is this the future, a snip at 200 Grand for a Coach Built (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Yes we do. It's no different than everyone getting home at 5pm and putting the hob, kettle tv and oven on and cooking dinner. We don't suffer power cuts when that happens and and it won't happen for car chargers
It is completely different. The sort of usage you are talking about is mapped and fairly predictable so the Network suppliers bring generation on line as required.

However there is a finite amount of generation capacity. At one time this country had a very large over capacity but since privatisation that has reduced considerably because it costs money to have generators sitting idle.

What mass use of electric vehicles means is that all the potential energy presently stored in petrol stations is going to be transferred as a demand on the electrical generation network, a demand that has neither been planned for, nor has the distribution network been upgraded to handle this huge extra demand.

To put it simply for you, you can have as many 13A sockets in your house as you like but plug consumers into them all that need 13A and your house fuses will blow because your house system isn't big enough to handle it nor are the wires coming into your property big enough. (FYI most houses have an 80A supply. This handles the overall house demands ok because you aren't using everything at once).

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
The whole roof could be a solar panel, like on some Prius cars. What’s the plural of Prius, prius,es or Pri,i ?
Phil
Its a possible and may help a little but unlikely to add much help for the large demands of electrical vehicles. I saw recently that the ISS has 4 solar arrays tilted continually to the optimum angle for generation (and of course are not covered by cloud) and these football field sized arrays generate up to 120kW, so I think your Prius is going to need quite a large roof...:)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Another advantage hydrogen has (to offset the relatively poor efficiency of water to hydrogen conversion) is that it can be made at the generation site, useful for discontinuous generation like wind or tidal power. The resulting fuel can be transported to where its needed and rapidly refill vehicles just like we do with lpg (or petrol or diesel). I believe Norway has quite an extensive Hydrogen distribution system for just that purpose and several councils etc in UK are looking at feasibility of distributing hydrogen in place of natural gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
No interest from this Luddite. Already 73 I do not see a NEED to replace our diesel engined MH and I do my utmost to base my spending on need not want.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back