Is this the Norm ? (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
As we are not allowed to park Motorhomes / Caravans on our estate I have been forced to book a storage facility.
The site I have booked a plot on is a CaSSOA Gold standard one with full security measures.
Part of the conditions are that no Gas storage is allowed, which I take it means that every time I check the Motorhome in / out, I have to remove / refit the Calor bottles.
I can see the safety side of this from their perspective, but it is going to be a real pain in the backside if this is so ! It will also mean that I will have to store the gas bottles at home, which I'm not sure I am allowed to do.
Finding a local storage site was not easy, so did not have much choice.
I was thinking of having refillable bottles fitted to the motorhome, but what with finding local filling stations that supply gas ever more a problem, and if I have to carry out this procedure every time I use the motorhome, it sort of defeats the object. Also I did not want to be lifting heavy gas bottles every time.
(Although I realise the Gas will be much cheaper).

Is this the norm for storage sites to have this as part of their conditions ? What do other Funsters who use storage sites do ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Never heard of this restriction. My storage is next to a gas distribution centre where the tankers fill up so I suppose my 44L is insignificant.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
As we are not allowed to park Motorhomes / Caravans on our estate I have been forced to book a storage facility.
The site I have booked a plot on is a CaSSOA Gold standard one with full security measures.
Part of the conditions are that no Gas storage is allowed, which I take it means that every time I check the Motorhome in / out, I have to remove / refit the Calor bottles.
I can see the safety side of this from their perspective, but it is going to be a real pain in the backside if this is so ! It will also mean that I will have to store the gas bottles at home, which I'm not sure I am allowed to do.
Finding a local storage site was not easy, so did not have much choice.
I was thinking of having refillable bottles fitted to the motorhome, but what with finding local filling stations that supply gas ever more a problem, and if I have to carry out this procedure every time I use the motorhome, it sort of defeats the object. Also I did not want to be lifting heavy gas bottles every time.
(Although I realise the Gas will be much cheaper).

Is this the norm for storage sites to have this as part of their conditions ? What do other Funsters who use storage sites do ?
Where in South Yorkshire are you? I’m here south of Donny and there’s a couple of lpg stations here and one at Bramley jct1 M18

OP
OP
Y
May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
Where in South Yorkshire are you? I’m here south of Donny and there’s a couple of lpg stations here and one at Bramley jct1 M18

Sheffield. Is the one at Bramley the Morrison’s ?
They tell me it is scheduled to be removed.
May have already done so, as it was a while ago when I enquired.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Sheffield. Is the one at Bradley the Morrison’s ?
They tell me it is scheduled to be removed.
May have already done so, as it was a while ago when I enquired.
Yes it is, I haven’t heard about it being removed though🤔

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I use a cassoa gold storage place, there is a requirement to remove gas cylinders if possible, not mandatory. I have never noticed anyone actually removing bottles.

JeffX999

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 599
Exp
Since 2018
We’re at Elldis in Consett, all they ask is the gas turned off. It’s gold standard as well.

OP
OP
Y
May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie

Customer Services at Morrison’s HQ informed me that all of their filling stations were scheduled to have their lpg pumps removed as and when the station was upgraded. Bit of a bummer as my local Morrison’s had a pump when I ordered my motorhome, now gone tho !
( the pump that is !). 😡

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Insurance requirement ?

OP
OP
Y
May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
This storage facility seem to be very strict on rules.
Recently had an attempted break in, so immediately closed the site to all customers. No Motorhomes or Caravans in or out for two days, or any access to your vehicles.
Not that there would have been much demand just now I suppose.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I assume the no caravans and motorhomes is part of a covenant on the property? It might be worth checking if the covenant is still in force (they are often put in place by builders / developers who don't enforce once the site is complete / sold or have gone bust). Sometimes the covenant is worded so that the vehicles can be kept behind or to the side of the buildings. It's worth checking.

I can't help about storage as our van is at home (no restrictions here).

OP
OP
Y
May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
I assume the no caravans and motorhomes is part of a covenant on the property? It might be worth checking if the covenant is still in force (they are often put in place by builders / developers who don't enforce once the site is complete / sold or have gone bust). Sometimes the covenant is worded so that the vehicles can be kept behind or to the side of the buildings. It's worth checking.

I can't help about storage as our van is at home (no restrictions here).

Yes Puddleduck, we have such a covenant in force.
Annoys me that company vehicles of all shapes and sizes are allowed to park tho.
The problem is also we have a couple of neighbours who jump at the first opportunity to cause trouble and complain to the authorities.
Not worth the hassle any more. If that lottery win ever came, would be out of here quicker than you could tell them to “Go Forth and multiply “
Politely of course ! 😉

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
My storage site "Gold" has gas must be off and disconnected.
Not rushing to mess with all the pipes in the refillable system.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
CaSSOA Gold storage site for us (C&MC)
T&C's -
All gas supplies to the Outfit must be isolated by turning the valve of all storage cylinders to the off position before entering the Storage Compound or Storage Area. This valve must be left off until the Outfit has left the Storage Compound or Storage Area.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

Customer Services at Morrison’s HQ informed me that all of their filling stations were scheduled to have their lpg pumps removed as and when the station was upgraded. Bit of a bummer as my local Morrison’s had a pump when I ordered my motorhome, now gone tho !
( the pump that is !). 😡
The services have been upgraded so I assume that the LPG has been removed.
I use the storage at Marquis in Dinnington and have never been asked to remove our gas bottles.

OP
OP
Y
May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
Dinnington is where I will be storing my motorhome.
When I booked, the receptionist went through the terms & conditions and was very particular about the gas storage. I seem to remember there was also a large sign at the entrance stating “No Gas Storage “.
I thought at the time with the large number of vehicles there, I could not imagine everyone removing their tanks every time. And what about those with fixed tanks ? I have yet to collect my motorhome, so will see what occurs when I arrive for the first time.
Finding local storage with spare capacity proved very very difficult, I was relieved to find Dinnington had a vacant plot, so gladly accepted the offer.

I have not checked any more local stations with LPG pumps recently. With regard to Morrison’s, I was informed by their HQ of their intentions. My local station had their pump removed when upgraded, so I assumed the information to be correct. Local Shell and BP stations have also withdrawn their LPG pumps.
I must check again.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I wonder if the Morrisons thing is down to local demand? Ours in Kings Lynn is next door to the station and many taxis run on LPG.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
The services have been upgraded so I assume that the LPG has been removed.
I use the storage at Marquis in Dinnington and have never been asked to remove our gas bottles.
He’s just said it’s only on one side now (the inner side) instead of either side🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DJT

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Notwithstanding neighbourly relations... if the covenant is held by the developers, not the council, the neighbours can whine all they like.
The covenant is unlikely to be enforced.
Other option park it outside their house... perfectly legal.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Yes Puddleduck, we have such a covenant in force.
Annoys me that company vehicles of all shapes and sizes are allowed to park tho.
The problem is also we have a couple of neighbours who jump at the first opportunity to cause trouble and complain to the authorities.
Not worth the hassle any more. If that lottery win ever came, would be out of here quicker than you could tell them to “Go Forth and multiply “
Politely of course ! 😉
The covenant maybe in force but who would enforce it? The original landowner who wanted it the covenant set up may not be around to enforce it and if you approached your solicito/ may be the conveyancer who acted for you when you purchased they will be able to assist you.
An alternative is to go on the Land registry website for your area and you can search for your home and see who owns the ground lease then you can check for yourself i they are still in existence.
if they are not just ignore anyone who starts to winge about you parking.

obviously if you are paying ground rent to someone then they are the first people to discuss matters.

OP
OP
Y
May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
Either Morrison’s HQ were telling me porky’s, or they have had a change of strategy. Hoping the latter is the case. 😯

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back