Isle de Re or Isle d'Oleron? (1 Viewer)

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are off on Sunday for a month. Our first few nights will be spent in Belgium, before seeing some friends in Germany for a couple of days. After that, the rest of our trip will be spent in France working our way down to Lyon, then Parc Verger, staying at aires or France passion sites in between. One we leave PV, we have 9 days before our crossing back is booked. We'd like to spend 7 of them on one of the islands, but are not sure which one to choose. Can any of you let us know which you preferred & why please? We are happy going for long walks with Tilly, cycling and wandering around markets etc and would prefer to be near the sea.
Looking forward to hearing you'd experience's, many thanks.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We loved both islands , isle de re is prettier and was full of parisenes when we went in school holidays but plenty of safe cycle tracks.
The isle d 'Ron is bigger and again has many cycle tracks and huge areas of salt producing lakes. We like the fact you can cycle to Fort Boyard and catch the ferry to La Rochelle for the day!
Sorry not much help!!!
Enjoy your trip !!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I'll de re. (y) would be my first choice. As Anthea says, small, prettier and more a tourist attraction for a first visit. We went to St martin and from there we could get to anywhere on the island by bike and we are by no means active cyclists.!!
I'll de Oleron is also worth a visit but don't rush it, save that for next time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
It's been a long time since I've been to the Isle de Re but I'm pleased to see it is the choice that the answers above made ( I've not been to the other one). Bicycles are the best way to get about, the lighthouse and the Cognac and Pinneau distillery definitely worth a visit. Avoid Paris school holidays unless you don't want to sit in any of the bars and restaurants

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We haven't been for a few years but from memory Isle de Re is prettier, I think there is a toll on the bridge to get onto it. Isle d'oleron seemed to have more Aires and spots for motorhomes to park.

Both have plenty of cycle routes.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Both have basically the same characteristics scenery-wise - mainly flat, at least one fortified town, a lighthouse, a bridge, SW coast more dramatic, NE coast more quiet, loads of cycle tracks, markets, crafty places and boutiques in the bigger towns, salines and oyster beds everywhere, and a few supermarkets dotted about. Plus loads of walled second homes for well-off urbanites. Neither is especially MH friendly for parking outside the aires or campsites, so bikes are by far and away the best mode of transport.

As for differences - Ile de Re is more upmarket, and even charges an 'environment' toll on the bridge to keep le riff-raff out. St Martin-de-Re is a bit more stylish than Chateau-d'Oleron but both have their merits. Chateau has a sort of crafty village attached, in the old wooden fishing shacks, which St Martin doesn't. Oleron has a few aires that used to be campsites, so you get big grassy pitches with EHU and a basic shower block but at aire prices. With Re the aires tend to be more compact - a couple of them are like compounds at the front end of campsites.

I think if my other half was choosing she'd say Re (apparently better shopping), whereas I'd say either, although if you want access to a decent SW facing beach, it's easier to park the MH next to one on Re, in the aire at Bois-Plage-en-Re. Re also has the amusingly named village of Ars-en-Re, whereas Oleron has no villages with smutty sounding names.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Re is more attractive for tourists. St Martin is a stunning town HOWEVER we preferred Oleron for more free choices of aires no cost of 15 euros to use the bridge and the towns appeared more interesting with each one appearing to have a market or brocade each day. Beaches on both are stunning so check wind before deciding whether east or west coast is better on the day

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I would add that you don't have to be some lycra-clad loon with no front brakes to cycle the length and breadth of both islands without difficulty. There are sloping bits but very gentle as a general rule. If you want to feel the wind in your hair on a bike the only way to do it is to ride halfway up the main bridges then freewheel back down again for a laugh. Everything else is very sedate.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Isle de Re is the posh one, obviously. The lack of toll for the bridge means the riff raff prefer Isle d' Oleron. ;)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The toll bridge into Re costs €16 in the peak season but reduces to €8 on 12th Sept ... there is no charge for leaving the island (just like Wales:rolleyes:)
Excuse me! But now you pay both ways, I haven't been into Wales for a while but I read about it so I think I'm telling the truth?
We went to the island you don't have to pay a toll to get to and that was quiet, we cycled a lot there and it was nice ,depends whether you want to pay the toll or nor, we didn't!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Excuse me! But now you pay both ways, I haven't been into Wales for a while but I read about it so I think I'm telling the truth?
We went to the island you don't have to pay a toll to get to and that was quiet, we cycled a lot there and it was nice ,depends whether you want to pay the toll or nor, we didn't!
Now I'm totally confused but that's not unusual.:rolleyes:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

Tolls only apply westbound.
It's free to get out of the Principality of England known as Wales:-

Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Went to the Isle de re in May IMO flat and boring not a place I would go back to, didn't think much of the beaches either.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We were there in July. You do only pay the toll to get on the island not to leave. We stayed at the municipal site at Are en Re, which although looking like a Gypsy encampment was actually very good. We started thinking we would stay for 2 nights and stayed for 5 I think the cost was about 16 euros a night and the facilities although not modern were very clean, lashings of hot water and the staff very helpful. I have to say although not a great fan of aires the aire just a mile or so from the site was good enough for me to want to stay at and offered hook up. The town had a market every day and Loix (a great beach) and Saint clement were well worth visiting. Some very good sites nearby too if you want to stay in them. As others have said cycling seems to be the mass transport mode, I though I was in Cambridge there were so many cyclists. We would go again but would probably want to split the visit and stay a few days around st martin and a few further up. Enjoy

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We would go again but would probably want to split the visit and stay a few days around st martin and a few further up. Enjoy

If you go to St Martin, you might as well cough up an extra Euro or two for a pitch and some facilities on the 3 star municipale rather than squeeze into the aire next door. We love aires but always use the municipale at St Martin.

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Isle de re would be our first choice, but both Isles have a lot to offer,especially if you take your bikes, nice and flat. Stayed on aires on both Isles ,most were adequate and close to the towns.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Evening Lorraine. & Dave, now having just enjoyed half a bottle of Rosè I may wax lyrical, but we love Ile de Rae we have been a few times and if we return to France it will be top of our list, the whole atmosphere is special, you do need cycles though to get the best of it. Ed and I used to put our picnic basket on the back of the bikes off we'd go stopping at the local markets for fresh baguette cheese and chilled wine then pull up in poppy fields beaches or under the big tree in the harbour at St Martin's, La follote for fresh Oysters, perfect places for people watching, miles of cycle ways, we usually stay somewhere in the middle then we are good to cycle in any direction, raise a glass to us if you get there. x

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
plenty of bike hirers on Ile de Re if you dont carry bikes
we rather liked the aire at very tip of les Portes en Re
nothing there but a lovely restaurant shack and the sea

OP
OP
The Happy Hooker
Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it & @Carol , we will definitely be raising a glass to you & Eddie xx

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Both Islands are worth visiting and as you are in a MoHo with 7 days to spend I would recommend 4 days on one and 3 days on the other - then you can make up your own minds which is best for any future visits :)

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Like others,have enjoyed ille de re anyone any comments please on Noirmoutier a bit further north.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
we did ile de re then Noirmoutier, loved them both, would do both again.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Like others,have enjoyed ille de re anyone any comments please on Noirmoutier a bit further north.

Liked the municipal campsite "Camping de la Pointe" easy stroll to the town of L'Herbaudière on Noirmoutier with its restaurants and Port de Plaisance :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back