Is this trip a bit of a stretch? Sheffield - Alicante (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So my company tend to send me to Alicante a few times a year to be standby cover incase of sickness etc.

on the 18th of Feb I am due to fly there and stay in a Golf resort with a nice villa until I fly back on the 24th.

I would love to take the family with me but my wife can't currently fly so I was thinking could we all drag down there in the motorhome?

But its 1450miles. We could leave 3pm on the Wednesday and have to arrive by Saturday evening. We then can all stay at the villa for the week and check out the following Friday and have to be back home for the Monday evening.

Looking at it I am not sure its doable with the 2 year old. I have driven Amsterdam to Madrid in one hit before. It took me about 21 hours but that was just me in a Toyota MR2 and I was a bit younger.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Absolutely not

Possibly just the 2 of you, but that would mean either paying a fortune in tolls and driving virtually non stop. 7 hours + driving a day for three days running would wreck any benefit you might have gained while away

Plenty on here drive the journey, some will do it in three days, most will take a week, or mybe boat to Santander / Bilbao which might just make it possible

but the 2 year old, that changes the whole event , that said it might be better than a 10 year old (y):)

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We would use the ferry from Portsmouth to northern Spain - Have a nice cruise, a good nights sleep.

A couple of hundred miles to the first site mid Spain and next day arrive at Alicante.

Let the boat take the strain. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am not going to comment on whether doable for you, as it looks totally impossible for me in such a tight time schedule. you would have to take a lot of breaks for your daughter to expend a bit of energy.
What would happen with your job if you were delayed either on way there or way back? If you must be there by a certain time, you may feel you have to keep driving when perhaps you shouldn't. A bit risky with a family on board.
Sorry, this is granny's advise ( I cannot find an old woman smiley)

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It is doable for sure but only if you don't mind driving. We regularly drive long distances in order to get where we're going as quickly as possible. We don't have kids but we have dogs who need exercise and breaks too. As an example it's certainly possible to drive Calais to Spain in a day esp if you both drive.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I regularly do the trip from here in the Charente to the Alentejo in Portugal.
It's 1300kms from door to door,maybe with car and trailer or motorhome as I seem to always be in a hurry or meeting or hospital appointment for Andrea set at one place or the otherI generally do exactly half 650kms each day,both vehicles are newish and have cruise etc.
I have come to hate it recently and without a doubt am vowing to spend longer enjoying the scenery.
I had to drive mega miles all over Europe for work before I retired,always meeting a schedule,it ain't fun.

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Perfectly doable in my mind , but you have to like driving.
Many will disagree.
I have done the run to Benidorm a few times using the tunnel.
Due to time I have always used tolls all the way.
Regular breaks to stretch the legs. I used to take my main break and sleep somewhere between Bordeaux and the Spanish border.
It used to take me about 30 hours from door to door.
The cost for fuel, tolls and crossing need to be factored in, and keeping a youngster happy.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
For me it wouldn't be a case of "is it doable"

I don't think I would want to drive all the way there and back for such a short trip.

Take your wife and child away when you have more time to saunter, relax and take in the scenery.

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think you should try it out. My eldest was an angel in the car at that age.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I am not going to comment on whether doable for you, as it looks totally impossible for me in such a tight time schedule. you would have to take a lot of breaks for your daughter to expend a bit of energy.
What would happen with your job if you were delayed either on way there or way back? If you must be there by a certain time, you may feel you have to keep driving when perhaps you shouldn't. A bit risky with a family on board.
Sorry, this is granny's advise ( I cannot find an old woman smiley)
I've found a couple of granny smiling pictures for you @Riverbankannie
images (7).jpg
images (9).jpg
images (12).jpg

By all means, take your pick

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
"This expression, which began as a translation of a term used by the French essayist Michel de Montaigne in 1580, alludes to gambling by candlelight, which involved the expense of illumination. If the winnings were not sufficient, they did not warrant the expense. Used figuratively, it was a proverb within a century."

But I am sure that you are not as dim as your post pretends ;)

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Is it doable? Yes
Will it be worth it? I doubt it but you know your family better than anyone on here so will have to make that call.
I think trips like that are great if done in a car as you can crack on when conditions allow. A motorhome no matter what make is not designed to be great at endurance events.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
That would be at least a four and a half day drive for us on toll roads, and we share the driving so we don't mind going long distances if there's a good reason for it. Three of the days would be long hauls of 7-8 hours' driving. Getting the ferry/tunnel early on day 2 or even late on day 1 is essential.

I disagree with the notion that it prevents you from relaxing when you get there. When the journey's over it's over.

Not sure if it would suit a youngster though.

Upvote 0
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Is it doable? Yes
Will it be worth it? I doubt it but you know your family better than anyone on here so will have to make that call.
I think trips like that are great if done in a car as you can crack on when conditions allow. A motorhome no matter what make is not designed to be great at endurance events.
Why is it not designed for long distance. I'm on a Ducato,many companies use these.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Why is it not designed for long distance. I'm on a Ducato,many companies use these.
You have mis quoted what I said. There is a huge difference between long distance and endurance. I have a Ducato and regularly do 400 mile trips in a day. The OP is looking at doing this plus a bit for three days on the trot with his wife and a 2 year old with him. Big miles in a limited timeframe is not what motorhoming is about and being as he doesn't need the MH at the destination, there are better options.

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Now that's an idea
We live in Leyland and when the kids were younger this was how we travelled to south of France. Crossed via ferry or euro tunnel just in time for the motorail. Parked up on the carrier, had a meal and a few drinks on the train then off to bed. Left Calais early evening arrived refreshed south of France next morning. It's a good option to consider and you'd have a car to use whilst there.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back