Is this bad advice for flooring? (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I watched this video by a guy who was installing a floor in a self-build -

The video is 10 mins long, so just in case you don't want to watch the whole thing, I'll list the 2 points that made me feel uncomfortable. The first is the way he attaches the battens. He lays out the pattern, and then drills pilot holes through the wood and the metal floor. He then drives screws down to secure them. Obviously this creates a good solid structure, but my feeling is that it could introduce potential rust problems in the future. My inclination would be to glue the battens to the floor - would this be a better option?

The other thing he suggests is an engine oil wash over the battens and the floor. His theory is that this gives protection if the van develops a leak, but I think it creates a serious health risk, I think I would prefer to use a decent paint,or maybe even just leave it untreated.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I renewed the MOT on mine recently, and only had one advisory. That was for a couple of small chips in the windscreen. Those were fixed by one of those repair services in the supermarket car parks. They charged me £10 to fix them all, and they made a good job of it.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
normal practice now is 25mm roofing batten as they are tanallised and 25mm celotex type insulation between them if your using 9mm ply then about 400mm spacings in the center ailse and areas of footfall but under cupboards you can go wider i would put one down the center then one either side roughly in front of the furniture line then one either side of that with extras by the side door

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think he is doing a good job and that none of you have considered that he is being quite creative. I assume that he will fix battens to the roof also. The holes in the floor will then be ideally placed to let out the water from the leaking roof. Not so silly now is he?

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I am going to put something on here now that may offend ...

It amazes me how how all of a sudden a lot of You have become professionals in the 'self build' of a truck? What gives you the rights to condemn their ideas? Who is actually right or wrong?
Has any one bothered to follow it all the way through or have you condemned it/him on the first video? Which Sounds like most of you have!
Feel free to shout or rant and rave ...stand on the pedestals you have put yourselves on and preach to the " world of all self builds ' that you know better! You really don't! None of you have the right to preach in the way that you have done on here regarding this project!
Has anyone of you bothered to consider the facts that this IS A REAL BUDGET that they are working to?
It is a pure self build and not one that has been built on the back side of a "How to actually build a self build" book! Do you see the masses of money waiting to be spent on it ? No you don't ! Why ? Because it is what it is...Its a Budget self build!
Come on for goodness sake...feel free ..I dare any one of you to video your own self build! I just wonder how many others on here reading this thread would look at it and say that it was any better! Go on...I dare you ...show it like these guys have done. All the bits and pieces! Warts and all! I'm sure that it cannot all be perfect!
These guys have done something that they considered to be, a chance to have their own motorhome for the small amount of funds that they had available.
Yes... I have seen the whole video series and followed them afterwards on their own web link too hence my response to this thread.
Personally....I take my hat off to anyone who tries to make something better in life for themselves.
I was always bought up to believe in any Possibilities.
The thought that something was possible in mind...could actually be done with a little time and effort and of course... a little Money.
What ever the idea ...promote it and give it a chance before you rip it up and tear it in to pieces because you ....THINK ...You know better.

Surely...should we not praise the effort that has been put in rather than criticise ?

Remember the old adage....Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable!

.....We cannot all be perfect now can we?

Kev

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
@ K&C

I agree that it is great to see what others are up to. My purpose in starting the thread was really just to confirm my concerns about the two points I mentioned. I have seen far worse conversions in other videos. Hopefully I will receive some comments about my efforts, and constructive criticism is always helpful for future projects.

Thanks for everybody for confirming my initial opinion. One has to be so careful with the info available on YouTube. Some of it is pure gold, but most of it is rubbish, or amateur bodging.

Talking of amateur bodging, I'll post a description of my over-wintering wood burner bodge, and you can all use that as a how-not-to-do-it thread. I just need to work out how to stop the exhaust from melting the window surround. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

It amazes me how how all of a sudden a lot of You have become professionals in the 'self build' of a truck? What gives you the rights to condemn their ideas? Who is actually right or wrong?
Has any one bothered to follow it all the way through or have you condemned it/him on the first video? Which Sounds like most of you have!
Feel free to shout or rant and rave ...stand on the pedestals you have put yourselves on and preach to the " world of all self builds ' that you know better! You really don't! None of you have the right to preach in the way that you have done on here regarding this project!
Has anyone of you bothered to consider the facts that this IS A REAL BUDGET that they are working to?
It is a pure self build and not one that has been built on the back side of a "How to actually build a self build" book! Do you see the masses of money waiting to be spent on it ? No you don't ! Why ? Because it is what it is...Its a Budget self build!
Come on for goodness sake...feel free ..I dare any one of you to video your own self build! I just wonder how many others on here reading this thread would look at it and say that it was any better! Go on...I dare you ...show it like these guys have done. All the bits and pieces! Warts and all! I'm sure that it cannot all be perfect!
These guys have done something that they considered to be, a chance to have their own motorhome for the small amount of funds that they had available.
Yes... I have seen the whole video series and followed them afterwards on their own web link too hence my response to this thread.
Personally....I take my hat off to anyone who tries to make something better in life for themselves.
The thought that something was possible in mind...could actually be done with a little time and effort and of course... a little Money.
What ever the idea ...promote it and give it a chance before you rip it up and tear it in to pieces because you ....THINK ...You know better.

Surely...should we not praise the effort that has been put in rather than criticise ?

Kev
Exactly what I think as well , I thought he was doing a brilliant job, I would have put the oil in before the battens, that would of stopped his screw holes from rusting, yeah and I have seen the next one's as well, don't know what the knockers will reckon to his insulation, :D , our first van was a ldv , loved it , went all round Europe in it but not a van to spend a lot of money on as the rust follows you round :( but the fun value is immense , no worries about knocking it or anything.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Having done a few conversions over the years, more than one on a very tight budget, I agree we should be supporting not condemning somebody's efforts. One one build (rebuild) I took a transit hi cube that had been a race van/jetski transporter, rust on the floor was a big issue. I cleaned any rust back to bare metal and primed it. I battened the floor by bonding with sikaflex. I sprayed waxoyl between the "joists" and covered with polystyrene and 9mm ply onto that. I drilled gas drop points through the floor and treated the edges too.

What I am concerned with on that shoestring budget build is the safety and longevity of the structure. You invest countless hours / days / months of blood sweat and tears in a conversion, any conversion. For that reason, seeing your efforts rotting away within a few years must be awful.

Secondhand parts can be scrounged for very little money. Many damp caravans can be picked up free for towing them away. Reuse and modify the furniture to fit the van. But invest what you can in the base van, the insulation and the shell. It will pay you back by lasting longer.

Upvote 0

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Wouldn't do that, but I have a funny story to add. A mate was telling me about his dad. They were doing work in their house in the 1960's they had a rot problem under the stairs, it was replaced by a carpenter after the job was finished his dad painted the wood with creosote. Every time they open the under stair cupboard you can smell the creosote even today. I wouldn't paint the wood with oil it won't smell like creosote does but you might get the whiff of oil. Paint is a much better option.

Upvote 0

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch

Kev
Love this post. But i see your dare, and raise you a thread full of errors. ?
People learn from mistakes, be it your own or someone elses. In my limited experience I've always found you learn more from the negative than you do the positive. Always.

Upvote 0

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
@ K&C

I agree that it is great to see what others are up to. My purpose in starting the thread was really just to confirm my concerns about the two points I mentioned. I have seen far worse conversions in other videos. Hopefully I will receive some comments about my efforts, and constructive criticism is always helpful for future projects.

Thanks for everybody for confirming my initial opinion. One has to be so careful with the info available on YouTube. Some of it is pure gold, but most of it is rubbish, or amateur bodging.

Talking of amateur bodging, I'll post a description of my over-wintering wood burner bodge, and you can all use that as a how-not-to-do-it thread. I just need to work out how to stop the exhaust from melting the window surround. :)

How dare you assume we on this forum will give constructive criticism what ever next :oops: :whistle:;)

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

I`m no self build expert as I said in post no. 2, but the thing is, even I can see that any one of those drill holes into the floor could have done unseen damaged a brake line. Maybe not enough to cause a fluid leak now, but enough to cause corrosion in the future and an eventual failure of the brakes. Guaranteed to be at the worst time.
With a little research he could have done things so much better and for no extra cost.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
[
I`m no self build expert as I said in post no. 2, but the thing is, even I can see that any one of those drill holes into the floor could have done unseen damaged a brake line. Maybe not enough to cause a fluid leak now, but enough to cause corrosion in the future and an eventual failure of the brakes. Guaranteed to be at the worst time.
With a little research he could have done things so much better and for no extra cost.
Again I say ...come on! We are all capable of taking note of something we wish to do. Yes?
So ...DO you honestly believe that he was going to drill though the floor without checking for brake pipes etc? Do you honestly believe that what you have just said ....he has not already thought about? Seriously?

Be serious for a moment here.. Do you think he would just buy into something and drill /hammer/weld / what else would you like me to add ? Before he had actually thought about it a little?
Give the bloke a chance...I have built an aeroplane (Albeit a micro light ) does that make me an engineer in my field? No of course it does not. However...I know personally that when it was certified for flight...I had achieved something truly special ..and to me I had succeeded in my actions.
Now I am sure that there were things I could have done differently at the time of its build.
I personally ..... just wanted to prove a point. That was...That I could do it!
Im guessing here but..His approach may be questionable to those of you who think they know better. That aside...what you have to look at is this......he has done it and...Succeeded too!
Even with out the worry of rust and or a brake pipe cock up!
Even the wright bros thought that when they built their aeroplane it was always going to fly. What they did not consider was....what if it did not?
Its a rusty screw hole moment or a drilling through a brake pipe moment!
It was not a consideration ...Why? because they knew what it was they were doing.

kev

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I admire you faith in the competence of the converter (y)
I hope it`s not me or my family in front of him when he needs his brakes in a hurry.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
could not agree more live and let live hes having a go any mistakes can be repaired only have to look at the amount of leaking so called manufactured vans costing a small fortune posted here good luck to the lad.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
even I can see that any one of those drill holes into the floor could have done unseen damaged a brake line.

One of the things that I like about my LDV is that it has a dual brake master cylinder system. There are separate cylinders for the front and rear brakes. If one fails, then the other one continues to work. Not so good if the front brakes fail, as they do 90% of the braking, but it means that one can drive carefully with failed rear brakes, and thus get off the road and avoid being a hazard to other motorists.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I admire you faith in the competence of the converter (y)
I hope it`s not me or my family in front of him when he needs his brakes in a hurry.

You do it every time you sit in your truck when on the road! Why think that anything is any different to being in front of him?
You may drive your Hymer and others their Cathargos or whatever brand you can shout out loudest . That does not make you any more safe than the guy in the LCV? Why? Because the bloke in the LCV will be more safety aware of his job being done.
But if the professionals out there have a bad day and for what ever a reason that may be ... (Ask Minxy lass and Go european and the paint jobby saga etc plus others i am sure..) even the professionals can and do cock up! Half the time you are never told about the faults ? They just get sorted.
Here you go ...look at this for the professional way of doing something (or not as the case became ...Not the right way !)

2017 plated Autotrail 634 when we bought it 18 months ago...
Supplied Direct from AT Grimsby to Go European Cannock for them to sell on to us .
First faults ...Electrical issues with the sergent box in the cupboard...Wiring not connected to certain lighting sockets ? Terminals covered in sticky tape (Clearly over looked and not tested.
Main EHU socket into van has four screws holding it on the side wall with Adhesive of sorts preventing water ingress (Supposedly) ....Screws found to be not holding the unit as they came out. A plastic tie was used to secure it from pulling away from the side walls! Replaced and fitted again but with rawl plugs?
Rear light cluster right hand side...screws not holding and securing to wall of the truck? Removed to find double side tape securing it? Was advised that this was "normal ? "...Ermmm I dont think so?

Number plate lights....This was absolutely marvellous this one !

The holes cut out for the lamp assemblies had been cut too wide! The guy who had to fit them wrapped self adhesive (White ) tape around the lamp assemblies to make up the size needed! Then....the screws went in diagonally ! You could not make this up seriously!

Finally to cap it off....there was a damp issue not long after we had it. Found out that the side wall of timber in the garage section had not enough sealant thus allowing water ingress .
NOW......This was done by "The professional" !

There are threads on here telling us that Hymer has failed to look after its customers with new trucks and that their build quality has seriously gone down hill, Auto trail are forever being hammered one way or another. Amongst all the others on here who have issues after issues with what ever truck that they have.....It finally comes down to the professionals who build them!

Now how does all that differ from the bloke with a self build in his garage? Apart from the money issue or lack of it for back up in the case of the self build bloke ...He would have to thoroughly check it out regardless and make sure its safe and all is correct would he not?
He has no option but to do so .
Where as the Professional approach is left to a number of people who are supposed to check these out before it gets on the road but quite often...they do not .

Do not assume that Your truck or mine or whoever's is any better built. Quite often...they are not.

As regards being in front of his truck when he applies the brakes...no problems. It will have been sorted of that i am sure.
Now Yours/ mine would be a different matter now wouldn't it? Have you/I changed the brake fluid recently or had new brakes or even gone as far to check your pipework underneath for durability and corrosion? You See...we have to rely on someone else to make it right and We assume then it is done correctly too...do we not? So What makes that any different to what he's done?

My rant is complete! .....Just rubs me up the wrong way when someone tries to do something for the good and make their lives a little better , to have some else come along and try to bring them down..and for what reason?

Kev

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I wasn't trying to bring him down, but I was interested in finding out the best way to convert my van. I need to do my own conversion, because I don't have standard requirements, and I'm also a prepper and anti the globalist elite. However, most of the things that I need to do will be standard van conversion tasks, and I don't want to make the same mistakes that have been made thousands of times already.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Wild Brambles...I was not having a go at you bud. It is just the way that some others like to look at things said and then , with their own interpretation of something spoken or written as the case may be, like to just have a go and "turn the screw a little "..
I am sure what ever you do..It will be better than some of the so called professionals you hear about . Quite often the ones who build their own ...put more effort in to making it right .

(y) Kev

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Doing a self build , or even a bespoke build in a panel van is a bad starting point especially for uk use , as the amount of thermal bridges are enormous , they are also not a good shape , the saving grace I suppose is they are abundant and relatively cheap . One of the biggest mistakes from my POV is using half a forest on the inside , which is very popular on the self build front , that being a negative on weight , but positive from insulation . Plastics seem a better flooring material , which seems to be direction on a few continental vehicles. I don't see that selfbuild vid as that bad , especially when you are having to achieve on a tight budget . JMHO

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Well thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm having motivation problems. It took me a couple of weeks to sort out a filed centre bearing on my prop shaft. It's a nothing job, but most garages turned down the work, and the two that greed to do it, refused to do the work when I turned up. and one mobile mechanic didn't bother to arrive as agreed. The reason for turning down the work in one case was because the van was too big, and in the other case, it was because I had sourced the bearing myself. I paid £19 for a new bearing, and the garages wanted over £60 plus labour.

The job was easy. I only had to remove six bolts, drop the drive shaft, and split it. The only problem that can arise is an out of balance prop shaft if you don't replace it on the same splines. Just mark both halves with a bit of paint, and make sure they line up when you replace it. Don't forget to add a bit of grease as well.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
He is young and enthusiastic, he is on a learning curve, I can remember being young (late teens) and bodging a couple of projects I just laugh at my young self and how naive I was, I bet we have all been there.

As long as he is happy it doesn't matter. He will learn and hasn't cost hime a fortune if it stinks of oil his partner won't want to us it, if the conversion is too heavy it probably won't get on the road, if it turns out OK he will have a couple of years in a conversion he has done so maybe no harm is being done. Wish him well he may be a member here and if not now in the future...

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think you can get Cellotex that is already bonded to ply. That may be the best idea for the floor.
I think you'll need a vapour barrier between the walling and wool insulation. Water may condense on the outer skin and cause problems otherwise. Have you thought of expanding foam for insulation?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would like to bet this lad knows every inch of underneath this van , he's had welding done so must have been underneath.
He knows what he has done , does anyone who buys a ready done one know?.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If this lad was born with hindsight he'd still be blind :doh:
Just where did his inspiration and ideas come from:Eeek:
Sorry but its laughable
With all that oil about and timber it will make a nice bonfire next time it wants welding
10 to1 the welder gets the blame.??

Upvote 0

Adrian Mudle

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago
While I'm not expert on DIY van conversions, I've watched a few more of this guys YouTube posts, and I know some are concerned on the weight issue, so you are aware he has used chipboard floor panels, and clad the interior with Tongue and Grove panelling not the lightest materials, ideal in a house or shed, I trust the LDV van has a good payload, from my electronics background, I know he should not be using standard household twin and earth for the wiring, only positive to this is when joints breakdown with the vibration its only 12 volts that's going to be floating around or shorting out blowing a fuse or two.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Water may condense on the outer skin and cause problems otherwise. Have you thought of expanding foam for insulation?

I've started to stick Reflectix on the inside as a vapour barrier (well the Lidl equivalent).
I'm very taken with sheep's wool insulation for acoustic, thermal, environmental and hygroscopic properties

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Even professional converters get it very wrong at times and to try and avoid it do this

The worst of these that I have seen, the fridge ripped free and nearly exited the van via the windscreen. It would have killed the occupants

There is a massive amount of energy dissipated in even a 30mph collision. Ensure all the parts you are installing are well attached

Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
He doesn't always check where his screws are going. Episode 19, he does a quick update before explaining his hot water system. Van failed MOT because of electrical problems took 2 or 3 weeks and £700 to sort out. He sprayed expanding foam in the side walls and screwed wood panels to it and through the wiring running down the van, I presume brake light etc.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back