Is this the cause of my airbag warning light? (2 Viewers)

MarkOgden

Free Member
Dec 7, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2017
The first time I did one....I did just that, I bought a pack of mixed resistors and started off with small values and just kept increasing the values.

I had the ignition off in between fitting each resistor and power cycled the ignition a few times after each resistor was fitted till it went out.

You could if you wanted, try the next resistor back down in size after the light has gone off, just to make sure it was the right value or the power cycling that removed the light.
Thank you

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
NEVER EVER play with airbag or pretensioner wiring with the ignition on. And wait a minute after full shutdown too as any voltage spike can trigger the system. Expensive and potentially very painful if you get it wrong

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glazier

Free Member
Feb 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ducato Conversion
Sent you a PM with images and the instructions I followed. The resistor is a 2.2ohm. The images sent and the resistor are correct for a 2010 model, so should be the same on a 2013.
Hi Wissel, after spending literally days online trying to sort the wheat from the chaff on this subject I'm hoping your images/instructions might be helpful for me. I'm swapping the bench seat and the driver's seat in my 2016 Ducato for reupholstered Ford Galaxy swivel seats. The bench seat has no seat belt warning, airbags or pretensioners fitted so that's straightforward. The drivers seat has no airbags but does have a pretensioner and seat belt warning. I've got my resistor (2.2ohms) but not clear about which of the 4 wires in the plug need to be connected to cater for no pretensioner and also what I do about the other 2 wires which I assume are the seat belt warning circuit? I'm hoping that these wires will be the same colour as the passenger seat wires you have instructions for? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Smyggy

Free Member
Apr 21, 2021
Warks
Funster No
MH
Boxer
Exp
Doing Boxer
Hi Wissel and Glazier

We have the exact same issue too. Would it be possible to send us the pics/diagram too please?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I tried the resistors in this video but the light hasn't gone off. Is there a way to reset the light?

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
If you’ve got the right sized resistors installed on the correct wires......then after several power cycles of the ignition it should realise the fault has gone and go out.

You could try increasing the resistors or decreasing them, I have a resistor simulator that I use to determine what resistance make the light go out and then fit that size resistor. You could measure the resistance across the old pre-tensioner and fit resistors to that value too.

Make sure your battery is fully charged....sometimes a low battery doesn’t give enough power to achieve enough resistance, sounds odd I know, but I had a mates van where it would come back on when his van had been stood and the battery was low.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks XxAnthxX. Not sure how I missed your post.

I have still got the same issue!

I have even bought a replacement seatbelt and wiring etc. Light is still on with that plugged in.

I drove 100 miles yesterday so I assume the battery is full.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try before I fail my MOT? :crying1:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Can you get the codes read? Maybe a funster who lives close has the capability? Im too far away although will be at shrewsbury from friday.......
When I gave my codes to crash data they said couldnt fix, new ecu required.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Try crashdata …if they can’t fix then it’s probably a new ecu. Depending on the part number late August is the first date they are giving for replacements being available.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Can you get the codes read? Maybe a funster who lives close has the capability? Im too far away although will be at shrewsbury from friday.......
When I gave my codes to crash data they said couldnt fix, new ecu required.

Try crashdata …if they can’t fix then it’s probably a new ecu. Depending on the part number late August is the first date they are giving for replacements being available.

Sounds expensive. How much is a new ECU?

Can I remove the bulb? 🤔🤷‍♂️🙈😂😉

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
A few people have given the opinion that a panel van doesn't come with a seatbelt pretensioner on the passenger side and the photographed plug under the seat is always there but not connected as standard. So perhaps the fault is elsewhere?? 🤔

Screenshot_20210629_181929.jpg

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Airbag ecu is about £400 fitted by Fiat dealer. Obviously less if local mechanic/diy. Not that big a job, even YouTube videos to help. Just make sure you disconnect the battery.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Airbag ecu is about £400 fitted by Fiat dealer. Obviously less if local mechanic/diy. Not that big a job, even YouTube videos to help. Just make sure you disconnect the battery.

Thanks. This van is turning into a money pit!

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Don't panic yet, get the codes read first.

It's not just this. The old p2100 fault code has come back. Occasionally the van suffers a lack of power and no amount of extra pressure on the throttle will make the ******* van get moving again. Have to wack it into massiy too low gear, rev the nuts off it and change up again.

As a result I've not really been using it or building it. It's going to have to go to the garage again. But that will have to wait for pay day.

Should have bought an old banger. No computer 💩!

8060afc95d8c7ffba0665b676ae65d44.gif

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
There is a bluetooth obd on ebay that works with obd doctor app. I have used the paid version app £5 for a month and cancelled the auto renew subscription. It has detailed info and life data. Much more than generic obd readers. The obd dongle was about 12 quid delivered.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Took it into a garage. They scanned it. Claim the light went out all on its own. Test drove it and no problem occured. But it's not likely if they didn't go far or fast.

Going to take it on a run and see. Not confident.

Still stuck with the airbag light. I was going to get them to fix that but as they have been unable to sort the power issue Im not confident will be able to do it.

Can anyone recommend a good garage capable of this sort of work in Cheshire?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back