Is this a tyre bulge or something else? (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
800CA933-FF80-4654-BEF9-FC8B01FBD3D0.jpeg

On a site in Brittany on front levelling blocks. Front tyres both 57 psi. With the sunlight in a certain direction I see an indentation on both fronts around 1:30 - 2:30 position. When I move tomorrow I’ll find out if it’s caused by the blocks (must be as its both wheels and in the same position) or something else but I’ve never seen it before. Should I be concerned?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I don't like the look of that, what make and how old are the tyres. I have never seen it on any of mine after being on levelling blocks.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yes you should be concerned, any deformation in a tyre concerns me. We have a tyre company owner on this forum so I'm hoping this will get his attention.

@Brian and Jo , can you help here with your intimate tyre knowledge?

Cheers Griff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not sure why it would be caused by the levellers but it certainly doesn't look right of be inclined to have them checked out somewhere just to be on the safe side

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I imagine it would be highly unusual, if not impossible for two front tyres to have these indentations due to a manufacturing other fault perhaps as you suggest it has been caused by the blocks can you not reverse off them and see what the ryrezrdo over a few hours. If they don’t return to normal they may have some internal damage. Could you consider calling your breakdown service, they may be happy to come out and examine the tyres and at least reassure you they are ok to drive on for a short distance to a local tyre dealer for advice and perhaps replacement. Good luck.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Does it have the same indentation on the inner wall also?

OP
OP
WonkyBass
Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
4 years old. 17,000 miles from new. Continental Vanco 215/70 R15 CP. All rims were changed twice under warranty so the tyres have been on and off a few times - may be a factor?

Now I am off the blocks I can see/ feel another couple of similar indentations on one of the tyres but nothing on either rear.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Could be what is known as “a slight manufacturing defect”

Sidewall indentations
The sidewall of a tyre is not always completely flat and even. There are sometimes bumps
or indentations which may need to be looked at.

tyre-7-sidewall.jpg
Indentations like the one shown here are harmless and will not affect safety or driving characteristics.

The sidewalls of a tyre include embedded threads which give the tyre its strength and transfer steering and braking forces.

When a tyre is manufactured there is always at least one overlapping seam. It is this seam which is sometimes visible as an indentation after the tyre is fitted and inflated with air – although usually they are more or less invisible.

This information is for guidance only. Remember, tyres are safety components and customers should always be referred to an approved Audi Centre or service agent in the first instance, so that diagnosis can be carried out by qualified service personnel.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
my work van has a similar indentation on the front offside i had the tyres fitted about 3 years ago and it has never been kerbed so I think its just a slight manufacturing defect, keeping an eye on it after noticing it about a year ago, my tyres are coopers

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just checked mine and two of the four are similar, perhaps not so pronounced (Michelin Campers). I've had the same with others tyres on other vehicles, that have run their life without problems. I think it is just a manufacturing "feature" ;), but I'm no expert.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've seen it on car tyres usually on old ones, wouldn't like to comment on if it is a safety issue.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They are what are called manufacturing undulations and are regarded as a visual defect of no significance
for MoT test purposes, in other words a cosmetic fault

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i had the same and it was deemed as cosmetic by 2 different tyre dealers

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
All 4 of our Michelin Agilis tyres had similar indents from new. I looked around the dealers when we were collecting the MH and could see it on all the ones I looked at once you looked closely.

OP
OP
WonkyBass
Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Wow, love Motorhome Fun! You get this consensus of experience. Thank you all responders. We’re returning the UK on Tuesday and I will have them double checked there.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I’ve just had 4 fitted at P&B and the one has a bump on it. Spoke to Brian today and he’s changing it for me, well he’s probably all ready done it but I forgot to pick it up..........only work a few yards away
:think:

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Years ago I had a car where the spare was kept in a cage under the car and then clamped up. I found similar marks on this tyre probably because of being clamped up tight.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The pics above are acceptable , sometimes occur due to build of carcase . Having said that as a tyre supplier of over 15 years , if you see any abnormality , get it checked by a reputable tyre dealer .
A ply failure usually manifests as a outward bulge , this should be dealt with immediately . HTSH

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
All 4 of our Michelin Agilis tyres had similar indents from new. I looked around the dealers when we were collecting the MH and could see it on all the ones I looked at once you looked closely.

Likewise - have seen this on my own (never kerbed) and others vans.

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having been in the tyre business for approx 50 years prior to retirement
18 months ago I was involved with many tyres being returned to various manufacturers for the inspection of indentations / bulges found on sidewalls of tyres both car / commercial. The most common explanation was to the fact that when the sidewalls are built a overlap of rubber compound is formed as a joint. In time this overlap springs in or outwards giving the look of a bulge or indentation, most of the time not being noticeable unless the light or water is directly on the tyre. Of course as you are aware tyres have a difficult life and bulges / indentations or unexplained marks should never be ignored , therefor always have them inspected by a tyre professional for peace of mind.

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Wonkybass,
Just realised you have the product page from Continental , I apologise for being long winded.

OP
OP
WonkyBass
Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
No problem, thanks for the interest. I assume that many people who experience issues will search the interweb seeking solutions for symptoms and I therefore thought it helpful to provide manufacturer’s answer to my original June 2018 post. Of course, if I HAD researched this properly last year on the Continental site then I wouldn’t still be troubling everyone here...

Those tyres were date coded 2013 and I replaced them all a couple of weeks ago after 20,000 miles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back