Port Askaig, would you suggest sticking with Port Ellen for in and out?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Cannot comment I'm afraid as I did not see the ferry point at Port Ellen. We went in and out via Port Askaig and I think the port used depends on the day of sailing. I would have thought you should be OK whichever is used - just take it carefully and if you are concerned, ask Calmac for advice. I have found that some ferry crews will try and adjust the ramp departure angle if you look 'worried' at them.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Port Askaig was fine with The Rosabella, apart from a momentary grounding of the towbar (we're 5.5 meres). We returned to the mainland via Port Ellen - more of a 'proper' ferry port.

My opinion is that the east side of Kintyre is much better than the west, although the road isn't as good. If you're spending a bit of time on Kintyre its worth a visit to the memorial to the 1994 Chinook crash. It's overlooking the Mull (all together now.....) at 55.313231N, 5.794958W (whack that in to your Satnav or Google Maps), and there's a bit about it here.

As far as the west side is concerned, we found a nice little site near to Muasdale. It's just a field really, owned by the B&B over the road, more or less on the shore, but with a good shower block. We were able to watch on the rocks when we were there.

I agree also with the suggestion about the route back via Inverary and Arrochar. The Loch Lomond road has been improved no end since I was working up that way some years ago, when I also hated it for all the reasons you said David, and certainly the stretch from the Arrochar junction to Balloch is fine (good campsite at Balloch as well).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aandj

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic Campervan
Exp
Enjoy Mull and do what the locals do when they go shopping.
Go from Fort William, across the Corran ferry at the lighthouse, then down to Lochaline and across to Fishnish on Mull, its quicker and fraction of the cost with great views, if you want to return via Craignure to Oban then get a Hopscotch 6 ticket and save money as a package.
They are expensive but worth every penny for the views and quiet.
Otherwsie Skye is now free on the bridge or Mallaig ferry not bad, cheaper than fuel for the 90 mile detour round to the bridge? and quicker!
A&J

aandj

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic Campervan
Exp
But then i guess thats why the scottish islands are the way they are? if you are prepared to put the extra mileage in and ferry costs you will be rewarded with places unlike anything anywhere else in the uk?
Am surrounded by people here who never venture further than the Lake district... in summer and bank holiday???
Good i say! You all go there to that lunatic asylum, get ripped off, packed out with no parking and millions of townies and tourists!
We jump on the M6 and drive for at least 6 hours before stopping!
The real scotland doesn`t start till you get on the A9 or A82!
:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have been delayed by 24 hours, leave tomorrow about 17:00, overnight at The Waggoners just north of Newcastle

Looking at weather forecast the delay might have been well timed

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So Day 1, technically day 2, we were late leaving because our holiday let arrivals thought a Friday changeover could mean Saturday!! Then took till 5 to get to ours, grrrr, need a different access option I think

Anyway, set off in mixed sun / showers, heading for our pub stop over Waggon Inn just above Ponteland, they have only gone and closed and not told us, (excuse me)

So quick shop at local supermarket, trundles off to Carter Bar in fast darkening night skies, thought we keep going to Jedburgh, free parking free toilets, free wifi, but bit too far in dark and rain

So Carter Bar it was for night one, sloping parking, stove would not light, nor would fridge, quick tea and beer, off to bed

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Now on Islay, had a lovely drive down Kintyre, started with shopping in Inverary, not a lot going for the town, but friendly place

Camp site south of Inverary huge site, £20 ? value, separate area for tourers, not bad, we seemed to struggle for places we could have stopped at for free. but happy to pay for a site, but would not go back here too big for us

Different story on Islay, trying to post photos but struggling with internet, a lovely place so far, maybe no internet is not much of a price to pay

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oh and we bumped into another pair of funsters, trouble is can't remember who, Jezz and Lynn rings a bell though, from Scrborough, daughter in Dunblane, remember all the bits I don't need, but nice to have a rare not arranged 'meet'

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Glad you have got there, we are at girvan near Ayr at the harbour, lovely sun set. Making our way up towards glasgow to visit friends for a few days. Then heading to the fringe and tattoo at edinburgh. After that all being well, we will head for someof the islands.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Had a fabulous sunset here too, will try and post photos when I can

You will love the fringe, very envious, not been since 2008 (pre Lola)

Will be on Arran when you are in Glasgow, we will wave x

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
022.JPG
022.JPG
A fabulous location in the RSPB car park on the Oa (pronounced Oh) peninsula on Islay

Had a great walk, Bev did another Geocache

Moving to a site in Port Charlotte today

Quick update on getting over here

We turned up at Kennacraig ferry terminal, a much larger affair than expected a positive mini Dover compared to many up here, we had not booked so were sent into the appropriate lane and sent to office, he took our name and when I entered I was greeted by name, nice touch (maybe not so much like Dover)

They asked our length which is 8m (actually 7.99), a young man was despatched to measure the 'real' length, bit odd that, but 8m is a break point in the charges. Anyway 5 minutes later he came in with 7.8m, no cheaper but no borderline issues either
022.JPG
022.JPG

So we were then sold literally the last space on the boat and set sail in glorious sunshine and flat calm seas

Drove off ferry and went to see the square lighthouse hopefully in photo below, then moved on to stop for night and had the stunning sunset again hopefully as below

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Day 3 on Islay, day 5 of trip, Islay has some great distilleries, I did not realise they have a speciality gin as well, that is lovely 'The Botanist' made in Bruichladdich, will definitely be bringing some of that home

Islay is a slight disappointment, we think we have spoilt ourselves with the Outer Hebrides, we like nature, big beaches and mountains, Islay is a bit too agricultural

But its nice to be away, not sure there is enough benefit in the ferry cost compared to Kintyre peninsular to justify again (presuming I can get the gin back at home!!)

AliceAdventures

Free Member
Mar 31, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have a G & T for me guys! Lidl home brand for me as the price is right on my budget lol have a fabulous time and keep adding these posts so i can continue to travel with you in the virtual world :) x

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello Sheila, lovely to hear from you, will obey your suggestion for G + T, might wait an hour though :whistle:

Off tomorrow to north of Islay, looks like there might be some big beaches there, hoping to overnight there, will try to sort out my photo problems (y)

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We had rain all evening and couldnt see tge isle of arran, let alone sunset, we left culzean ccastle and now at airdrie visiting friends.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So Islay is nearly done

Note of caution, we came to stay as long a we needed, not bothering to book a return crossing, lets see how things go

So today the weather is closing in for the weekend we decide tomorrow is time to head back to mainland, did last lap of Islay, some really nice scenery on top of the island, the down to Ellen Port area, decided to pop in to ferry office to check for room on the 09:45 ferry.

No space till Monday :Eeek:, but you can go on standby for tomorrow, there are three for 09:45 but none for 07:00, I presume that means that there are three stand by places for 09:45 so we will have one of those please, no sir there are three people already on the standby list. OK but you have no places for standby on the 07:00? No sir you can be first standby for that crossing

OK, yes please, pay our £60.90 one way, no discount for booking return at the time

Phone rings, haulier cancels his lorry for 07:00 so we are on, but sail at 07:00, we have not even opened our eyes before 8 yet this week. so are settling down to sleep on the docks tonight with 6 lorries already

Kintyre peninsular tomorrow, might go straight over to Arran, or drive round the peninsular then Arran on Saturday, don't think those crossing are so booked, only 30 minutes on the Arran from here

Will we do Islay again? not sure yet, definitely prefer the western isles

Mind you the gin from Bruichladdich (The Botanist) is worth coming over on its own, free samples at bar as soon as you walk in, decent samples too, bought a case but need to source that back home :cheers:

Will let you know where we stop tomorrow (y)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We had rain all evening and couldnt see tge isle of arran, let alone sunset, we left culzean ccastle and now at airdrie visiting friends.
A good friend of ours lives in Fisherton, and overlooks the Clyde to Arran. The local saying is:
If you can't see Arran - it's raining. If you can see Arran, it's going to rain ::bigsmile:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Did Arran 3yrs ago. Stayed at the golf club in Lochranza (think it's spelt right). Fantastic. Parked by first tee, next morning woke up with motorhome surrounded by a herd of red deer. The owner came and moved them off, where they wandered down to the 7th tee & disappeared into the forest. The island is wonderful. Viking longboat, museums, Arran clothing, especially good is the fishing. Enjoy (y)(y)(y)
My profile pic is Lochranza with the deer

Lin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back