IS THIS THE BEST SIM DEAL EVER? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nope.

@Munchie posted a 24gig one for something like £28 the other day. I think it was on Amazon (y)

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is the Amazon sim, out of stock at the moment but might be worth ordering in case they get them back in stock.

Amazon product ASIN B01M3VJ2B2

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They all look very good but I've also read about problems with 3.
Only today I heard a guy shouting at 3 that how come he's used 8GB in an hour?
I see that Asda has an offer on. Unlimited texts, unlimited minutes and 20GB for £10.00. Christmas bundle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They all look very good but I've also read about problems with 3.
Maybe he had some downloads/updates going on in the back ground, or hidden backing up of his phone to the 'cloud' etc which could easily gobble up the data, can't blame '3' for that! Even on this forum someone has had the same problem with stuff running in the background gobbling up the allowance on his data sim.

I see that Asda has an offer on. Unlimited texts, unlimited minutes and 20GB for £10.00. Christmas bundle.
That's a phone sim which appears to only last 30 days ... I assume after that it's back to the standard rate of £20 for unlimited texts, unlimited calls and 6gb data.

Link Removed

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Nope.

@Munchie posted a 24gig one for something like £28 the other day. I think it was on Amazon (y)
Yes, just ordered a data sim 24gb valid for 12 months. Ideal for the iPad on the NZ trip next year. Phone is on 3 as well but sadly no tethering outside U.K.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Very easily.

With a data sim in a MiFi your phone or tablet thinks it's connected to proper WiFi and will carry out the tasks it normally does on WiFi for example carrying out software updates, syncing things like photos, downloading music or video purchased on another device, lots of things really.

It would be the same regardless of what network the sim card was from.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes, just ordered a data sim 24gb valid for 12 months. Ideal for the iPad on the NZ trip next year. Phone is on 3 as well but sadly no tethering outside U.K.
If it's the Amazon one it's 24gb which lasts up to 24 months!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Very easily.

With a data sim in a MiFi your phone or tablet thinks it's connected to proper WiFi and will carry out the tasks it normally does on WiFi for example carrying out software updates, syncing things like photos, downloading music or video purchased on another device, lots of things really.

It would be the same regardless of what network the sim card was from.
Ah right. Thanks. I've got 2GB and that's over a month.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Maybe he had some downloads/updates going on in the back ground, or hidden backing up of his phone to the 'cloud' etc which could easily gobble up the data, can't blame '3' for that! Even on this forum someone has had the same problem with stuff running in the background gobbling up the allowance on his data sim.

That's a phone sim which appears to only last 30 days ... I assume after that it's back to the standard rate of £20 for unlimited texts, unlimited calls and 6gb data.

Link Removed
I couldn't really say. I didn't examine the deal, I just passed it at the counter

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This is the Amazon sim, out of stock at the moment but might be worth ordering in case they get them back in stock.

Amazon product ASIN B01M3VJ2B2

It was out of stock when I ordered yesterday but I received an email informing delivery 23rd Nov so stock must have been received .

Also ordered on e bay EE 10gb 30day £11.95

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Does anyone know if the 3 data sims can be activated in France / Spain or only in the UK prior to travel .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And did anyone find the answer to my suggested problem that some ofthese 24gb and some 12gb sims over 1 and 2 years are actually misleading you
as they are in reality a 1gb per month for 24 months and 1gb permonth for 12 months not quite the same as a "proper 12gb or 24gb sim that you can use up in a week if you wanted too is it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
And did anyone find the answer to my suggested problem that some ofthese 24gb and some 12gb sims over 1 and 2 years are actually misleading you
as they are in reality a 1gb per month for 24 months and 1gb permonth for 12 months not quite the same as a "proper 12gb or 24gb sim that you can use up in a week if you wanted too is it
Where did you find that from, can't remember reading about it previously ... please give info.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It was contained in some of the feed back reviews on the first thread, as I read it, it was mainly aimed at 12 month 12gb sims,
but that caused me to ask about the 24gb as these were for use over 24 month and that set off alarms, there were complaints just as I have outlined
I too had never heard of it but there are complaints out there so they must exist.
I wondered if anyone had checked it out?
I dont need any at the mo thanks to your tip at "my memory a few weeks back" but if it is whats on offer i for one would be very put out
1 month I may need non but the next 3 gb thats my choice i certainly wont be happy with 1gb per month !!!! i also suspect and it is a guess that it may also be a use it or loose it each month
The T&Cs should be strictly scrutinised before jumping in
on the other hand it may suite some perfectly
G

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Don't see the advantage of this when abroad as automatically cuts you off when reached data limit abroad so can't use the full 24gb??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It was contained in some of the feed back reviews on the first thread, as I read it, it was mainly aimed at 12 month 12gb sims,
but that caused me to ask about the 24gb as these were for use over 24 month and that set off alarms, there were complaints just as I have outlined
I too had never heard of it but there are complaints out there so they must exist.
I wondered if anyone had checked it out?
I dont need any at the mo thanks to your tip at "my memory a few weeks back" but if it is whats on offer i for one would be very put out
1 month I may need non but the next 3 gb thats my choice i certainly wont be happy with 1gb per month !!!! i also suspect and it is a guess that it may also be a use it or loose it each month
The T&Cs should be strictly scrutinised before jumping in
on the other hand it may suite some perfectly
G

@Geo I think you may be reading some of the very old reviews from when the first lot of these sims came out a good few years ago, these are the latest question and answers relating to how much data you can use, having used the 12gb one abroad and in the UK I've not had any problems going over 1gb a month:

Question:
Link Removed

Answer:
Yep. It's a fixed amount of data - you can use it in the first day, or over the course of a year. Completely up to you :)
By RossDC on 25 April 2016
yep, it's 12gb to use as you wish, it's all there on day one but expires after 12months.
By Amazon Customer on 25 April 2016
yes you can
By EBS Telecoms Broken Link Removed on 26 April 2016
yes, data runs out whichever comes first, data usage or days/months left
By carolmac on 25 April 2016​

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't see the advantage of this when abroad as automatically cuts you off when reached data limit abroad so can't use the full 24gb??
As I've posted above, you can use the full 24gb if you want but it would be a maximum of 12gb a month abroad, so 2 months if you really wanted to go to town on data usage!

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If I can use 24gb in January when I need this, then I'm doing very very well indeed

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
If I can use 24gb in January when I need this, then I'm doing very very well indeed
Don't know when you will be in NZ but if it is for month of January as Minxy quotes you will only be using 12gb then stopped using it further there.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Don't know when you will be in NZ but if it is for month of January as Minxy quotes you will only be using 12gb then stopped using it further there.
That's fine - it is only for the iPad and when out of wifi range so 12gb will be plenty

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
In my book then better value to buy 12gb for £22.98 rather than £28 unless you use data card when back in U.K. Only saying all this to get my head round the different decisions to be made when purchasing 3 data SIM cards. (More complicated for me as my home, Jersey is not counted as UK but at long last 'A Feel at Home')

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Even on this forum someone has had the same problem with stuff running in the background gobbling up the allowance on his data sim.

Android is bad at this, it defaults to enable automatic upgrades in the Play Store ( a ridiculous name ), you have to got into Play / Options and turn off automatic upgrades. And be away the next time you upgrade the upgrade might turn it back on.

Same on a Windows PC of course and W10 you can't turn all automatic download off.

I'm afraid the tail now wags the dog, we are losing control of our gadgets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back