Is waxoil underseal a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I have just bought a 2005 Romahome its in good condition and I want to keep it for the long term. Firstly is it s good idea to get it wax oiled? And if so, how do I find a reputable firm to carry out the work? My own trusted garage don't do this and couldn't reccomend anyone to me .

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Like what? Please bear in mind I'm new to this, so where would I find out all the options? And who to use? I'm sorry to be asking all these questions .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
my own personal view is no on anything that can not be guaranteed to be moisture free where the waxoil is to be applied as it will seal the moisture in which is not a good thing to do!!

I have done the underside of our van with a roof seal that is flexible and breathable, stops moisture getting in and allows anything that was in there to evaporate out, been on there for about 4years and its still doing its job very well. And it can be done without any special gear, just a paintbrush and a roller

for the nooks and crannies of the chassis ive not done anything yet, van is 10yrs old and has a good inspection each year and no issues so far

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
my own personal view is no on anything that can not be guaranteed to be moisture free where the waxoil is to be applied as it will seal the moisture in which is not a good thing to do!!

I have done the underside of our van with a roof seal that is flexible and breathable, stops moisture getting in and allows anything that was in there to evaporate out, been on there for about 4years and its still doing its job very well. And it can be done without any special gear, just a paintbrush and a roller

What sort/make of roof sealer was it please?

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Could I do this myself?, bear in mind I have no practical knowledge, I know how to drove, but I have no idea how it works, rather luke my computer skills lol

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'll copy and paste my post from the other week...

"I'm amazed how many people still recommend waxoyl, on an old vehicle it is a waste of time. 2 years down the line it will be peeling off with rust underneath (if you look). I know through experience with my 1992 defender and a friend with a 2003 Nissan nivara, both times waxoyl was peeling off after 2 years with more rust underneath.

Never used old engine oil but grease is excellent, it never dries out, goes dirty and repels moisture very well for at least 12 years (my experience with a 1991 Vauxhall Nova).

Anyway that's just my experience and opinion. Use what you want :)

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Well, that's why I'm asking the wise folks in Motorhomefun, I try to do my homework before I do anything, sometimes, its best to do nothing.
I am smitten with my lovely old, but new to me Romahome, its become the love of my life and I want to do what's best for it :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have just bought a 2005 Romahome its in good condition and I want to keep it for the long term. Firstly is it s good idea to get it wax oiled? And if so, how do I find a reputable firm to carry out the work? My own trusted garage don't do this and couldn't reccomend anyone to me .
A friend of mine had his done in Leamington Spa and is very pleased with it. They do have lots of recommendations, but not cheap -see http://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/. The other good place is Rustbusters in Poole, but they are even more expensive!!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Do you think Waxoyl will sort this out on my son's Isuzu ? They did a recall in North America on the chassis spring mount due to corrosion (probably due to their litigation process) but no recourse over here ? :D
20180216_162351.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I'll copy and paste my post from the other week...

"I'm amazed how many people still recommend waxoyl, on an old vehicle it is a waste of time. 2 years down the line it will be peeling off with rust underneath (if you look). I know through experience with my 1992 defender and a friend with a 2003 Nissan nivara, both times waxoyl was peeling off after 2 years with more rust underneath.

Never used old engine oil but grease is excellent, it never dries out, goes dirty and repels moisture very well for at least 12 years (my experience with a 1991 Vauxhall Nova).

Anyway that's just my experience and opinion. Use what you want :)

Sounds good, a lot of old mechanics still mix grease with old engine oil together.
How do you get the grease in the box sections?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I bought white grease in aerosols that came with straws. I think the last I bought were Ā£18 for 6 big cans on ebay, so about the same as waxoyl.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I bought white grease in aerosols that came with straws. I think the last I bought were Ā£18 for 6 big cans on ebay, so about the same as waxoyl.

Cheers for that, may have a bash, we pick up our 2005 A class on Iveco in 5 or 6 weeks.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
When I did my 15 years old Defender 110 first with Terra Shutz then Gravitex Stone chip Finely waxoil.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mustie just did a section on rust in one of his recent videos. He does this a lot.. He coats everything in grease. as @Richard and Ann said, waxoyl can trap moisture inside and end up making the situation worse. You really need to store the vehicle inside for 10 days or so in a heated environment to get rid of all moisture first, then beat off as much rust as you can, then waxoyl...

I am currently some way through replacing all the sills on my van due to bad rust so I have taken an interest in this subject over the last year or so.

This one was of particular interest to me as he gives a good example..

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Hi Patricia
To go back to your original question.....
My personal view is no, don't put anything on the vehicle which might cover over the chassis/subframe i.e. the underneath bits you don't really see
Your Romahome is now 12/13 years old and is probably best left untreated, the time for Waxoyl would be when the vehicle was brand new with good undamaged paintwork
Moisture is evil stuff and it can easily track between the steel of a chassis and an applied covering giving a false impression that all is well
Best let it dry out naturally, parking outside is no bad thing as the underside will be well ventilated
Regards
John

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Thanks for all your input, having taken on board all your advice, I've decided to leave well alone and always yo keep a watchful eye on events.
Up to now, my 14 year old Patmobileā¤ is fine and I do have my vehicles regularly serviced, so cross fingers. Thanks folks for your input

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back