Dec 17, 2011
Reading
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630g
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi guy's

New to motorhome accessories and asked my motorhome dealer to install a 4-way Fiamma bike rack and a 2 camera reversing camera setup with the monitor mounted as a rear view mirror.

He has quoted fitted £500 for the camera and around £450 for the rack fitted.

I want to keep with the supplier of the motorhome while it's in warranty I.e. if the rack falls off or damages the van everything is sored under warranty and doesn't affect the motorhome warranty held with the dealer. I would normally install this type of thing myself but don't want to invalidate the warranty.

Could you let me know what you think please :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi dont know about the camera but i think the bike rack fitted is expensive we had one done about 3 years ago and got our local approved mobile caravan service guy to fit it he charged £70 for fitting and took him about 2 hours.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the camera system sounds about right depending on make......quite a labour intensive job to fit and wire.

the bike rack sounds expensive......a fiamma pro is around £150, so £300 fitting is very expensive just to drill a few holes and bolt through.
the dealer should know the correct location of the strengthener battons in the rear panel so a few simple measurements are all that's needed.

Fiamma_Carry_Bike_Pro[5].jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Although not having paid to have either fitted, I would be thinking of it in this way.

What is the cost of the reversing camera. If it was £200 then divide the balance £300 by an hourly dealers rate of say £50/hr, which would equate to 6hrs of labour. (not sure if vat ias included or excluded).

For Bike Rack same again, about £200 for bike rack then 5 hours labour at £50/hr.

Im unclear whether other forum members would think that the hours ive specified are true reflections of actual time to be spent, but it gives you an idea of costing methodology.

Need to see what other forum members who may have done these jobs themselves think re timings

Hope its a bit of use.

-

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hi dont know about the camera but i think the bike rack fitted is expensive we had one done about 3 years ago and got our local approved mobile caravan service guy to fit it he charged £70 for fitting and took him about 2 hours.

So Wollow based on this, if the dealers rate is about £50/hr and it should take 2-3 hours say then labour should be about £100-£150 for this element+the cost of the bike rack. Might be worth asking what their labour rate per hour is. Id expect it to be between the £50-£70/hr if its a dealership.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Although not having paid to have either fitted, I would be thinking of it in this way.

What is the cost of the reversing camera. If it was £200 then divide the balance £300 by an hourly dealers rate of say £50/hr, which would equate to 6hrs of labour. (not sure if vat ias included or excluded).

For Bike Rack same again, about £200 for bike rack then 5 hours labour at £50/hr.

Im unclear whether other forum members would think that the hours ive specified are true reflections of actual time to be spent, but it gives you an idea of costing methodology.

Need to see what other forum members who may have done these jobs themselves think re timings

Hope its a bit of use.

-
i agree on the camera fitting hours estimate but the rack should take no more than 2 hours......even DIY should take no longer, and these guys will have fitted one before.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The price of the reversing camera will be influenced by the make and features. I had a fairly simple colour Camos system fitted about three years ago by Dave Newell (MHF trade member who offers a discount). I think it cost about £400 at the time, but that model is no longer made and prices are a bit higher now. Have a look at Dave's website for indicative costs - I would recommend him, based on my experience of more than one visit for servicing and extras.
http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

Also there are other trade members of 'Fun' that you can consider.

Cannot comment on the price of fitting a bike rack, but I would not have thought it to be too time consuming a job.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just to explain with my bike rack the cooker and fridge had to be moved for access as they are on the back wall so im sure as pappajohn says it would be a very simple job if nothing in way.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Does your van have the rack fitting's pre fitted by the maker or is it a complete fit with the 4 fitting points, my van came with them fitted so a straight forword self fit, also I am in the process of fitting a camera it's a bit tricky but its going ok at the moment, I do agree with other posts it is a bigger job than it looks but I will carry on has it's now half done lol . Pete :thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Camera sounds sort off OK, bike rack seems expensive, if you want just give Glenn my workshop manager or Ian a ring on 01-580-883061 during the day for a price he would charge

Pete

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi guy's

New to motorhome accessories and asked my motorhome dealer to install a 4-way Fiamma bike rack and a 2 camera reversing camera setup with the monitor mounted as a rear view mirror.

He has quoted fitted £500 for the camera and around £450 for the rack fitted.

I want to keep with the supplier of the motorhome while it's in warranty I.e. if the rack falls off or damages the van everything is sored under warranty and doesn't affect the motorhome warranty held with the dealer. I would normally install this type of thing myself but don't want to invalidate the warranty.

Could you let me know what you think please :thumb:
Hi you say they gave you a price IE £500 and £450 if you agreed this price it is irrelevant as to it being expensive or not.You could easy walk and get the job done elsewhere :thumb: If you have had the job done then pay the asking price if not then IMO it is expensive ::bigsmile: so go elsewhere :winky:
terry

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Bought and fitted - £49.99 - 7" monitor and camera ... perfect.:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Camera sounds sort of ok IF it is one of the pucka split level ones.. If it is 'yer achual bog standard' thing, I would say he is about £400 to dear !

Bike rack.. About an hour to fit on most vans.. so make up your own mind ( total sort of depends on which model Fiamma your getting ) Basically I fear you are being quite badly ripped off.. yet another stealer to avoid by the sound of it !

Re warranty issues..
Unless a warranty claim is directly related to work done then it is not affected
In other words, if you install a bike rack and the rear wall pulls away THAT would be a problem.. But in the case of installing a camera or rack and you get a water leak from the sink or whatever then that would not affect any warranty
Dealer might tell you otherwise but he is then both talking out of his bottom AND trying to rip you off on the work as well..

In many ways the EU membership is a pain.. but in others, when it comes to consumer law, it is a godsend !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back