Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Been down to the boat chandlers snd saw this very expensive polish on the left. €38 a tin!! anyone used it? is it any good?

image.jpeg

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Jim.

Used Starbrite products on our Rib
worked a treat(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use autosmart new image . look on ebay about 27 quid for 5litres .
been using it for about 35 years great stuff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Supposed to be the best. However, you say 'chandlers', and you slap a third on normal prices.

A bit cheaper on FleaBay

Broken Link Removed

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Broken Link Removed
from Fox's Marine & Country

Our Ref: PBMG-4516 Restores brilliant gloss on fibreglass and painted marine or RV surfaces after cleaning. Only for use afte the surface has been cleaned and restored 'like ...

Broken Link Removed
£14.00
+£3.99 shipping
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I have tried it on our boats previously but, in my opinion to be honest there are much better products.

On our current boat which is dark blue, I now use Meguires ultimate compound followed by Meguires 26 Hi tech yellow paste wax.
Lasts very well in the marine environment. I recently put a coat of 26 Hi tech on the grp bonnet of the Hymer it gives a fantastic shine. I am also a fan of Collonite which is very durable on cars but not so good on boats.

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I always used Starbright's products on my yacht and was pleased with the results; Black streak remover was brilliant. But of course if you think Motor-Home products get dearer than some, Marine products take the Pee for being extra dear.

Still if I was James Brown, a mere Bagatelle ............ :getmecoat:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Been down to the boat chandlers snd saw this very expensive polish on the left. €38 a tin!! anyone used it? is it any good?

View attachment 83466

It could be absolutely brilliant ! It could be worth double the money !

Or it could be just another re branded re packaged polish with its "kings new clothes" price tag..

Buy me a bottle and I will test and review it ?? :D:D:D

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have tried it and it's no better than Meguiars Oxidation remover which is much cheaper. But please remember it's a polish so will need a coat of wax as well otherwise your wasting your time and money

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Anyone used Chrome products on their Moho ?
I use them to clean cars that I deliver from dealerships / distribution centres and find them very good , especially “Pink “ , it’s supposed to be for interiors and tyre dressing but it’s a good quick on and off polish for removing “trailer dirt “ which has accumulated on the way there .
Any thoughts ?

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Being in the marine industry so to speak, and having owned boats, yes, the starbrite stuff is good, but very over priced. It's not a polish that you would use then be amazed about the results though.
Personally I would use a good quality polish but not an over hyped/over priced one, then finish off with 2 - 3 coats of "mould release wax". Boat builders use it to literally release the boats from the mould.
We restored a 1975 Broom 30 with original gel coat a few years back, and whilst in the workshop the guys told me about the mould release wax. I have to say, once it was done the grp was so easy to clean and remained shiny and the water just needed on it. I used to do the same regime every year and the hull looked brand new and easy to clean with cold water and mild wash (screwfix 5 lts no nonsense)
I'm going to do our van exactly how I used to do the boat, although I'll miss out the first process of descaling it with acid (which is actually blue toilet duck)
I think it's down to personal choice though. I like Maguires products so I may try their marine stuff.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

View attachment 83466

Yes, quality stuff, I use it all the time now instead of colonite 476

I use the middle one in your photo with ptfe

Much cheaper online when an offer is on

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Being in the marine industry so to speak, and having owned boats, yes, the starbrite stuff is good, but very over priced. It's not a polish that you would use then be amazed about the results though.
Personally I would use a good quality polish but not an over hyped/over priced one, then finish off with 2 - 3 coats of "mould release wax". Boat builders use it to literally release the boats from the mould.
We restored a 1975 Broom 30 with original gel coat a few years back, and whilst in the workshop the guys told me about the mould release wax. I have to say, once it was done the grp was so easy to clean and remained shiny and the water just needed on it. I used to do the same regime every year and the hull looked brand new and easy to clean with cold water and mild wash (screwfix 5 lts no nonsense)
I'm going to do our van exactly how I used to do the boat, although I'll miss out the first process of descaling it with acid (which is actually blue toilet duck)
I think it's down to personal choice though. I like Maguires products so I may try their marine stuff.

Mould release wax, never heard of that one, any links or recommendations?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I used the one on the right. It was the only polish that kept the black roof panels on our Autosleeper looking shiny.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Most fibreglass suppliers will sell it, I buy mine from a place in Norwich called Martin's Plastics, just to give you an idea of the type of factor you'll get it from
20200315_104506.jpg
20200315_104510.jpg
20200315_104523.jpg
20200315_104611.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Paul it's what fibreglass laminators use to make the part release from the mould,

IMG_0166.jpeg

The green is the Gelcoat of the mould and this has a few coats of wax, the yellow is the gelcoat that has been painted on top of the release wax., when the gel has tacked off the resin and fibreglass is laid on top on the gelcoat.

IMG_0120.jpeg

When it has all cured you flex the mould or get a scraper under a corner on the flange and you hope for a satisfying crack as the part releases from the mould, this doesn't alway happen and a "stick" can totally ruin tooling that has taken weeks to produce ? the part you see above had to be produced as a solid "Buck or Plug" and as you can imagine this is a tremendous amount of work, once the Plug is finished polished and waxed the mould is taken from it and this might have to be in several pieces with flanges to get a release from something with a lot of detail and negative draw.

IMG_0163.jpeg

This is a mould that "stuck" and the solid master "plug" had to be be chipped and torn away, luckily the mould was for an internal frame where cosmetics didn't matter and we could still use it(y)

DSC01135.jpeg

Now when you see a 7 series CAT articulated dump truck being delivered down the A1you know who did all the prototyping for all the bodywork.

Oh and to answer your question, personally I would stick to waxes designed for automotive finish.

Martin

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hi Paul it's what fibreglass laminators use to make the part release from the mould,

View attachment 369319

The green is the Gelcoat of the mould and this has a few coats of wax, the yellow is the gelcoat that has been painted on top of the release wax., when the gel has tacked off the resin and fibreglass is laid on top on the gelcoat.

View attachment 369321

When it has all cured you flex the mould or get a scraper under a corner on the flange and you hope for a satisfying crack as the part releases from the mould, this doesn't alway happen and a "stick" can totally ruin tooling that has taken weeks to produce ? the part you see above had to be produced as a solid "Buck or Plug" and as you can imagine this is a tremendous amount of work, once the Plug is finished polished and waxed the mould is taken from it and this might have to be in several pieces with flanges to get a release from something with a lot of detail and negative draw.

View attachment 369324

This is a mould that "stuck" and the solid master "plug" had to be be chipped and torn away, luckily the mould was for an internal frame where cosmetics didn't matter and we could still use it(y)

View attachment 369325

Now when you see a 7 series CAT articulated dump truck being delivered down the A1you know who did all the prototyping for all the bodywork.

Oh and to answer your question, personally I would stick to waxes designed for automotive finish.

Martin
Really Martin, was that you?? Every time I jump on one (we hire them in from time to time when the CAT 772G is broken down?)I’ll think of you (in your new morelo) whilst I’m bouncing up and down in one!! ????
Ps you’re not responsible for that pig ugly 772 are you????

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Really Martin, was that you?? Every time I jump on one (we hire them in from time to time when the CAT 772G is broken down?)I’ll think of you (in your new morelo) whilst I’m bouncing up and down in one!! ????
Ps you’re not responsible for that pig ugly 772 are you????
Just the good looking one that they developed and build at Peterlee,

8873_8419445225308.jpg

We prototyped all the plastic bits on the tractor unit except the cab so the hood, wheel arches, side pods and then the cooling package behind the cab.

It was an interesting job as we had not done anything on that scale before and we had to work out some novel ways of getting from their CAD models to the real thing.

PA140019_2.jpeg

Quite interesting going from this to a finished component.

Martin

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I realise this is an old thread, but.....a few years ago Charlie recommended this as a suitable polish for general MH use:
download.jpeg

I've used it (manually applied) and the results seem very good. Followed by a wax coat of Collinite 476S.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Yes, ok on my fibreglass bonnet and pod over cab. The 3800 is a fairly low-cut polish. They also do it in a variety of grades.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back