Is this really a good idea?? (2 Viewers)

Dave F

Free Member
Mar 14, 2015
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 2001
Exp
Who are we:
Dave & Marion - Used to go camping when kids were young, but gave up as they got older. Now we've got grandchildren and we're moving into retirement, thought this might be a good idea ...
What have we got:
A 2001 CI Carioca 10 - Dave bought this from a second hand car dealer last October while Marion was away for the week. - On reflection, that probably wasn't the best way to go about getting a motorhome, and he now has the task of convincing her that actually it probably was a good idea.
Where have we been:
Warwick in October. - We learned that

(1) If you drive away from your site and don't leave a marker that someone else will turn up and park in your spot when you come back later that night :(
(2) That some campers are not very forgiving to newbies and make an (I think excessive) fuss if they think you park too close to them (we weren't that close...you could park a car between us). It's not easy to reverse into a space late at night in the dark if you've never done it before :(

Hopefully we'll find friendlier campers, otherwise I'll have a real job on to convince M this really is a good idea....

Bridlington, November
Just wanted to get this van out for a second time before its too cold to go anywhere. Booked a Caravan & Camping Club CCL. No unfriendly campers this time, in fact, no other campers at all!

We found that Motorhomes get stuck in mud easily, and landed up eating our breakfast for supper in the middle of a cold lonely windswept field, :( instead of going out for the steak meal we'd promised ourselves in the nice pub a few miles away :mad: .. Next morning we managed to slide our way to the exit...

Still need to convince M this really is a good idea....
What else have we done:
Service & MoT, Washed the curtains and covers; fitted reverse view camera, bike rack and swivel drivers seat; reordered inside and cleaned it up to make the whole thing look and work more like M would like it to.

Joined motorhomefun and planning on going to the Stratford Rally in June- Hopefully you guys can convince M this really is a good idea....​

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello and welcome

same name, same issues, but I got there, keep at it

but avoiding muddy fields is a must

I hope to meet you at Stratford (y)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I'm sure you will get there Dave. What's not to like :rolleyes:
Welcome to Fun where all your questions will be answered....... Some may even be sensible answers :rofl::rofl:
:welc:

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Congratulations and welcome.

You broke all the 'rules' when buying you first MH, however the MOST important thing is that you now HAVE a MH. :)

I have seen quite a few postings on here from people who have been following the 'rules' looking for their perfect first MH for years and still haven't found it! They have missed out on quite a lot of MH'ing.

You however have purchased one and have begun to tweak it to your satisfaction and in the meantime have been learning and enjoying (apart from the unfriendly experience in Warwick).

Life is too short to keep putting things off until every 'i' is dotted and every 't' crossed.

You lived up to my motto - GOYADI.

Get Off Your A**e And Do It!

Well done.

KH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi & Big Welcome from the Isle of Wight,
Well done for sticking with it , Most (in my experience) mo/ho owners are usually friendly , some are shy or reserved (perhaps thats why they didn't seem friendly) others do tend to camp in groups so tend to look a bit clicky , we've always found them helpful if you have a problem and ask for help ( because most of us have similar problems in the past) they will offer there experience & help.
Get yourself along to the funsters area at Stratford, you will definitely have a much different experience.
Terry & Ann

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi and welcome from Glasgow.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
On your next trip take Marion where SHE wants to go, even if you don't. If it's a town then buy her a small gift as a memento. In the evening take her out for a meal so that she can relax. And remember the most important thing: - A happy wife means a happy life!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi and welcome...:D

I wouldn't worry too much, don't let a couple of bad experiences put you off, we all have been there (and I'm sure there will be more to come:LOL:).

Summer is on it's way........a good suggestion from Rob & Val though:D

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Well done, I too have a reluctant OH & just got our first, a Hymer last month. Not been anywhere in it yet but like you been giving it a good clean and getting it as I want it. Hope to get away after Easter for a few nights. and hope to get to a rally or two, maybe Stratford. She's coming round slowly. Must make a note though to avoid the muddy field, that would be a real downer!
Can recommend France though, we hired last year and loved Brittany.
Chris

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Joined motorhomefun and planning on going to the Stratford Rally in June- Hopefully you guys can convince M this really is a good idea....

If Stratford does not do the job you are stuffed, dead, ex-motorhomer, extinct.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Don't worry---we've all done things on the first few trips ( and in my case a lot longer) that we've shaken our heads over.
I've had to be towed off my own garden.
Followed the sat nav along a track that petered out into a French field. Farmer told me to carry on, it'd become a road in 300 metres--didn't mention the muddy bog and low lying trees in the bit before the road. I got through , checked the solar panel was all in one piece but failed to notice the TV aerial had been displaced. Then it rained, heavily, that night--inside my motorhome.... It was all fixable, no permanent damage done.

Come to a Fun rally or two, follow Rob an Val's advice above and I'm sure your wife will soon come to love motorhome life.

Welcome to Fun, btw.

OP
OP
Dave F

Dave F

Free Member
Mar 14, 2015
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 2001
Exp
In defense of my wife....

Hi folks and thanks for the welcome - and the comments.

I might be guilty of using a little journalistic license here. My first post is true but actually we're BOTH looking forward to an exciting summer using the MH, and despite the drawbacks we did enjoy our first trips. - Especially the Warwick trip, which M happily remembers more for my having to drive back home in my underpants after sitting in some rotting fish rather than any experience of unfriendly campers (don't ask!).

- And M had seen our van before we bought it, I just needed to go back with a mechanical friend to double check condition and see if the dealer would drop his price to our budget (which he did).

So don't worry, I've not got TOO much convincing to do!!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hello and welcome to the Fun!

This is probably the steepest learning curve you'll come across so all you can do is put things down to experience and vow you'll never make that mistake again...until next time :)

Deleted User
Hello and welcome, we only got our first one last June, big learning curve too. The funsters are very helpful, and even more so when you meet them in person to pick their brains. Happy travels

Lin and Nige :)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Hello, welcome :welc:
From pat & les, we are new to Fun too. They are very helpful on here, specially if you want a laugh. :LOL:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
My first wife didn't think that! But then I learned from my mistakes ............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back