Is this classed as a motorbike A frame ????? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Can't be doing a lot for the front tyre wear pattern, but interesting (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It will be ruining the front tyre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Nifty idea, can’t say I would be happy using a ratchet strap on the throttle like that as most of them are only flimsy plastic under the grip....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't know what happens if you don't get the steering straight on the straps.

Martin

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I thought any trailer wheel that is on the road had to be braked if it was a wheel that had a brake fitted ?

Section 3 https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van-the-basics
I would agree , I suppose you could fit a wheel without a brake and it would then be an unbraked under 750Kg would also require two red triangles to be used in uk , in other european countries if displaying UK plate and triangles and with an unbraked wheel fitted
would not be an a frame as such . Dont think you would get it by as a trailer to register as trailers need licensing if going that route in a foreign jurisdiction .

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Apart from any engineering problems that might be associated with this device, where's the light board/number plate mounted?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
no requirement for light board
This is the link for the road vehicles lighting regulations 1989.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

Exemptions—Vehicles towing or being towed
6.—(1) No motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and no pedal cycle or trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985 is required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any rear position lamp, stop lamp, rear direction indicator, rear fog lamp or rear reflector whilst a trailer fitted with any such lamp or reflector is attached to its rear.

(2) No trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985 is required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any front position lamp whilst being drawn by a passenger vehicle.

(3) No trailer is required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any stop lamp whilst being drawn by a vehicle which is not required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any such lamp.

(4) Paragraph (3) shall apply respectively to rear fog lamps and direction indicators as it applies to stop lamps.

(5) No trailer manufactured before 1st October 1990 is required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any stop lamp or direction indicator whilst being drawn by a motor vehicle fitted with one or two stop lamps and two or more direction indicators if the dimensions of the trailer are such that when the longitudinal axes of the drawing vehicle and the trailer lie in the same vertical plane such stop lamps and at last one direction indicator on each side of the vehicle are visible to an observer in that vertical plane from a point 6 m behind the rear of the trailer whether it is loaded or not.

(6) No rear marking is required to be fitted to any vehicle by regulation 18 if another vehicle in a combination of which it forms part would obscure any such marking.

(7) Where a broken-down vehicle is being drawn by another vehicle-

(a) regulations 18 and 23 shall not apply to the broken-down vehicle between sunrise and sunset, and

(b) between sunset and sunrise those regulations shall apply to the broken-down vehicle only in respect of rear position lamps and reflectors.

(8) The references in paragraphs (3) and (4) to a vehicle which is required to be fitted with a lamp shall be construed as if paragraph (1) did not have effect.

The main point is this.....
Regulation Change

6(4) The exemption from the need for a small trailer to be fitted with any stop lamp or direction indicator when those on the towing vehicle are visible to an observer 6 m behind the trailer will not apply to a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1990.

This covers any amendment to the rvlr

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's no way I'd put my bike on that ... they're not supposed to take that sort of 'wear' on the front never mind going backwards! Not to mention the force exerted on the front wheel, mounts, dampers etc ... totally difference force to when you'd be riding it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you normally put the front wheel in the frame .
intertrade used to do them for recovery . rac etc always had them in their trucks and vans . i have one here . i usually used it for towing trikes .have towed m,bikes but as said wears tyres and chain even though you arent riding it .
the better thing is use one of the two wheeled spec frames for carrying m,bikes .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do not I would use it but I must be honest... I do like it !

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
But just think of the value you'll be adding to your bike by running the speedo backwards. (y)

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
you normally put the front wheel in the frame .
intertrade used to do them for recovery . rac etc always had them in their trucks and vans . i have one here . i usually used it for towing trikes .have towed m,bikes but as said wears tyres and chain even though you arent riding it .
the better thing is use one of the two wheeled spec frames for carrying m,bikes .

Hi @vwalan - have you any info on one for 3 wheelers - thinking of a Piaggio MP3 scooter :)

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Would it be legal to use one in France, Portugal or Spain???

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

Exemptions—Vehicles towing or being towed
6.—(1) No motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and no pedal cycle or trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985 is required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any rear position lamp, stop lamp, rear direction indicator, rear fog lamp or rear reflector whilst a trailer fitted with any such lamp or reflector is attached to its rear.

(2) No trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985 is required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any front position lamp whilst being drawn by a passenger vehicle.

(3) No trailer is required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any stop lamp whilst being drawn by a vehicle which is not required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any such lamp.

(4) Paragraph (3) shall apply respectively to rear fog lamps and direction indicators as it applies to stop lamps.

(5) No trailer manufactured before 1st October 1990 is required by regulation 18 to be fitted with any stop lamp or direction indicator whilst being drawn by a motor vehicle fitted with one or two stop lamps and two or more direction indicators if the dimensions of the trailer are such that when the longitudinal axes of the drawing vehicle and the trailer lie in the same vertical plane such stop lamps and at last one direction indicator on each side of the vehicle are visible to an observer in that vertical plane from a point 6 m behind the rear of the trailer whether it is loaded or not.

(6) No rear marking is required to be fitted to any vehicle by regulation 18 if another vehicle in a combination of which it forms part would obscure any such marking.

(7) Where a broken-down vehicle is being drawn by another vehicle-

(a) regulations 18 and 23 shall not apply to the broken-down vehicle between sunrise and sunset, and

(b) between sunset and sunrise those regulations shall apply to the broken-down vehicle only in respect of rear position lamps and reflectors.

(8) The references in paragraphs (3) and (4) to a vehicle which is required to be fitted with a lamp shall be construed as if paragraph (1) did not have effect.

The main point is this.....
Regulation Change

6(4) The exemption from the need for a small trailer to be fitted with any stop lamp or direction indicator when those on the towing vehicle are visible to an observer 6 m behind the trailer will not apply to a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1990.

This covers any amendment to the rvlr

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm
But the EU directive requiring that standing 3m back & parallel to one side or the other that you have to have a clear & unobstructed view of the rear lights on the opposite side .
Therefore that would not comply, same as any bike rack below lights does not, & requires a lighting board.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
But the EU directive requiring that standing 3m back & parallel to one side or the other that you have to have a clear & unobstructed view of the rear lights on the opposite side .
Therefore that would not comply, same as any bike rack below lights does not, & requires a lighting board.

Easy to fit a trailer board though :)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I like it. I particularly like the option of clamping through the axle, like they did with the BMW GS, that'd be solid!

I do agree that it could probably do with a trailer board though.

My main issue is though, what's the weight on the tow bar? Half of a 200kg bike (and that BMW will be quite a bit more), plus a few more kg of that frame, all cantilevered beyond the tow bar.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Yes, but you can't see the number plate, so it is illegal. At the very least you would need to put an illuminated number plate somewhere.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Why not just use a trailer.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Why not ride the bloo*y thing (n):notworthy:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
with this new bike you don't need to worry just put a tow rope on it
2018_Yamaha_Niken_001.jpg

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Not exactly new just a little different .Ideal for recovery ,sold last one last year .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back