Is VAT always payable on a imported used motorhome? (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Having finally identified the campervan of my dreams, I am in the process of finding a dealer. There is just one snag; the campervan is not sold in the UK! The van will be bought new as I can spec it up to my needs and used ones are like hens teeth anyway.
My main query is: if I keep it abroad for some time (one year for example) and then import it to the UK, would I need to pay
A: no VAT or import duty?
B: VAT or import duty based on its current value at time of import? or
C: VAT or import duty based on its value when bought new?
If bought in Switzerland (VAT at 7.7%!), my brother who lives in the country would be the legal owner and me listed as second driver, if an insurance company will allow that.
The other option would be to buy it in France. My father who is resident there would be the legal owner and myself listed as second driver on the insurance. Of course, in both cases the campervan would be bought with my own funds.
I am aware of the material changes needed to the vehicle when importing it, so I just want to focus on the above. I would be grateful for any guidance as I am a total newbie here who may be all too naive with some of the questions raised!

Last edited:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Brexut - the rules are changed - you will almost certainly have to pay VAT and Duty on the value of the van when you bring it back in.

We have just sold an apartment in Malta and find ourselves having to pay duty and VAT on goods bought there - before December 31st this would not have been a problem

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No VAT if the vehicle is over 6 months old and has done over 6000 km and bought in the EU also there is no duty.

Switzerland is not in the EU , vehicles under 30 years old VAT is payable at 20% unless you are a resident of Switzerland and have been a resident for more than 12 months and have owned the vehicle for over 6 months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So they will have to pay the VAT in the EU I imagine.
If they live in the UK I think, but not an expert, if it is a new vehicle they will no pay VAT in the EU but they will pay it see plus duty.

If it is a second hand vehicle imported they will pay VAT and duty in the UK.

Best to pick up the phone to Customs enquiry line and be prepared to wait on the phone a long time for a hopefully definitive answer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Thank you for all the contributions although I am still a bit vague about the answer as some of the answers given do conflict with one and another. Looks like if there is no benefit in the van being in my brother's ownership in Switzerland before importing it, I might just as well find a German dealer with a dedicated export department who will do most of the legwork.
I have sent an email to HM Revenues & Customs and will come back here once they have replied.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
beware of falling foul of tax evasion laws. You will have to pay tax and VAT when you buy it. Either here as an import or in Europe

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That only applies if you are transferring residency not if you are U.K. resident and importing a vehicle
If you are UK resident and importing a vehicle as long as it is 6 months old and 6000km then you don’t pay VAT although that is from Germany not sure about other countries.
We have done it 3 times now.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are UK resident and importing a vehicle as long as it is 6 months old and 6000km then you don’t pay VAT although that is from Germany not sure about other countries.
We have done it 3 times now.
If you buy a second hand one then VAT will have been paid by the original buyer when it was new so could that be why? Can't be certain as never done it.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you buy a second hand one then VAT will have been paid by the original buyer when it was new so could that be why? Can't be certain as never done it.
Yes we have not paid VAT when importing if used, we did once in 2007 when importing a new Hymer from Germany, we paid VAT twice and then got the German one refunded in that case.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Having finally identified the campervan of my dreams, I am in the process of finding a dealer. There is just one snag; the campervan is not sold in the UK! The van will be bought new as I can spec it up to my needs and used ones are like hens teeth anyway.
My main query is: if I keep it abroad for some time (one year for example) and then import it to the UK, would I need to pay
A: no VAT or import duty?
B: VAT or import duty based on its current value at time of import? or
C: VAT or import duty based on its value when bought new?
If bought in Switzerland (VAT at 7.7%!), my brother who lives in the country would be the legal owner and me listed as second driver, if an insurance company will allow that.
The other option would be to buy it in France. My father who is resident there would be the legal owner and myself listed as second driver on the insurance. Of course, in both cases the campervan would be bought with my own funds.
I am aware of the material changes needed to the vehicle when importing it, so I just want to focus on the above. I would be grateful for any guidance as I am a total newbie here who may be all too naive with some of the questions raised!
You would be taking a huge risk with dodgy insurance , if something happened the insurance would not pay out if they had a sniff of deception :eek: and if you do make false declarations getting any insurance in the future would be interesting :unsure:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You would be taking a huge risk with dodgy insurance , if something happened the insurance would not pay out if they had a sniff of deception :eek: and if you do make false declarations getting any insurance in the future would be interesting :unsure:
It wouldn't be deception, it doesn't matter who pays for it, the MH would be registered in another family member's name as the owner with BW as a driver on the insurance.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
It wouldn't be deception, it doesn't matter who pays for it, the MH would be registered in another family member's name as the owner with BW as a driver on the insurance.
its the main driver and base location as many insurance companies have clamped down due to the number named drivers being the main/sole user of the vehicle. There have been a few cases I am aware of recently where the insurance company has refused to pay when the car has been pranged. I am sure it would raise a question if the van wa stored in one country/used and the owner lived in another ,
But everyone makes choices, pay the money, make the declaration, take your chance its a lot of money/van to risk to save a little bit of VAT. But then again I am a little goody two shoes when it comes to things like that and would never take a risk, I be too worried that something would go wrong

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I had a conversation on this subject with a Southampton based Customs agent this week. As from 1st January anyone importing a vehicle new or used from the EU WILL be liable for VAT on the value of the vehicle. If you had resided in the EU purchased the vehicle while you lived there and then moved back to the U.K. bringing it with you you would not be liable for any VAT. It seems that there will be very little to gain by purchasing from EU dealers henceforth. There are no sliding scales for age reduction.
Unfortunately someone negotiating this deal didn’t read the small print!!!!!
Another Brexit bonus!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
its the main driver and base location as many insurance companies have clamped down due to the number named drivers being the main/sole user of the vehicle. There have been a few cases I am aware of recently where the insurance company has refused to pay when the car has been pranged. I am sure it would raise a question if the van wa stored in one country/used and the owner lived in another ,
But everyone makes choices, pay the money, make the declaration, take your chance its a lot of money/van to risk to save a little bit of VAT. But then again I am a little goody two shoes when it comes to things like that and would never take a risk, I be too worried that something would go wrong
But he wouldn't be the registered owner, it would be his relation who owned it and he would just be a user of the vehicle. You don't actually have to own a vehicle now to be able to insure it, you are now asked if you are the owner, registered keeper, main user etc when taking out insurance.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
But he wouldn't be the registered owner, it would be his relation who owned it and he would just be a user of the vehicle. You don't actually have to own a vehicle now to be able to insure it, you are now asked if you are the owner, registered keeper, main user etc when taking out insurance.
I am referring back to 'fronting'
Everything you need to know about insurance fraud (lv.com)

this makes interesting reading and can be concerning how we can be unintentionally as well as intentionally at risk

scary stuff if it's accidental

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It would have been much easier to find one 6 months old and 6000km on surely?
Or is it such a rare model?
The post brexit rules may have changed.
I've met a couple in Portugal who bought and shipped 2nd hand tractor parts to uk.
They may have to close their business due to import duties now.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The post brexit rules may have changed.
I've met a couple in Portugal who bought and shipped 2nd hand tractor parts to uk.
They may have to close their business due to import duties now.
The Gov website says this page is out of date so fat lot of good that it is, why don’t they just update it?

Upvote 1

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I am referring back to 'fronting'
Everything you need to know about insurance fraud (lv.com)

this makes interesting reading and can be concerning how we can be unintentionally as well as intentionally at risk

scary stuff if it's accidental
Ah, I see what you mean now, yes fronting is something completely different though. I agree that he would have to be the first mentioned on the insurance if the main driver (ie his relative) wasn't going to use it at all, that's for him, and his relative, to discuss though. The chances are however that if the relative has never had a MH insurance previously the premium could be quite high compared to the UK buyer on his own.

One of the first things I would do if I was wanting to go down this route is to ask an insurance company if a MH left in another country for 6 months or more could be insured by someone living in the UK as the main driver but who is NOT the owner (ie the relative in the other country where the MH is kept.

To be honest, whilst it 'may' save a lot of dosh it sounds like a LOT of hassle.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back