Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Thinking about spending a few nights on the Isle of Arran first week in March.
Any suggestions for places to wild camp and what will the midges be like at that time.
Lindsay

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thinking about spending a few nights on the Isle of Arran first week in March.
Any suggestions for places to wild camp and what will the midges be like at that time.
Lindsay
You’ll be fine regarding midges, we camped/parked behind the coop in Brodick with no issues. We’re not at home just now so can’t find all the other stops we made, will let you know in a few days.

If you’re sensible you’ll be fine just about anywhere

Deleted User
There is a toilet disposal point behind one of these buildings on the sea front.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
carthorse

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Thanks for the reassurance about the midges that was the one thing worrying me after some of the horror stories on fun.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It was our first mh trip to Scotland. No shortage of parking places suggest you look at wildcamping and search for sites. We then took the ferry to the campbeltown peninsula some good spots there too.

Deleted User
With regard to the ferries keep an eye on the weather as the Ardrossan to Brodick ferry is prone to postponement if there is a bit of a wind and the lochranza ferry doesn't start until March 27th.

OP
OP
carthorse

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Thanks for the hints and tips Arran it is .
Lindsay

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I love Arran. Even in the midgie season the south coast, facing out towards Ailsa Craig, claims to be midgie free. When we were there a few years ago we were eaten alive in the north of the island but not a sign of them when we went south.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Good chemical toilet disposal at Blackwaterfoot behind the public toilets (run by volunteers) saw an otter there behind the bus stop !
Will check for my favourite stopover and get back to you..with info on where to top up water..

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
We cracked our shower tray whilst on Arran campsites were happy for us to use their showers..dump all waste and fill up with water for £3/£5
We used one called Bridgend holiday cottage and campsite on the B880 or the road is locally called "The String".......... No need to use their water as we could get it from a tap outside toilets at Lochranza.. next to to the ferry check in..
My favourite wildcamping stopover was off the A841 signposted North Sannox pony trecking centre and drive down to the shore, it's a mile north of Sannox

Enjoy Arran..we found it was very motorhome friendly

OP
OP
carthorse

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Thanks for that liverpoollass very useful really looking forward to getting up there.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Nice big carpark at Makrie Standing stones. Standing Stones to walk up to and quiet at night. Plenty of quiet places to stop along the west coast. It's not as populated as the east coast.
Lochranza Caravan and Camping are nice people - next to the golf course. We have camped on their site and it is not expensive with the added bonus of deer wandering around in the village.

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Hopefully doing SWC300 this May/June and looking at popping across to Arran for a few days it looks a loverly place.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Midges usually are out in the last week in May, unless we have a unseasonable warm spring,
In Ayr at the moment with a bit of snow

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Try browsing on Google Earth, go to street view & see what takes your fancy, you'll be spoilt for choice with wild camping.
Don't block anyone's driveway & you'll be doing fine.

One word or should I say request to make of the OP, don't bring all your supplies etc from the mainland, yes it's cheaper to buy in a supermarket but, like any islands economy they rely on sales to stay in business & nothing is guaranteed to rile the natives as much as holiday makers completely freeloading.

Arran has a magic about it, so whatever you do, have a great time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back