Is this what happens when 'wild campers' aren't considerate? (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Our 10.5t RV is MOT'd as a class4 heavy motor car. :)
but your is a heavy car ...m1 category under the international vehicle classifications mi vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising of no more than eight seats in addition to the driver.
yes it also carries goods . your goods that arent for hire or reward . thats why you need a hgv licence and get private hgv road fund licence .
if you were carrying goods it would change to a n2 class and then require hgv mot and a change of road fund .

as to eating in vehicles is chewing chewing gum eating /eating a sweet. its a stupid rule that really cant be enforced.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Which of course you can't, but it has turned into some sort of motorhomers urban myth. Yes there are less restrictions than in England but you can't legally just park overnight anywhere.

BTW Iona was a very friendly place and we also did the boat trip out to Staffa and Fingal's Cave - very highly recommended.

Anyway, one picture does not tell the whole story. :)

There is a large and 'legal' car park about 200 yards away where you can park your motorhome. There is also a brilliant (and cheap) campsite right next to a beach with stunning views and clean white sand just about 4 miles away.

The car park subject of the 'comprehensive' sign is for the ferry, including coaches and , and is FREE, however obviously at some time there has been a problem with inconsiderate parking, hence the need for the sign.

View attachment 110320 View attachment 110321

KH
Actually why not come to Norway and experience a true vehicular 'everymans right to roam' instead. Moreover you could fit the total sum of Scotlands 'wild places' into one Norwegian fjord.
I would also add that my first job when I wildcamp is collect all the litter left by the cars which bob in and out all night throwing their Costa coffee cups, chip papers, MacDonald food wrappers and condoms out of their windows ...(I don't remove the condoms) ... and plastic doggy bags ... There is usually a waste bin and a doogy bin close by. Motorhomers IMO are some of the most environmentally aware people around. .
Better watch your back movan, pretending to be collecting litter is a common migrant tactic to cover the fact they are trying car doors and nicking bikes. Seen it used all around Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Quite correct, this signpost carries all the wrong signals. Totally wrong for a place that's supposedly a tourist attraction.
The signpost is not on Iona. It is on Mull - at the entrance to the quayside where the carpark is. The aim is to stop inconsiderate parking in what is a busy place.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would also add that my first job when I wildcamp is collect all the litter left by the cars which bob in and out all night throwing their Costa coffee cups, chip papers, MacDonald food wrappers and condoms out of their windows ...(I don't remove the condoms) ... and plastic doggy bags ... There is usually a waste bin and a doogy bin close by. Motorhomers IMO are some of the most environmentally aware people around. .

I always pick up litter as well Joy. When we were in Troon with @irnbru and @andy63 photos were taken of the "before" and "after". There was also a litter pick in Hawick at the aire.... It doesn't take long and if everyone did it the place would soon look much better.

I did try to make a difference in Perth but all the bins were full, as were the recycle facilities. The black bags people had left beside the bins were being raided by crows so it was a futile operation.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The sign may be a bit OTT but it's for folk who don't understand what a CAR PARK is

upload_2016-6-11_14-7-0.png

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just a thought.. being a bit of a devils advocate ..........

Is Iona a self governing and financing island that has zero support from the mainland ?

If it is then the above is a fair comment..
If it is not then anyone driving a motorhome ( or indeed any vehicle ) does pay and is not free loading

We all pay considerable taxes in the form of VEL's and fuel tax.
Part of that tax is used in environmental support across the UK.. the WHOLE of the UK
What we pay for is limited though isn't it John? Limited to being able to drive, park and camp on roads where there is no restriction preventing one or more of those activities.

Where there is a restriction (such as the one which has been in place since 1978 to ensure the preservation of Iona) then we haven't paid to use the restricted area have we? :)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Anyway, one picture does not tell the whole story. :)

There is a large and 'legal' car park about 200 yards away where you can park your motorhome. There is also a brilliant (and cheap) campsite right next to a beach with stunning views and clean white sand just about 4 miles away.
KH

Couldn't agree more - except the campsite is a bit closer than that I'd say! I loved it there, best campsite I've ever visited - if you want to park in rows on marked pitches and have hookups and fancy facilities then avoid like the plague, if however you want possibly the most beautiful views I've ever seen from a campsite, the beach about 10' from your door and (when we went at least) almost total peace & relaxation, then it's well worth the trip!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The ferry carpark is tiny, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, there is a large car park nearby. We stayed at the site pictured above and although we wild camped most the other part of our trip, this site is worth paying for.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
as to eating in vehicles is chewing chewing gum eating /eating a sweet. its a stupid rule that really cant be enforced.

Just one of the Cornwall Councils folbles i'm afraid

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Definitely closer, we walked it with the dog then took the ferry to Iona for the day, 2 miles at the most. Really nice welcoming area, Iona hotel restaurant accomodated ourselves and the dog in comfort for a good lunch. Fidden farm is one of favourite sites, definitely worth a visit, virtually nothing there but great views.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes they do get carried away with themselves .
trouble is it does seem that very often the ones that work there dont know anything cant read and write properly and havnt got a brain .
mind it can be entertaining riling them up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back