Is this a totally insane idea...? (1 Viewer)

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
I've been into astronomy since I was a kid, but currently live in an area full of awful throbbing orange streetlights. Being a new motorhome owner, I figured that can now pack a telescope and drive right into the dark countryside and enjoy the night sky as it should be. But here's the bonkers part of the idea:

Could I/should I cut a circle in the roof, mount (and waterproof) a fair size perspex dome, and be able to aim my scope into the sky in the relatively luxurious interior? Or would doing that put crazy stress on the roof integrity?

It's either a genius idea and I should patent it... or, more likely, a completely stupid one and I should forget it! Feel free to laugh at me!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Love it!
@DavidG58 have you seen this?
Wonder if @Terry could 'fix it' for you???

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
A great idea!!! You could then mount a machine gun on the roof as well,, just to get rid of some of the bloody idiot car drivers I have come across!!! Xxxx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
A86D2C14-A7EE-4111-A99E-19BBAC5D8FAA-3815-0000039513389D4D.jpeg Is this to big for you? ;)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You'd need the van stabilised surely?

Any movement at all would render the scope next to useless I'd imagine (Missus into astrophotography).

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hahahahaha - you are all even more bonkers than I am! Lovin the replies!
Agh David! Your name's turned black!!! That means you've had your 5 'free' posts as a 'guest' member and turned into a 'read only' Funster - so to keep on posting (and benefiting from this magnificent forum) you now need to subscribe - at just £15 per year it's the best motorhoming investment you'll EVER make!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
anything is do-able if you really want to do so. the roof opening would need reinforcing to prevent the walls flexing. and the van would be virtually worthless if you wanted or needed to sell

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think you could look through the perspex, if that's what you meant, too much distortion. You can buy astronomy tents, like a bird hide but for looking upwards :) for not too much money. This would also give you a stable base (MHs move in the wind unless you spend a lot on jacks) and a stable temperature. I suspect if you were to stick you head and telescope out of the roof of a MH you would be surrounded by warm and potentially moist air - until the interior of the MH became cold. Which wouldn't be much fun to experience while getting ready for bed after your star gazing. :)

Alternatively, of course, fit a camera to the telescope and control it remotely and watch the results on a screen - in warmth and comfort!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I would have thought that if you have a roof vent that you could be able to stand up in/through you could fit a dome over the opening and remove the vent lid. If sealed correctly it would only have downsides of increased running height, not being able to open and probably the most difficult would be how to stop condensation and misting due to the temperature difference.
If you do it, please can you post a picture?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If I was going to modify a MH for space exploration I'd go down the Eagle V route:

s4klbuhigwlkkgbyyqfo.jpg

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hey, you've gone blue! Welcome to the rest of the mad-house!!! :hi:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I've been into astronomy since I was a kid, but currently live in an area full of awful throbbing orange streetlights. Being a new motorhome owner, I figured that can now pack a telescope and drive right into the dark countryside and enjoy the night sky as it should be. But here's the bonkers part of the idea:

Could I/should I cut a circle in the roof, mount (and waterproof) a fair size perspex dome, and be able to aim my scope into the sky in the relatively luxurious interior? Or would doing that put crazy stress on the roof integrity?

It's either a genius idea and I should patent it... or, more likely, a completely stupid one and I should forget it! Feel free to laugh at me!
Why not just go to the C&CC site at Bellingham where they run astronomy weekends - it's near the Kielder Observatory too!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Why not tow it? No need to damage your MH and you can carry the telescope across if you change it:

IMG_2238.JPG

Give me a wave if you spot me when you are looking into outer space:

IMG_2239.PNG

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Glad to see you've gone blue @David M Franks . The best £15 you'll ever spend. I've been able to cancel my subscription to The Beano since joining this forum, and I'm thinking of cancelling my next Open University course on "British and European Law Relating to Towing vehicles in the Post Diesel Era" as I can get all I need to know on this forum.
Anyway I think your idea is excellent. I'm not sure how big a dome needs to be, but I would have thought that you could simply change one if the opening skylights to fit a tailor made dome without impacting the van integrity. @DBK has cast doubt on being able to see through Perspex without distortion, so you may have to come up with a waterproof seal around the telescope opening, or have a second, hinged dome on the outside. This could also help prevent your lens getting compromised from dead flies and other road kill.
What I really like about this is that non-astronomers, like myself, could use your invention without the telescope to a) watch bands at festivals when it is raining too hard to leave the van, and b) observe queues further forward than you can from the driver or passenger seat. You might also like to include in your design, some sort of telescopic ( no pun intended) observation chair so you don't have to stand on the bed/table/wife's back whilst doing your observing.

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Your motorhome, your money, great project, just keep us all updated with photos and feedback please. You could fit hydraulic levellers as they're meant to be the dogs dangly bits, so should steady you up nicely:)

Good luck spaceman:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Aren't you defeating the whole object of this star gazing lark, i.e. to stand outside in the middle of winter freezing your nuts off.:ROFLMAO:

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
If you have a refraction telescope you can drive out and set up. Give it 20 minutes, so time for a brew.
But, looking through any window won't work well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back